• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    FS1. This is some of the issue with viewer numbers. I dont pay for the apps through a streaming device and only have local channels through antenna signal. Some of my favorite races I will figure out how to watch but wont go the extra mile to watch many of them.
    While I am sure this is true, the other sports also deal with this too. Cable (including DirectTV types) is losing about 5 million subscribers to cord cutting a year, and while in its death throes it will overpay to get live programming.

If Nascar would keep it to local channels like CBS, FOX59, or WTHR, then they may be able to get more viewers. It’s not doing them any favors to build contracts with cable channel providers if a percentage of people are cut the cord type viewers.
    They certainly would if they could but the local networks would not pay enough because quite possibly nascar could not deliver enough eyeballs for the time slots but the cable side would give them the cash they craved. Also splitting up the FOX portion to network and cable gives the broadcasters the bigger events like Talladega on the network and run of the mill venues to prop up cable. Funny thing, when I had cable I watched every race, even if I recorded it on my VCR, I cut cable and now many of the races are on cable only.

Bristol is on USA so Ill find a way to watch but what if they were on FOX instead. They may get some higher numbers then!
    Isn’t Talladega next and it is on FOX…

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I've posted this before but it bears repeating. A couple of years ago my wife and had a late lunch at Texas Roadhouse in Owensbo Kentucky (home town of Darrell and Michael Waltrip, Jeremy Mayfield, the Green Brothers ) the time frame was during the Daytona 500.
    I believe it was a Fox year but of the 30+ TV's none of them were tuned in to the race. I summoned the manager and got one near us tuned in but he acted like he had never heard of NASCAR. Strange day for sure.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

It is hard to decipher the ratings numbers as they give ratings points rather than number of viewers, which is a number the media people understand, but it looks like twenty years ago they had about 6 million viewers for the April Texas Cup race. Sadly all the links seem dead.

• Final Texas TV Ratings Down: Fox’s broadcast of the April 4 Samsung/RadioShack 500 from Texas Motor Speedway drew a final Nielsen Media Research rating of 6.0, the Sports Business Daily reports. The figure represents a 4.8 percent drop from last year’s 6.3. A Dallas Morning News storysays overall NASCAR ratings on Fox are down 5 percent this year.(NASCAR Scene Daily Newsletter). , The Nextel Cup race at Texas Motor Speedway scored a 6.0 in the national ratings. That’s down from last year’s 6.3. Overall, NASCAR’s ratings on Fox going into the Easter break are down 5 percent. In Dallas-Fort Worth, the local rating was up 32 percent from a 5.6 to a 7.4. The rating in Dallas-Fort Worth was 11th best in the nation. Three Carolina markets were 1-2-3. Greensboro, N.C. (17.3) topped the list, followed by Greenville, S.C. (14.1) and Charlotte (12.9).(Dallas Morning News) (4-12-2004)

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    It is hard to decipher the ratings numbers as they give ratings points rather than number of viewers, which is a number the media people understand, but it looks like twenty years ago they had about 6 million viewers for the April Texas Cup race. Sadly all the links seem dead.

• Final Texas TV Ratings Down: Fox’s broadcast of the April 4 Samsung/RadioShack 500 from Texas Motor Speedway drew a final Nielsen Media Research rating of 6.0, the Sports Business Daily reports. The figure represents a 4.8 percent drop from last year’s 6.3. A Dallas Morning News storysays overall NASCAR ratings on Fox are down 5 percent this year.(NASCAR Scene Daily Newsletter). , The Nextel Cup race at Texas Motor Speedway scored a 6.0 in the national ratings. That’s down from last year’s 6.3. Overall, NASCAR’s ratings on Fox going into the Easter break are down 5 percent. In Dallas-Fort Worth, the local rating was up 32 percent from a 5.6 to a 7.4. The rating in Dallas-Fort Worth was 11th best in the nation. Three Carolina markets were 1-2-3. Greensboro, N.C. (17.3) topped the list, followed by Greenville, S.C. (14.1) and Charlotte (12.9).(Dallas Morning News) (4-12-2004)
    We was living in a whole different landscape and world 20 years ago….

Your never see them days again Good or Bad…. And the Racing will go on!

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    They certainly would if they could but the local networks would not pay enough because quite possibly nascar could not deliver enough eyeballs for the time slots but the cable side would give them the cash they craved.
    I look at it like, Nascar needs to spend money to advertise. So if they would release the races to the local air channels for a very low price, then it’s almost like spending your money where you need it. So they don’t make huge Tv profits for awhile.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We was living in a whole different landscape and world 20 years ago….

Your never see them days again Good or Bad…. And the Racing will go on!
    If that is the case, why has the NFL, a sport that nascar media writers of twenty years ago were saying nascar was going to surpass in fans, not only grown, but has grown exponentially in the same “landscape”?

I agree we will never see the great day’s numbers again but we need to try to get back more of the past fans that are ambivalent about the sport today. NASCAR would probably be better off if all races were also streamed on a nascar streaming service so there would be one place to see all races...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I look at it like, Nascar needs to spend money to advertise. So if they would release the races to the local air channels for a very low price, then it’s almost like spending your money where you need it. So they don’t make huge Tv profits for awhile.
    We TV viewers are about halfway through the break-up and reconsolidation of TV. I suspect it will take another 5 years to work out. Cable will then be gone, everything will be streaming and it will be streamed on about 4 different streaming services.

