• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I had a Soldier that I worked with in Germany whose Family Dog was an Irish Wolfhound...

the long hair kind of kicks out his requirements but they have an OUTSTANDING temperament and tend to not realize that they are 10 feet tall, however with kids the short life span may be a no go

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Mexican Hairless Dog?

One rule I have is it has to have short hair...

How about a dog without hair??
    MexicanHairlessDog.jpg
    mii.jpg

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Our Sheltie has been a great dog, but had a lot of problems with nipping at the heels when he was little. It's the natural herder coming out in him. Some friends just got a yorkiepoo and it's a wonderful dog. Small, great with kids always carrying it around and cuddling with it, just an all around good dog.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Our Sheltie has been a great dog, but had a lot of problems with nipping at the heels when he was little. It's the natural herder coming out in him. Some friends just got a yorkiepoo and it's a wonderful dog. Small, great with kids always carrying it around and cuddling with it, just an all around good dog.

Is your sheltie a spinner?

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I have had a couple English Bulldogs and they are great around children. They're not as lazy or dumb as most people think. At 16 weeks Chico was house broken, could sit, lay down, shake, and high five (I got him at 13 weeks). Everyday when I get home from work he brings me whatever toy he wants to play with and then when I'm ready to relax he sits and watches TV with me. He truly is my best friend.:yesway:

marine4life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    South Indy
    Remember that large dogs , are great when younger but as they age , and they will faster than smaller breeds. Just due to the heavy bone structure, their joints tend has more problems. Hip displaysia is a real concern. Its very diffecult to watch a your pet hobble around. If you have younger kids you have to take this into consideration. Your children will get attached and it will affect them. Watching Fido limp around and not making it to the door for potty. Not steering you away from larger dogs, because they are very noble and loyal. However, this is just the reality of it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I recommend a Corgi. Great family dogs, guard dogs and herders. I never had a single issue with mine and he loved my kid brother when he was a toddler. Would guard him even from us. They're insanely brave and territorial. Never had any issues with biting us, but he had no issues in going after trespassers. Even when they were 5x his size. They're not large dogs, but they're great to have around.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I have 2 dogs one is a sheltie / chow and the other a GSD. They are both great dogs. Well the GSD is a 5 month old pup. so she is still learning.
    The mix dog is almost 7 yrs old and he is vey smart and I think that is the Sheltie in him. I know they have long hair but they are great dogs in all aspects.
    Beagles are good with kids for sure but they can be as dumb as a box of rocks. I could not handle having a dumb dog. That would just be so frustrating.
    You should look up info on the Internet about all the different types of breeds before you make a decision, that way you can also find out the possible health problems each breed could have. I have not owned a Boxer but I have heard good things about them as well other than they can have lots of energy. I am blessed with 2 great smart dogs.
    Tough choice I think. Good luck.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I recommend a Corgi. Great family dogs, guard dogs and herders. I never had a single issue with mine and he loved my kid brother when he was a toddler. Would guard him even from us. They're insanely brave and territorial. Never had any issues with biting us, but he had no issues in going after trespassers. Even when they were 5x his size. They're not large dogs, but they're great to have around.

I have 2 dogs one is a sheltie / chow and the other a GSD. They are both great dogs. Well the GSD is a 5 month old pup. so she is still learning.
    The mix dog is almost 7 yrs old and he is vey smart and I think that is the Sheltie in him. I know they have long hair but they are great dogs in all aspects.
    Beagles are good with kids for sure but they can be as dumb as a box of rocks. I could not handle having a dumb dog. That would just be so frustrating.
    You should look up info on the Internet about all the different types of breeds before you make a decision, that way you can also find out the possible health problems each breed could have. I have not owned a Boxer but I have heard good things about them as well other than they can have lots of energy. I am blessed with 2 great smart dogs.
    Tough choice I think. Good luck.

I have a sheltie AND a corgi. I don't recommend owning them together. They're mischievous.

web.jpg

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    I have a 2 year old and a boxer. They absolutely love each other. I will decline to to tell how many of my sons toy bouncy balls and the like the dog has chewed up.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I like all dogs and when it was just us guys we had an American Staffordshire Terrier and he was awesome. However, with my 3yr old I think that is just to much dog right now. I don't really want a couch potato either which is why I was thinking beagle or basset. Didn't know there was a such thing as short haired german shepherds

With proper training and attention, it shouldn't be too much dog. It might be too much dog if you were going to let the child try to walk it but Bully breeds are usually great with kids(except when the ones that make the media eat them, but who hasn't wanted to try a tender toddler smothered in BBQ sauce?).

I've got an aunt and uncle that had an American Bulldog and an AmStaff(had a Cocker at the same time). The Cocker was the only one that was a pain when it came to kids around, he'd nip a lot, he'd growl, he'd show teeth. The AmStaff and the Am. Bulldog would sometimes knock a kid over because they got excited but its because those 2 were extremely goofy. The dogs were all 3 males and the only one of the 3 that showed some dog aggression was the Cocker. The AmStaff and the Am. Bulldog had no problem with their ears being pulled, being tripped over, accidentally stepped on.

You had an AmStaff so you'd know going in that training would be a MUST as would socialization.

I am wanting to get a dog as I miss not having one around the house. I have a 3yr old so I do want something a little bit mild and great with kids. One rule I have is it has to have short hair so retrievers are out. As of now I am looking at beagles and basset hounds as I like both a lot. Does anyone have any other suggestions of a good breed to look at while having a young child? I have a good sized fenced in yard so that is not an issue there.

Thanks

American Bulldog. Short hair, great with kids, few health concerns with the breed, high tolerance for shenanigans kids pull(pulling ears, pinching, etc.). Socialize. This is NOT a Pit Bull(which isn't a breed that bothers me one bit).

Neo. Mastiff. Great with family(need to watch them with kids not because they'll attack but because they don't always know how strong they are...socialize them with kids and they're fine), great protectors, relatively healthy breed IF gotten through a good breeder, high tolerance, doesn't bark unless it feels it NEEDS to, short hair, and once again great protectors.

The American Bulldog is the breed of those that live the longest. They both need a firm owner that actually cares enough to train them(but why own a dog if you're not going to put in the time and effort...get a cat instead).

Whatever you decide, for the love of all things holy...avoid getting an ankle bitter. Basset Hounds and Beagles are cool little dogs. The biggest thing I don't like about a Basset as a family pet is the baying. If you'd hunt with the dog, fine.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I have had a few dogs while growing up and we always started with pups. I like dogs when they are puppies more so that you can get them to grow with you rather than with someone else but I can see the upside to getting an adult dog. I am partial to hounds myself but after we had Beefy(AST) he opened my eyes to how great of a dog that breed can produce as well. My main concern about a "bully" breed is the people in the neighborhood as I live in a neighborhood with a lot of kids. I worry about how other people will react if the dog were to get loose as a lot of people have a negative view of them. Also, a boxer is a good strong dog breed that doesn't have quite the stigma that others tend to have.

If you're socializing your dog properly and watching the absolute best you can when you're coming and going, the dog shouldn't get out off lead. It is easy enough to crate them if you have to make several trips in and out, it is easy enough to have them sit/stay if you put in the work.

Boxers are fine but EVERY boxer I've been around has been real high energy and only lived 6-8 years. I have seen a few white Boxers that were absolutely beautiful dogs, still insane though but they were still only 4. American Bulldog has a longer lifespan @ 10-12. Neo. Mastiff's lifespan is similar to the boxer.

Top Bottom