• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    Hi, new member here. Im trying to research a rifle for a guy at work. It is a J Stevens & Co. Chickopee Falls, Mass. Pat.sept.8,1884 the only other marks on the rifle are numbers on the bottom of the gun by the trigger gaurd and they 13274. Im to figure out what model it is and if it has any value as far as a collectible gun. He is looking to trade or sale but wants to know a little about it first. Any help would be appreciated. The gun is a 22 break action. What i have found so far is it was called a tip up gun but no luck on model name or number. Did find a pic of same gun in about same condition with a value of 350.00 but was a old site. Trying to get pics on here tonight. Thanks

Last edited:

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Can we get some more info? Caliber? What kind of action does it have? Some more info would help to help you.

Edit: After digging around a bit if it does indeed say "J Stevens & CO." its age is somewhere between 1864 and 1886. In 1886, they became incorporated and the name became "J Stevens Arms and Tool Co." The problem is that Stevens didn't serialize their arms, so identification is very hard without a caliber and action type. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    It is a 22 break action,came out with no forearm,has hex barrel,dove tailed front and rear sights,button on left side of reciever that pushes in to break it down.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    No collectible value. I gave one similar to my stepson when he was 10. We refinished it and cold blued it. It is his treasure rifle to this day. He remembers the times that we spent making it look pretty. He is now 37. It was a rifle that my grandfather sent me out into the woods with a box of 22 short ammo when I was 8-10 Y/O

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    Cool story,been thinking about making a deal with him for the gun to do exactly the same thing but dont want to ruin gun if worth something. Just a neat old gun.

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    The gun says J Stevens &co. so according to what little i have found on it was made before 1886 because that was year they switched thr company name to J Stevens A-T and they kept that name from 1886 to 1916. I also found they had 14 variations of that model but no info on determining what the models were or how to identify.

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    I found a good link today on Stevens rifles. The rifle i am researching is a Stevens tip up model #2 . Thanks to all who replied.

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    need info on j stevens rifle

Not very good on computer. Google (PDF) Joshua Stevens 1884-1907 James Taylor&W.B. Fay and then click on link with same title.

Top Bottom