• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    So i've been playing guitar for a while now (about 2 months) im pretty good and I think its time I buy my own guitar (I've been borrowing from a friend) I'm looking at 2 guitars in particular.

The Taylor BT2:
    Amazon.com: Taylor Guitars Baby Taylor, BT2, Mahogany, Natural: Musical Instruments

Or

The Yamaha FG700S:
    Amazon.com: Yamaha FG700S Acoustic Guitar: Musical Instruments

I like the Taylor because of the Ebony fretboard and the smaller body and neck (Also its a Taylor I haven't heard of a bad guitar from them), but Yamaha has a great reputation of being really good starter guitars and are usually used for a lot of clubs at camps and stuff. If any of you guitarist could weigh in that'd be great! :ingo:

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I play electric, but I know a few things about acoustic. Both of those guitars would be great. I've always liked taylor, but Yamaha really makes a quality instrument. Other brands that I like are Michael Kelly, Dean, and Martin.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    It's like a EDC weapon, What do YOU like and what fits YOU. That's the only thing that matters. What style of playing, in what setting? Mic'd? Smaller body means smaller sound usually, keep that in mind.

Don't pass over the used market. Something that is totally out of your prixe range in the new market can be totally within if you find it in the secindary market.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have owned and played Alvarez guitars for years and absolutely love them. A guitar is not something serious players will buy online. Each has unique characteristics in sound and feel. You need to play before you buy.

fwiw, I've been playing for 18 years and am not a fan of yamaha guitars at all. Taylor makes some amazing instruments, but in the price range of the "baby" models, there are much betters options.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I have owned and played Alvarez guitars for years and absolutely love them. A guitar is not something serious players will buy online. Each has unique characteristics in sound and feel. You need to play before you buy.

I've played both, I just needed to show examples. I like the feel of the taylor better and the sound on both are about the same. (Taylor seems to have a warmer sound while the yamaha is brighter).

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    I've played both, I just needed to show examples. I like the feel of the taylor better and the sound on both are about the same. (Taylor seems to have a warmer sound while the yamaha is brighter).

Especially on entry level guitars, there can be big differences in sound between the same model even. Make sure you try tthe exact one you are purchasing beforehand.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Played guitar for 26+ yrs. Before I bought my first serious guitar ($800) I made sure I played every guitar in the shop to know and understand what I liked and wanted. Have you been to one of the acoustic rooms in a Guitar Center? There's one in Greenwood and one in Castleton I know for sure.

Having a guitar that feels and plays great will take your playing further faster. Having a guitar that's the opposite will more than likely make you fight and swear and finally give up altogether like so many do.

Playing guitar is extremely rewarding if you hang in there past the beginner stage.

edit: noticed you're in Dallas so Ill answer your question directly. If you're dead set on these two guitars...if I was stuck on an island with this choice, I'd pick the baby Taylor. I've played them before and remember being rather pleased.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Taylor = American Made.
    Yamaha makes a good/affordable instrument but nothing beats something made in the US. I would also consider saving a little bit more $$ and looking at the used market for a higher quality Taylor or Martin.
    Entry level Taylors, including the Baby Taylor are made in Mexico.

Played guitar for 26+ yrs. Before I bought my first serious guitar ($800) I made sure I played every guitar in the shop to know and understand what I liked and wanted. Have you been to one of the acoustic rooms in a Guitar Center? There's one in Greenwood and one in Castleton I know for sure.

He's 14, and in Texas.

I started playing at 13, on electric and got my first acoustic at 14. It was a Fender Dreadnaught. It played well, but I fell in love when I played my first Alvarez.

I can't reccomend strongly enough that the OP find an Alvarez dealer and check them out. They are probably the best bang for your buck especially for the entry level models.

Alvarez | Alvarez Yairi, Acoustic Guitars

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    buy once cry once. if this is something you seriously want to do, buy a quality instrument. if you just want to mess around or be the d-bag at parties singing to girls, buy cheap.

My personal experience was that the better quality instrument inspired me to play- I couldn't wait to get home from school to strum it and struggle through covers of my favorite bands. ymmv

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have not seen it said here, but there is tremendous value to be had in the used market. Old Martins, Taylors, and Guilds can often be found very reasonably priced at local pawn shops, newspapers, and smaller music stores.

Get to know other local musicians...older musicians. Every guitar player I know has an ever-growing collection of beautiful guitars they rarely play. I have found you can often get an older guy to let go of some pretty cool stuff. I once gave a bass to a student of mine, he had such great potential but couldn't afford his own instrument.

Don't buy a "starter" guitar. Get all the guitar you can for your money, they hold their value well, and can be used to trade up later...not that you will. I still have my first bass, some 25 years down the road.

-Paul

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Here is a second vote for going to Guitar Center and just trying everything you can get your hands on.
    Taylor guitars are just awesome, but, admittedly, I have never played one of their entry level guitars.
    Nor could I afford one myself. I had a good friend let me keep one for about a month ($1700 guitar IIRC) and I LOVED it.
    I am kind of fired up about LUNA guitars.
    They are made in Wisconsin and are very affordable and they really really play nice.
    I mostly play in church and I play a Takemime.
    You can also find those at a pretty reasonable price used.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    So i've been playing guitar for a while now (about 2 months) im pretty good and I think its time I buy my own guitar (I've been borrowing from a friend) I'm looking at 2 guitars in particular.

The Taylor BT2:
    Amazon.com: Taylor Guitars Baby Taylor, BT2, Mahogany, Natural: Musical Instruments

Or

The Yamaha FG700S:
    Amazon.com: Yamaha FG700S Acoustic Guitar: Musical Instruments

I like the Taylor because of the Ebony fretboard and the smaller body and neck (Also its a Taylor I haven't heard of a bad guitar from them), but Yamaha has a great reputation of being really good starter guitars and are usually used for a lot of clubs at camps and stuff. If any of you guitarist could weigh in that'd be great! :ingo:

In my honest opinion, you are comparing apples to oranges....or is it strawbarries to beets? The taylor is the better guitar...

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Play and own Taylor, Aria, Ovation, Tacoma. Hard to beat a Taylor - entry level under a grand now. Martin the same, about 1500 for an entry DN. Tacoma used to be an awesome sounding guitar, but they've sold and gone to crap. Ovation, for a while there, was putting out a very nice sounding guitar at about a grand, but the ones I've played lately are back to the 2X4 dead sound IMHO.

I make an annual trek to Guitarworks in Greenwood and play everything. Right now if I were buying an entry level DN on a budget I'd probably get a Taylor. Their entry level electronics are still top knotch and sound great straight through the board.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Like some are saying, go to Guitar Center if possible and play around in the Acoustic Room. It's a good way to see what you like.

Between those two guitars, I would go with Taylor. I'm not a fan of Yamaha, and you can't really go wrong with a Taylor, but that is just my opinion.

Top Bottom