• ...and so much more!
  • Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Ok, so I put out some mulch about a week ago. It’s rained a couple of times since then. I go out and notice these red mushroom type things growing out of the mulch. There are no flowers planted or anything. It had to have been in with the mulch. What the heck is it? Almost looks like shrimp tails. I did a google search and all I could find is poison fire coral but that is only native to Japan and China. Any ideas?

FFCD900C-DBCF-426A-8710-ED4F956861CA.jpeg 0A51F0F5-EE41-4C33-BA1C-A4950A040FDD.jpeg

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Look like Stinkhorns to me. Pretty common
    I think you got it. I have never heard of stinkhorn and need to do some more research it but looking at some pictures it looks like a match. It says it commonly grows in mulch.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I think you got it. I have never heard of stinkhorn and need to do some more research it but looking at some pictures it looks like a match. It says it commonly grows in mulch.
    Yeah, they grow in places that are known to hold moisture good. Mulch is good for that, pretty common to find in landscaping for this reason. We get them in the swampy low ground, you know as soon as you start walking through them.

I have heard that in Asia they're eaten, that's a big negative from me though.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Yeah, they grow in places that are known to hold moisture good. Mulch is good for that, pretty common to find in landscaping for this reason. We get them in the swampy low ground, you know as soon as you start walking through them.

I have heard that in Asia they're eaten, that's a big negative from me though.
    Well, it has been damp lately. Yeah it lists them as edible in the early stages but that's a pass for me. Thanks for the info Jaybird.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Have to say I'd not even think about eating it.

They say you can eat ANY mushroom... once.

Unless I know for a fact it's both harmless and delicious, it's getting nowhere close to my plate.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have an issue with things referred to as semi edible.;)

That said, I do gather and eat morels and chanterelles.

Top Bottom