• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Years ago (almost 25 now) , in my former life as a Military Police Investigator, I first learned of the existence of Body Farms from a colleague who had recently attended the Army CID Forensics School. I made up my mind then that this was what I want to happen to my remains when I die.

The thought that, in death, my rotting corpse can help train investigators and pathologists to identify victims, give families closure, and amass evidence that puts criminals away gives me comfort.

Am I nuts, or is this a noble cause?

*WARNING, SOMEWHAT GRAPHIC IMAGES*

Inside A Body Farm | IFLScience

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm trying to convince my wife to leave my remains at the hospital. I won't need my body any more and she'll save a lot of money.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Watched that video when I saw it on Facebook yesterday. Definitely something honorable in my opinion. Still not sure I would do it though. :dunno:

It's your body. Do what you want with it.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Honorable; very much so.

Twisted; a little bit.

However, given your background your desire is understandable. The only real purpose I see of what we normally do with bodies is to have a grave site to serve as a memorial to yourself. Your idea has a more selfless purpose.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My wife's grandma wanted to be donated "to science" so that others could learn how to better combat what it was that killed her (skin cancer of some type).

Quite noble of her. Once that process was done with, her remains were cremated and then spread out in a small "nature preserve" on their farm property.

I don't see the above as being any different than any other body donation to science.

As for my wife and I, we really haven't discussed this aspect of things, but both of us are in agreement that cremation is going to be how we'll eventually do things. I think the crematorium will probably smell like cheeseburgers and doughnuts when I'm cooking.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I've always told my wife that I want my remains done up as a nice shoulder mount and hung above our headboard. You idea seems much less twisted and more beneficial than mine. I say go for it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've always told my wife that I want my remains done up as a nice shoulder mount and hung above our headboard. You idea seems much less twisted and more beneficial than mine. I say go for it.

I told my wife that I want my cremains to be doled out into little itty bitty portions to all of my reloader friends - so that just a pinch of "me" can be put into all kinds of loaded ammo. Then gather everyone around for a day of trigger pulling.

May be easier to do with shotgun shells than with pistol cartridges, though. Just don't shoot into the wind...

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I am an organ donor now which is different from what you're suggesting you want to do. I believe you will need to specify your wishes & not just donate your body as it could end up in a medical students mid term instead. If someone doesn't claim the body, I'm not sure that you don't end up in a crematory like the dogs at the pound. I believe there is a respect for the dead issue there, so,I don't think the hospital could profit from your body. Noble indeed! Possibly no closure for your family though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Honorable; very much so.

Twisted; a little bit.

However, given your background your desire is understandable. The only real purpose I see of what we normally do with bodies is to have a grave site to serve as a memorial to yourself. Your idea has a more selfless purpose.

Exactly. I don't particularly need that. I haven't been to my dad's grave since we buried him in 1998, not because I don't care about him (quite the contrary), but because he's not there. The house I am living in was built with his own hands, and the yard was tended to and originally made beautiful by him (and continued by us). I don't need a memorial to go visit to be close to my dad. I'm close to him every single day. :)

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Tell her your other choice is this:

A Body Farm will look quite sane by comparison. :)

The TSU San Marcos Body farm is directly north of where I live about 35 miles. Normally I would welcome a new neighbor, but in this case, take your time getting here!

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    If you do the body farm, just make sure your family has the funds set aside to transport your body to the farm as they'll only travel a limited distance to pick it up. I've check into it myself and determined that in all likelihood it would be cheaper on my loved ones to go into the oven and turned to ash.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a friend that has signed on to do this. It's a great learning experience for those that will use your corpse for education. Hats off to you!!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    It's good to see others understand my reasoning.
    Now I don't want to just left in a field though. I want them to shove me in a 55 gallon drum, locked up in an abandoned freezer, car ,blown up or something. :D (I guess that's the twisted part of me coming out)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I would try it at least once. Maybe get a photo postcard made saying something like "Wish you were here" and have it sent to all my friends :)

Top Bottom