Need a new progressive loader, which one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I had a Dillon 550 and sold it, long story anyway now I need to replace it. I had bought it back in 85 and it was state of the art at the time... Looking now I see that it really hasn't changed except for the price and there looks to be others that could be the better machine.

I've been looking at the Lee Load Master but I don't feel like tweeking and in general messing around with something that should work right out of the box as far as I'm concerned so I've decided to pass on it. That pretty much leaves the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP or the Dillon 550 that would fit in my price range.

Any opinions on the AP vers the Dillon 550? Anybody have an AP?

Thanks in advance!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I don't think you would be unhappy with the Dillon 550 or if you load a lot of pistol ammo and want to spend extra bucks for the case feeder, the 650. I have both. I haven't heard many bad things about the newer Hornady LNL progressive. I don't think any other progressives are in the same class, except the Star Universal, if you can find one, and they are pretty much just a pistol caliber progressive press, although a buddy has one set up for .223.

Don Parks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    The 650 is a great press, had mine for awhile now with no problems. I like the idea of auto indexting and the case feeder is nice.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Purchased a Hornady Projector years ago then thought I would see what all the hype was about Dillon. After a short time I sold the Dillon 650 and bought another Hornady. My Hornadys just run smoother than my Dillon did. Once I get to reloading I hate to have to stop and make small adjustments.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    LNL

I only have experience with the LNL. I wish for a case feeder, a lock washer on the shell plate bolt and a primer alarm but other than that it seems pretty bullet proof and the bushings for the dies make changes pretty easy if you buy a few spares.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I only have experience with the LNL. I wish for a case feeder, a lock washer on the shell plate bolt and a primer alarm but other than that it seems pretty bullet proof and the bushings for the dies make changes pretty easy if you buy a few spares.

dab of blue loctite works for the shell plate bolt.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI

The Dillon primer alarm can be easily adapted to the LNL. I have Dillon alarms on both of mine.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I did the comparison recently as well and ended up getting the LnL. The free bullets and price difference sold me. It's essentially a 650 for quite a bit cheaper, plus I got 600 .308 bullets thrown in for free. (500 for press, 100 for 1 set of dies)

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Ordered the LNL last night so now the wait begins. Around $540 with shipping for all I ordered and with that I should be good to go as soon as it gets here. Figure once I subtract the bullets I'll get I'll be way ahead of the game.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    After you have had it awhile, let us know how you like it. I think you made a wise decision to skip the Lee progressive.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have a Dillon 550 and 650. They both work. I picked up a Hornady LNL AP last year. The LNL AP is my go to press now. They are so much smoother during the index and the powder thrower is dead nuts accurate every single time. I have not used my Dillons since I bought the LNL AP. I need to get them sold matter of fact.

Yote69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Logansport
    I have also been trying to figure out which one to purchase, the Dillon 550 or the Hornady AP. Any issues with the powder charges with either one? I have always used single stage and have to readjust my Hornady LNL powder measure even with a pistol rotor.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Well I've had my Hornady a few weeks now. I've only loaded about 50 rounds so far, but even before I started loading I liked this machine much more than the Dillon 550 that I had used for 20+ years. The Hornady uses the LNL powder measure, the Dillon uses a slide bar type. Stock the Dillon is a PIA to adjust because you have to use a wrench. I seem to remember having problems with the Dillon running fine ball powders, they would come out between the gap in the slide.

Top Bottom