• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I currently own a Dillon SDB and it's pretty darn awesome for straight walled cartridges. But, I'll be putting on the chopping block and looking to upgrade to something that can handle 357 Sig and possibly 9x25 and 6.8SPC down the road. (long with all the fun straight wall stuff too) I've got a Dillon 650 priced out at about 900 w/ dies. Dillon is the only co. that makes carbide dies for the 357 Sig, but they can be used on any standard press.

Is there another press that is as good or better that I should be considering along with the Dillon?

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I currently own a Dillon SDB and it's pretty darn awesome for straight walled cartridges. But, I'll be putting on the chopping block and looking to upgrade to something that can handle 357 Sig and possibly 9x25 and 6.8SPC down the road. (long with all the fun straight wall stuff too) I've got a Dillon 650 priced out at about 900 w/ dies. Dillon is the only co. that makes carbide dies for the 357 Sig, but they can be used on any standard press.

Is there another press that is as good or better that I should be considering along with the Dillon?

Might want to consider a 550B and use the extra couple bucks on some accessories. When you buy your dillon, deck it out. Every accessory they make just improves the loading experience. Strong mount, bullet tray, case feeder (yes, they make one for the 550B too), powder alarm, etc. If you're really going to go for the XL650, make sure you spend money on the powder check die - as that's a major advantage of the XL650.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Might want to consider a 550B and use the extra couple bucks on some accessories. When you buy your dillon, deck it out. Every accessory they make just improves the loading experience. Strong mount, bullet tray, case feeder (yes, they make one for the 550B too), powder alarm, etc. If you're really going to go for the XL650, make sure you spend money on the powder check die - as that's a major advantage of the XL650.

The extra station is one of the things that are a big plus for me on the 650. The auto-indexing is nice too. The SDB kinda spoiled me on that. Between those 2 features, I think I'd happily spend the extra $130 for the 650 over the 550. I've got the strong mount and bullet tray for the SDB, and can't imaging loading without them.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Ended up going with the LNL and some Dillon carbide dies. Brass, powder, primers and bullets on the way too!

couple pounds of AA#7 and some longshot. Let's see what works best!

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Saved a couple bucks by buying a Hornady, but stuck with Dillon dies.

Hornady is nice, but there's no substitute for a Dillon press. I think you'll see this when you break a few parts.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Saved a couple bucks by buying a Hornady, but stuck with Dillon dies.

Hornady is nice, but there's no substitute for a Dillon press. I think you'll see this when you break a few parts.

I'm hoping the LNL is as solid as my SDB was. Seems to get good reviews, and it has a lifetime warranty like the Dillon. Here goes nothin!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    For $200 or so in savings over the 650, that's a chance I'm willing to take!

Only got a chance to experience Dillons CS once. I think the little plastic thing on the primer system cracked. They sent a new one out no charge. But that was the only thing that ever went wrong.

*crosses fingers hoping LNL is as good*

Had to stick with Dillon for the dies. Great design and no one else makes a carbide 357 Sig die. I did get a Lee FCD, though.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

This may help. I just got it in a email today from a bullseye member.

Hope it helps

It is helping, Im not completly threw it yet, but the pic of all the presses side by side brings up a issue. My reloading room is a walk in closet with a low ceiling. Is the LNL with case feeder that much taller than the dillon with feeder or is it just the pic. If it is taller that might be a deal breaker for me. Ive thought about moving all my equipment but its not a step im willing to take right now. I have a bench that I built for the dillon with case feed's height and do not want to re build the bench.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Wow $900 for a dillon 650? Must have some pretty expensive dies with it. I just priced one at a gun shop not to far from me for $504 with a bunch of extra stuff with it.

judgecrater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    The extra station is one of the things that are a big plus for me on the 650. The auto-indexing is nice too. The SDB kinda spoiled me on that. Between those 2 features, I think I'd happily spend the extra $130 for the 650 over the 550. I've got the strong mount and bullet tray for the SDB, and can't imaging loading without them.
    If you can keep the SDB (love mine) and get the 650 for the other stuff.
    I have both a SDB and a 550B and thinking about getting a second SDB.

Top Bottom