• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Okay, I'm gonna bounce this off of you folks to see if I'm just being overly Dad-like or if my concerns are objectively reasonable to y'all...

My daughter just moved out "on her own" last July, taking her little lap dog with her. (It really was an annoying little mutt most of the time, but the Princess just loves it to death) Fast forward to Saturday, when she tells the Missus that she's going to look at another dog...I assume it's the Great Dane she had been talking about, but no-o-o-o-o-o! She went out and adopted a wolf-husky hybrid without doing much (if any) research on the complications that they entail. I figure it's a matter of time until the new critter kills and eats the lap dog and anything or anyone who tries to interfere with snack-time, and I'm just about to pull my remaining hair out. She won't be able to get homeowner's insurance or even board the beast anywhere when she goes on her honeymoom later this year (I'm sure as hell not dog-sitting it so it can eat my terrier mix), and I'll bet my next paycheck that she has no plans to build the containment structure required by state law.

What's the consensus; am I just being overprotective in this case, or do I have a potential problem that I'm going to have to deal with at some point in the near future?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Rule #1. Women are insane, they can't help it. I learned long ago that nothing in this world, least of all the fact I am related to them, changes rule #1. I feel for you. Enjoy the dog-sitting.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I was afraid of that...she's more than a little naive about how dangerous some things/animals/people can be, and she thinks she'll be able to control what is essentially a highly-evolved killing machine and one of the most successful predatory species on the continent. This is gonna go SO bad...

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Rule #1. Women are insane, they can't help it. I learned long ago that nothing in this world, least of all the fact I am related to them, changes rule #1. I feel for you. Enjoy the dog-sitting.

Ummm, NOT!! That thing doesn't come anywhere near my little buddy, or even our German Shepherd. The princess will come home to find its hide on a stretcher, drying in the sun!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    We are partially to blame. We can't help but spoil and overprotect our little girls. It's really no wonder they grow up without fear.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Guilty as charged, I suppose. I just wish she had inherited some of my analytical nature as opposed to Mommy's feather-light emotional trigger. There goes the rest of my hair!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I'm sure she has some of your qualities as well. They just might not come to the surface when you would want them to. I feel for you. They all have to make mistakes growing up. It's just really tough watching sometimes.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah not a good idea at all. I'm not an expert but I know a few things about wild animals and natural breed pets. A) wild animals and natural breeds have instincts that are very basic to us all, but some all too often forget about. These can come out at unexpected times, but also can be ,"predicted", sometimes, based on body language of the animal.
    B) Wild animals and natural breeds tend to "test the rules more". C) They also eat a lot more D) They are generally more territorial and defensive than more domesticated breeds.

From that standpoint no not at all, I would say the best thing is education of both species to fully understand their habits, body language, and general personality. Then education about the mixed-breed, and after that, see if she feels comfortable.

However, from a little experience, I do have a friend who has one and it is a huge baby. They have had it several years with no issues, except the dogs excessive energy.

Also;IC 15-20-1-5 Version a
    Wolf hybrid and coydog liability; criminal offenses
    Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also following version of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 5. (a) The following definitions apply throughout this section:
    (1) "Coydog" means:
    (A) an animal that is the offspring of a coyote and another animal; or
    (B) an animal that is the offspring of:
    (i) an animal that is the offspring of a coyote and another animal; and
    (ii) another animal.
    (2) "Secure enclosure" means an outdoor pen that is:
    (A) roofed or that has sides at least six (6) feet tall; and
    (B) constructed in such a manner that the type of animal contained within the pen cannot reasonably be expected to escape.
    (3) "Wolf hybrid" means:
    (A) an animal that is the offspring of a wolf and another animal; or
    (i) an animal that is the offspring of a wolf and another animal; and
    (ii) another animal.
    (b) An owner of a wolf hybrid or coydog shall:
    (1) keep the animal in a building or secure enclosure; or
    (2) keep the animal:
    (A) under the reasonable control of an individual; and
    (B) on a leash not more than eight (8) feet in length.
    Subject to subsections (c) and (d), an owner who does not comply with this subsection commits a Class B infraction. An owner who merely tethers or chains a coydog or wolf hybrid does not comply with this subsection.
    (c) Subject to subsection (d), an owner of a wolf hybrid or coydog commits a Class B misdemeanor if the owner recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally fails to comply with subsection (b) and:
    (1) the wolf hybrid or coydog enters property other than the property of the owner; and
    (2) the wolf hybrid or coydog causes damage to livestock or the personal property of another individual.
    (d) The offense under subsection (c) is:
    (1) a Class A misdemeanor if the owner has one (1) prior unrelated conviction under this section;
    (2) a Class D felony if:
    (A) the owner has more than one (1) prior unrelated conviction for a violation under this section; or
    (B) the owner knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly fails to comply with subsection (b) and the failure to comply results in serious bodily injury to a person; and
    (3) a Class C felony if the owner knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly fails to comply with subsection (b) and the failure to comply results in the death of a person.
    (e) Notwithstanding IC 36-1-3-8(a), a unit (as defined in IC 36-1-2-23) may adopt an ordinance:
    (1) prohibiting a person from possessing a wolf hybrid or coydog; or
    (2) imposing:
    (A) a penalty of more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) up to the limits prescribed in IC 36-1-3-8(a)(10)(B) for a violation of subsection (b); or
    (B) conditions on the possession of a wolf hybrid or coydog that are more stringent than the provisions of subsection (b).
    As added by P.L.2-2008, SEC.11.

