• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I bought my wife a flash bang holster for her J frame. Just came yesterday, she tried it at home for a few min and said it would probably take some getting used to at home first but it seemed like it would work. She took it off for me to adjust the strap position and I was wondering about retention.

I unloaded the gun and put it back in the holster, I held it by the strap over the couch cushion and gave it a good down ward shake trying to replicate her jumping or jumping down from a step or my pickup. Sure enough every single time the J frame fell right out of the bottom of the holster and hit the cushion.

This is obviously not good. I read mostly good reviews about the holster before I bought it and she was excited to get her gun out of her purse but none of them mentioned this retention problem. Am I missing something or are these meant to be worn "only" when doing nothing but sitting or walking? Any experience?

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Can't say I know anyone with much experience with those holsters. I have to ask though. If the gun is small enough to be carried like that....why not an IWB holster? Even my tiny mother can conceal her baby 9mm on her hip.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    I can't help ya because I haven't used one, BUT my bras are expensive. No way am I hanging that kind of weight off of them.

Depending on how big her *ahem* are, you need to consider if carrying there will put more strain on her back.

If it's small enough, she may as well IWB or pocket carry. It's probably easier to get a hold of in a dire situation, as well.

Molly Belle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I don't have one of these yet, but it's on my wish list. :)
    From what I understand part of the gun tucks up into the bra cup. Maybe the support of the underwire helps with retention?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I unloaded the gun and put it back in the holster, I held it by the strap over the couch cushion and gave it a good down ward shake trying to replicate her jumping or jumping down from a step or my pickup. Sure enough every single time the J frame fell right out of the bottom of the holster and hit the cushion.

I'm not familiar with them or the finer points of how they work, but, is it possible that the bra (and it's pressure against the body) provides part of the retention?

jlwest1213

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    SE Indiana
    Her ahems, haha

I can't help ya because I haven't used one, BUT my bras are expensive. No way am I hanging that kind of weight off of them.

Depending on how big her *ahem* are, you need to consider if carrying there will put more strain on her back.

If it's small enough, she may as well IWB or pocket carry. It's probably easier to get a hold of in a dire situation, as well.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My wife has the Marylin holster, basically the same thing, but made to go up under the arm instead of her Ahems.. Her holster is for her S&W BG380, as she thought it would be more comfortable than her LCR in that position. She hasnt had any issue with retention, perhaps the simulation that you are running it through is a bit more severe than most normal daily activities. I dont know too many people that do jumping jacks in street clothes on a regular basis.
    On a side note, those that mention IWB or pocket carry as an alternative, that is typically the manner my wife carries, but when wearing a skirt, or pants that do not have a belt or pocket, its a good way for her to keep her pistol on her, and she has no issue deploying it from the location the holster sits. The flash bang would be even easier, but she lacks the proper build to hide a gun in that manner.

marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    I have one for my j frame and have never had any issues with it falling out. I can't say I jump up and down often while wearing it though. They do have different models for the j frame. One is made for use with the crimson trace laser grips while the other is not. Not sure if that could be the issue. It is a clamshell design, so it should be secure until you pull it out.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I don't have one of these yet, but it's on my wish list. :)
    From what I understand part of the gun tucks up into the bra cup. Maybe the support of the under wire helps with retention?

Hmm, that might be part of it. The only way to really test it is to ask her to jump up and down on something soft that will catch the unloaded gun, like a mattress to see if the under wire adds retention.

I am not sure how to ask her to try this test without getting smacked in the face, but I shall try :). Thank you.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I have one for my j frame and have never had any issues with it falling out. I can't say I jump up and down often while wearing it though. They do have different models for the j frame. One is made for use with the crimson trace laser grips while the other is not. Not sure if that could be the issue. It is a clamshell design, so it should be secure until you pull it out.

So yours works fine. Perhaps I am being a bit to vigorous with it when I did the "jump" test over my couch. She is short and my truck is tall so she has to sort of hop down out of it, but if others have not had a problem I might be worrying about nothing.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    So yours works fine. Perhaps I am being a bit to vigorous with it when I did the "jump" test over my couch. She is short and my truck is tall so she has to sort of hop down out of it, but if others have not had a problem I might be worrying about nothing.

Oh, dude! You jump tested it? We need video. :D

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Can't I am sure it will violate a forum rule :). Naa, I held the holstered gun a few inches above my couch and tried to simulate a small "hop" by letting it fall and abruptly stopping it a few times. The gun hit the couch every time. But others have stated that they have not had a problem so it possible my little test was unrealistic.

marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    :laugh:

Mine works fine(LOL) I have had to re-adjust at times if I lean down to pick up my son or to tie my shoe, but I have never had any issues with my gun falling out of the holster. Have her wear it around the house to get comfortable with it. I have had mine for about a year now and it has never fallen out!

Top Bottom