My First day with a Mosin.....and Range Report.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well after the first shot I didn't think it kicked to bad.:yesway: It shot way high at 50 yards. After settling down a bit, I noticed that it was about 8-10" at 50 yards. I aimed at the same spot in each group of 3 shots and they were for the most part within 4". Once I had the distance adjusted for, I was shooting very well. After about 20 rounds, I DID notice the mule kick.:D I started shooting very poorly because of it I think. :dunno:

Someone there had a Mosin with a 'pad'. He offered for me to shoot it and I tell you what, I am ordering a pad. It was night and day.:rockwoot:

So, after quite a few rounds I realized that my shoulder hurt. I think it was that I was taking the butt OFF my shoulder before I shot, which of course is much worse.:popcorn:

When I got home the wife asked how it was, and I showed her..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Anyhow, the verdict is : I will be getting another sometime, maybe a carbine version and I will continue to shoot it. I LOVE it!:rockwoot:

As I side note, I was shooting my pellet gun at 50 yards and it even hurt by that time. Surprisingly though it was VERY accurate for 5 shots. They all would fall within a baseball size circle. The the wind started and the shots were all over the place. (1200 fps Beeman with cheap pellets so ~950fps?).:D

I also shot our AR and did fair, it was Wolf ammo, but my son did well with it so it must have been me.:yesway:

Shot my 597 Bull Barrel and it was as expected awesome! What a tack driver.

Anyhow, the Mosin is a winner for $100.....I would recommend it.:ingo:

usaguy2006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes sir. I love me a Mosin.. Cheap and fun to shoot. I told my fiance that when I die i want to be buried with a mosin across my chest and clinched in my right hand. Told her to put some ammo in one of my pockets. I plan on purchasing one soon for this purpose and never shooting it.. Just cleaning it and storing it for the big day. LOL (anyone else ever made such a request?)

JStark6213

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Brownsburg, IN
    Holy Cow man... I've put more than 70 rounds through mine in one day and have never been bruised at all... that is brutal! I don't know how you shoot, but you might want to try holding it into your shoulder a little bit more snuggly!

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    but you might want to try holding it into your shoulder a little bit more snuggly!

Yeah I know, I bought the woosy pad anyway....and 400 rounds for $78 shipped. I will not look this way next time for sure.

SportsmansGuide

The first 10 were no issue, then I started getting more sore. It is definitely the way I was shooting, not snugging the butt against the shoulder. Part of that was the new Sled I was using I think.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    Yeah I know, I bought the woosy pad anyway....and 400 rounds for $78 shipped. I will not look this way next time for sure.

SportsmansGuide

The first 10 were no issue, then I started getting more sore. It is definitely the way I was shooting, not snugging the butt against the shoulder. Part of that was the new Sled I was using I think.

For what it's worth your shoulder gets used to it. I bruised a lot worse than you did the first 2 or 3 times I shot it. I don't bruise at all now. My Mosin is my favorite by far so enjoy yours.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Never had a rifle bruise me before, just 3" magnum sabot slugs from my mossy 695.

One tip if guns are really beating you up... With your left hand pull the weapon away from you, and with your right hand pull it into your shoulder hard. This will tense up all the muscles across your back and arms, and will make you handle a heavier recoiling gun more easily.

Doing that, I can do 3" mag dumps with my saiga 12 all day and my shoulder would never know it.

1943Izzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Liberty
    Me , my son , my brother-in-law , my nephew , and a couple of guys from work have all shot my 91/30 without any bruising .We shoot in sweatshirts with no butt pad. We range from 140lbs to 340 lbs . I think my son 's single shot 20 guage kicks much worse .

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Me , my son , my brother-in-law , my nephew , and a couple of guys from work have all shot my 91/30 without any bruising .We shoot in sweatshirts with no butt pad. We range from 140lbs to 340 lbs . I think my son 's single shot 20 guage kicks much worse .

Ok that was funny except that I can shoot my 12 guage 870 all day long with no issues. It just became an issue after about 20 rounds. I weigh 180 so that isnt it. It had to be the way I was holding it AFTER I began to notice it, then it just got worse.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well its been three days and I got my woosie pad in the mail wit 5 stripper clips. Although it doesn't hurt anymore it sure looks like crap....

I wasn't going to post it by the wife said I deserve it...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It looks worse than it feels, but I cant wait to shoot her again!:yesway:

Maybe I need more vitamin C

Edit I posted in the wrong thread earlier.....

emmitsmithxd9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Well dad ( edsinger ) I remember being at the range with you on this day, although you shot 8 rounds more than me, you earned the woosie pad.

Top Bottom