Navy detonated 20 ton explosive for shock trial.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And that charge was stored down at Crane. I know one of the guys that works down there. He posted a picture on FB of them loading it onto a low boy. Damn thing is HUGE. 12-15' wide and probably every bit of 17' tall.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wonder what that would be like if set off on land.
    Apparently not much due to how its constructed. I joked "you guys didnt drop that thing and detonate it around 3:18 PM yesterday did ya?", eluding to that being the real cause of the earthquake.

His response was pretty lukewarm, that it wouldnt be THAT big of a boom above the water. I have to assume apparently most of its containment is from the water pressure, so it would blow off like a fireball on land with little shockwave.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    And that charge was stored down at Crane. I know one of the guys that works down there. He posted a picture on FB of them loading it onto a low boy. Damn thing is HUGE. 12-15' wide and probably every bit of 17' tall.

i'm 2 1/2 miles as the crow flies from the north fence and do work on the base.....i have felt some blasts that one would thought it was that size

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I wasn't there, so I'm not sure.
    But in the past, smaller charges were set off to scare the wildlife away.
    Course, that was usually for whales, dolphins, etc.
    Not sure if the fishes run away.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Apparently not much due to how its constructed. I joked "you guys didnt drop that thing and detonate it around 3:18 PM yesterday did ya?", eluding to that being the real cause of the earthquake.

His response was pretty lukewarm, that it wouldnt be THAT big of a boom above the water. I have to assume apparently most of its containment is from the water pressure, so it would blow off like a fireball on land with little shockwave.
    What was the explosive? The OKC bomb was ~6000 pounds of ammonium nitrate mixed with nitromethane. 40,000 pounds would cause a hella shockwave on land.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What was the explosive? The OKC bomb was ~6000 pounds of ammonium nitrate mixed with nitromethane. 40,000 pounds would cause a hella shockwave on land.
    Not sure. He's one of the guys that works in the munitions plant and helps build things like that. He didnt seem too impressed with its (theoretical) performance out of the water.

Top Bottom