• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'll admit that I was never really into knives or anything along the lines of an edged weapon. That was until I bought an M1 Garand Bayonet from jclark earlier this year at the SKS shoot.

Well, like many habits, this one has grown rapidly and my collection has a few more pieces.

Here's a few pics, as well as a link to more.

DSC06928.jpg

DSC06942.jpg

DSC06939.jpg

link to all pictures: Bayonets pictures by jblomenberg16 - Photobucket

Before I say what they all are, I'll let you guys guess. I'm sure you'll be able to identify many of them. :D

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Details of the collection.

DSC06928.jpg

Top to Bottom:

German K98 bayonet. Manufactured in 1935 by F.W. Holler (S/175), complete with Nazi markings. I need to find the correct style frog (aka scabbard) for it.

US M1 Bayonet with M7 scabbard (for WWII M1 Garand). Dated 1943, and made by Union Fork and Hoe (UFH). Dated M1's are a bit more rare, and many dated 1943 were actually cut down from original 16" M1905 bayonets shared by the M1 Garand and Springfield 1903. Scabbard has the US "Flaming Bomb" ordnance stamp.

US M4 Baynote with M8A1 scabbard (for WWII and post WWII M1 Carbine). Made by Utica, and has the leather grips. This would be correct for the bayonets issued towards the end of WWII for the M1 carbine, which originally was not configured for a weapon mounted bayonet, but was later retrofited for one. The scabbard is marked as being made by P.W.H was would be typical of a post WWII scabbard.

US M5A1 Bayonet with M8A1 scabbard (M1 Garand Korean War). Made by Columbus Milpar & Mfg. Has the plastic grip and gas plug screw mount that differentiats it from the barrel loop mount of the WWII M1 bayonet. Scabbard is also marked P.W.H. The seller of this bayonet claimed he used it as a fighting knife during Operation Desert Storm.

Lee Enflied No 4 Mk1 and Mk1* rifle Spike Bayonet with canvas scabbard. I need to do more reading up on these.

Lee Enfield No 4 Mk2 Blade Bayonet with canvas scabbard. Also need to learn more about these.

Far right - US M7 Bayonet with M10 scabbard made by Imperial. This would be correct for M16 rifles and M4 carbines (now replaced by the M9).

What is really interesting is to see the differences in philosophy over the years, going from longer, almost sword like bayonets, to shorter dagger type, and eventually even shorter fighting knife styles.

Also, the M4, M5A1, and M7 all share the same basic blade design and mounting lug attachment style to the rifle. I guess if it isn't broken, don't fix it, right?

The US and German bayonets were clearly dual use...weapon mounted for jabbing and charging, and also for close quarters hand to hand use. The Lee Enfiled bayonets were strictly for use on the rifle, and did not have a handle to allow them to be effectively used for hand to hand combat.

I have enjoyed reading up on these, and learning about the history of them. I hope to add more, as well as the rifles they went with as time and money allows!

babolat69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Nice collection. I have a small collection myself which I actually started before collecting rifles. The history behind them is awesome.

Now its a vicious circle. If I buy a rifle, I need to get the bayonet. If I get a bayonet, I have to buy the rifle... :)

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Looks good, now we need a pic with them attached to their rifles!

I've got a few bayonets, nothing special, though. One from an old Turn Mauser I had awhile back, a spike like yours that came with a Savage made Enfield, and one from a Jap Arisaka that my grandpa brough back from WWII. He actually brought back two rifles, complete with bayonets and back in the 60's, he gave them to a neighbor who was to get them cleaned up and get some ammo in exchange for one of the rifles. he ended up keeping both of them, so the only thing that was passed down was teh bayonet. I've played with that since I ws a kid and it's still around!

Doug K

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    My wifes Gpa gave me one of the M4 with the M8A1 scabbard. It is leather like yours, however the blade looks shiny to me. It looks polished, like original polished. Did these come this way or do you think someone overtime buffed it or something? If they did it was a good job, however not really knowing much about them I thought it might of been a well taken care of piece or a parade knife. It does look used but in vg condition if it is supposed to look shiny I would say. The scabbard does not have the metal tip on the end like yours, it does not look like it came with one, however there is a hole in the end for cord. Thanks for you reply if you got the time. I think he said he picked it up for around 25$ about 10 yrs ago at a auction in MI. I think I lucked into it. Thanks again.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Nice collection. I have a small collection myself which I actually started before collecting rifles. The history behind them is awesome.

Now its a vicious circle. If I buy a rifle, I need to get the bayonet. If I get a bayonet, I have to buy the rifle... :)

Yep, it is a viscious circle indeed. Two of the bayonets pictured don't have a rifle to go with them. I need a WWII Garand (mine is Korean era), and an Enfield No4. mk2.

Looks good, now we need a pic with them attached to their rifles!

Doug K

Hoping to get one of those pretty soon. I will probably get one with the M91/30 with its spike bayo as well. That gets the top prize for overall length!

My wifes Gpa gave me one of the M4 with the M8A1 scabbard. It is leather like yours, however the blade looks shiny to me. It looks polished, like original polished. Did these come this way or do you think someone overtime buffed it or something? If they did it was a good job, however not really knowing much about them I thought it might of been a well taken care of piece or a parade knife. It does look used but in vg condition if it is supposed to look shiny I would say. The scabbard does not have the metal tip on the end like yours, it does not look like it came with one, however there is a hole in the end for cord. Thanks for you reply if you got the time. I think he said he picked it up for around 25$ about 10 yrs ago at a auction in MI. I think I lucked into it. Thanks again.

It is my understanding that the blades on the M4 were parkerized, but I don't know that with 100% certainty.

As far as the scabbard, I think the M8A1 has the metal and loop for the cord, where the original M8 would not have (it would look just like the end fo the M7 scabbard for the M1 bayonet). The M8A1 is probably the one that is more likely to be found, since it was the Korean era scabbard that would fit both the M4 bayo (M1 Carbine) and M5 bayo (M1 Garand). Most M1 carbines didn't get their lugs until late in WWII and then served on into the Korean conflict.

Here are a few good links.

Welcome to M4Bayonets.com

US Model M4 Bayonet for the M1 Carbine

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Good looking set there. Bayonets are a hoot. If you ever get around Springfield, Missouri check the gun shops and antique shops around there. I don't know why but of every town I've visited, Springfield seems to be overpopulated with old bayonets.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I have one of the M7's with the M10 sheath that I bought to use on my M4 style AR and it doesn't fit the bayo lug on my rifle. The upper is a Del Ton upper with government profile barrel. Any ideas?

BTW very nice collection, I'm also looking for one for a K98 as well. At least now I know what they look like.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have one of the M7's with the M10 sheath that I bought to use on my M4 style AR and it doesn't fit the bayo lug on my rifle. The upper is a Del Ton upper with government profile barrel. Any ideas?

BTW very nice collection, I'm also looking for one for a K98 as well. At least now I know what they look like.

Not sure what to tell you on the M7. This one fits my Delton HBAR with no problem. Is the lug just a little bit to wide maybe?

The K98's are a little harder to find, and expect to pay at least $75 or more for one with matching numbers on the bayo and scabbard. I waited around to find a 1935, since the K98 we have was made in 1935.

Top Bottom