• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Took my new to me FM High Power and Glock 17 to range both functioned flawless. Problem is me once again all my shots from 25 ft were about in the 10 to 11 o'clock range 4" grouping about 4" from center of a 9" dia. paperplate. I mark an x in center and align sights with front site just below the x. So question is what could I be doing to throw me off or am I being picky?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    How are you firing the shot?

Align Sights
    Align Front Sight with Target
    Gently pull the trigger straight back.
    Keep the trigger back until you align your sights back up with the target.
    Ease trigger out to reset and repeat.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    While that's not terrible at 8yds, you can look up one of the trigger pull direction charts. I'm sure someone will be along to post it, but I can't from my phone. Sounds to me like you're anticipating the recoil.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    While that's not terrible at 8yds, you can look up one of the trigger pull direction charts. I'm sure someone will be along to post it, but I can't from my phone. Sounds to me like you're anticipating the recoil.

Here ya go. Large enough to download, print, and shoot at.

target_shooting_diagnosis.jpg

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Interesting. I went to the range this weekend. About the 4th time out with my new gun. And I consistently shoot low right. In the "Tightening Grip While Pulling Trigger" area. I still haven't been able to figure it out. But this kind of makes sense now. I'll try and relax a little more. I'm assuming thats what could correct the problem?

And what makes more sense, is that after going through about 10 magazines of my Beretta 96A1 .40 S&W, I break out my grandpas old High Standard .22. And it shoot consistently upper left. in the "Pushing (Anticipating Recoil)" area. And now I understand what I can be doing there.

I just thought it was my eye-sight. And it still could be. But at least I have a chart to back up how terrible I am. ;)

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you're shooting 10/11 o'clock and the chart is right in suggesting that you may be anticipating recoil, try this:

Put a snap-cap or dummy round in your magazine without looking to see where you put it (or have someone else load the mag). If you're anticipating recoil, it will become very apparent when you get to that dummy round.

iCarry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Porter
    If you're shooting 10/11 o'clock and the chart is right in suggesting that you may be anticipating recoil, try this:

Put a snap-cap or dummy round in your magazine without looking to see where you put it (or have someone else load the mag). If you're anticipating recoil, it will become very apparent when you get to that dummy round.

This is great advice. I had the same issue and my friend told me to do the same thing, because I couldn't believe I was anticipating recoil...I was proven wrong and after a little practice able to get on target.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    The "target" is for diagnosing shooting issues, not shooting at.... Compare it to the target you shot.

It sounds like you are lifting your head as you break the shot to see where the bullet goes. Keep your head down and follow through.

ray d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Easy and cheap way to cure most of these issues is dry practice.Make shure your focus is 100% on the front sight do not let your eyes wander from the front sight to the target and back.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    In my experience, folks will be thinking about what is on that target, rather than sight picture, trigger squeeze and follow through.

A good tool to use is a negative target, especially one with an irregular shaped hole. Shooter MUST concentrate on getting the bullet to go through the hole, i.e. concentrate on the fundamentals.

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Thanks I have tried dry firing with snap caps and don't see me moving (maybe cause I know its a dud.) Will try the switch out with live at range and see thanks for the advice all. Hopefully will get better want to start getting better at 8 yrds then move to 25 yrds. If I can get all on plate at 25 yrds I will be happy.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Shoot the target, don't shoot the target, it doesn't matter, does it?

Except if you shoot the instruction target first, put a bunch of holes in said instruction target, and then can't read what said instruction target says about fixing your specific issue...then it probably matters. Of course, you could always make a copy of the instruction target and use it as a reference. :D

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    Have you shot from a sandbag, yet ? If you have, then nevermind... If not, do some benchrest shots to be sure the sights have not been bumped, are loose, etc. How you grip the gun can change your zero, so if your grip has changed lately, that could explain it.

Top Bottom