The big leagues will either be on those services, (most likely to me) or the consumer will stream directly from the sport. The trick for nascar will be surviving the transition to the new reality, I am concerned about some of the longer term contracts they have agreed to because it limits their flexibility.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I’m sure some of this has been posted before, but it is still mind blowing! Maybe every INGO member could chip in and we can have this place as the INGO members hall. :lmfao:It would only be $418 per member plus annual dues to maintain it…

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    If that is the case, why has the NFL, a sport that nascar media writers of twenty years ago were saying nascar was going to surpass in fans, not only grown, but has grown exponentially in the same “landscape”?

I agree we will never see the great day’s numbers again but we need to try to get back more of the past fans that are ambivalent about the sport today. NASCAR would probably be better off if all races were also streamed on a nascar streaming service so there would be one place to see all races...
    I guess one has to believe what the NASCAR writers of 20 years ago was saying and their agenda.It’s interesting that some folks nowadays won’t/don’t want to believe the writers say and scream there “wrong”…..

Pleasing Nascar fans 100% is never an easy task they are some of the Biggest complainer’s in all sports IMO

I watch all my nascar through YouTube TV on a smart TV … but yes streaming in coming for sure that’s where Dale JR newest broadcast job is.

Last edited:

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I’m sure some of this has been posted before, but it is still mind blowing! Maybe every INGO member could chip in and we can have this place as the INGO members hall. :lmfao:It would only be $418 per member plus annual dues to maintain it…

Wow, its still for sale. That place has been for sale for a year at least.

Not sure people dropping that kind of money on a house are wanting to live in Indiana. I know if I am spending nearly $25 million on a house it will be on the Gulf side of Florida.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In

Yes it’s back on the market… He said last year the house wasn’t for sale any longer and he had only put it up for sale ($30 million)to see what interest he could get being everyone was buying up everything then. (Per his interview on Dale Jr download)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I guess one has to believe what the NASCAR writers of 20 years ago was saying and their agenda.It’s interesting that some folks nowadays won’t/don’t want to believe the writers say and scream there “wrong”…..
    What exactly are they saying. Are there links we can read? Do you not remember when there were discussions of NASCAR passing the the other sports? Are the current writers saying that did not happen? What are the writers of today saying is wrong?

By 2001, such northern disdain was already out of date. Driving fast in an oval was no provincial pastime; NASCAR had gone national. Its tracks seated more fans than the largest football stadiums. Its ratings surpassed those of Major League Baseball in some regions, and it was poised to surpass the other “Big Four” American sports leagues, the NHL, NBA, and NFL. In fact, NASCAR had just signed an unprecedented $2.4 billion television contract. The 2001 Daytona 500 was the first race to be aired under it.

Pleasing Nascar fans 100% is never and easy task they are some of the Biggest complainer’s in all sports IMO
    Baseball fans complain about bats, strike zones, and how hard it is to watch the games. Doesn’t seen odd to me.

I watch all my nascar through YouTube TV on a smart TV … but yes streaming in coming for sure that’s where Dale JR newest broadcast job is.
    That will be one of the main outlets after the transition but currently they are a streaming cable outlet.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    I am not the one that’s saying today writers are wrong or that folks can’t trust their information….

YouTube TV is a TV streaming service that includes live TV from 100+ broadcast, cable, and regional sports networks. When you sign up for a YouTube TV subscription, you get: Live TV from major broadcast networks. Live sports.
    $70 some a month I believe

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    YouTube TV is a TV streaming service that includes live TV from 100+ broadcast, cable, and regional sports networks. When you sign up for a YouTube TV subscription, you get: Live TV from major broadcast networks. Live sports.
    $70 some a month I believe
    Yes, it is a streaming replacement for many of the popular channels cable carries. This is temporary as everything moves to streaming the services the channels or networks themselves will align with one main streaming service, of course that may be YouTube or a different one.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This one is side splitting funny!

Kyle Busch – another one of them old guards – hopped on the Pat McAfee Show yesterday and was asked which plan he subscribes to: Dale's, or Jimmie's …

Take a guess at which one Rowdy prefers.

Ya can't drive a slow car fast. God, I loved Dick Trickle. Great name, even better racer.

"He'd show up to the track with Coors Light in one hand and a cigarette in the other."

When the old folks bitch and moan about NASCAR and how it's nothing like it was in the good old days, that, boys and girls, is what they're talking about. Right there.

You wanna fix the ratings? Put asses back in the seats? Let the drivers show up to the track hungover and ripping Marb Reds. Let ‘em have a roadie under one of those stupid stage breaks. Let ’em light one up during a pit stop and flick the butt straight onto the ground like a real man.

Thank God for Dale, Rowdy, Dick, and all the other semi-fat, fully tanked NASCAR drivers out there today. Long live.

Bring us back:

Top Bottom