IC 15-20-1-5 Version b
    Wolf hybrid and coydog liability; criminal offenses
    Note: This version of section effective 7-1-2014. See also preceding version of this section, effective until 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 5. (a) The following definitions apply throughout this section:
    (1) "Coydog" means:
    (A) an animal that is the offspring of a coyote and another animal; or
    (i) an animal that is the offspring of a coyote and another animal; and
    (ii) another animal.
    (2) "Secure enclosure" means an outdoor pen that is:
    (A) roofed or that has sides at least six (6) feet tall; and
    (B) constructed in such a manner that the type of animal contained within the pen cannot reasonably be expected to escape.
    (3) "Wolf hybrid" means:
    (A) an animal that is the offspring of a wolf and another animal; or

(i) an animal that is the offspring of a wolf and another animal; and
    (ii) another animal.
    (b) An owner of a wolf hybrid or coydog shall:
    (1) keep the animal in a building or secure enclosure; or
    (2) keep the animal:
    (A) under the reasonable control of an individual; and
    (B) on a leash not more than eight (8) feet in length.
    Subject to subsections (c) and (d), an owner who does not comply with this subsection commits a Class B infraction. An owner who merely tethers or chains a coydog or wolf hybrid does not comply with this subsection.
    (c) Subject to subsection (d), an owner of a wolf hybrid or coydog commits a Class B misdemeanor if the owner recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally fails to comply with subsection (b) and:
    (1) the wolf hybrid or coydog enters property other than the property of the owner; and
    (2) the wolf hybrid or coydog causes damage to livestock or the personal property of another individual.
    (d) The offense under subsection (c) is:
    (1) a Class A misdemeanor if the owner has one (1) prior unrelated conviction under this section;
    (2) a Level 6 felony if:
    (A) the owner has more than one (1) prior unrelated conviction for a violation under this section; or
    (B) the owner knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly fails to comply with subsection (b) and the failure to comply results in serious bodily injury to a person; and
    (3) a Level 5 felony if the owner knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly fails to comply with subsection (b) and the failure to comply results in the death of a person.
    (e) Notwithstanding IC 36-1-3-8(a), a unit (as defined in IC 36-1-2-23) may adopt an ordinance:
    (1) prohibiting a person from possessing a wolf hybrid or coydog; or
    (2) imposing:
    (A) a penalty of more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) up to the limits prescribed in IC 36-1-3-8(a)(10)(B) for a violation of subsection (b); or
    (B) conditions on the possession of a wolf hybrid or coydog that are more stringent than the provisions of subsection (b).
    As added by P.L.2-2008, SEC.11. Amended by P.L.158-2013, SEC.227.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My idiot/insane/self centered/always correct especially if a man says it is wrong sister rescued a Wolf/Husky dog like what you are talking about. That animal is not a pet. I like dogs/cats etc. I have always been accepted by even most mean dogs. That thing has attacked and hurt a few people including me causing her some legal issues/loss of a job and so on. Did she get rid of it........"NO"
    Is she still mad at me for kicking the animals "A$$" when it jumped me from behind........"Yes"

Females are not going to listen. I still love-em though...............:):

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I was afraid of that...she's more than a little naive about how dangerous some things/animals/people can be, and she thinks she'll be able to control what is essentially a highly-evolved killing machine and one of the most successful predatory species on the continent. This is gonna go SO bad...

Uhhh.....yep, 'fraid so........my worse fear here(yotes,etc) when I let'em out (Yorkies), other'n fire when I ain' 'round........

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    In the beginning, God created the amoeba, as an experiment. Then he created the teenage brain. *

* adapted from 'Brother Theodore' (circa '60's)

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    While I sympathize with your plight - remember ArmedProgrammer's First Law of Parenting: Behind every successful man is a good woman - and usually a couple of VERY surprised parents!

You never know how it may work out!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Seems to me there should be some accountability on the part of the person/organization that put the animal in her hands in the first place. The rescue shelter where our two dogs came from was pretty inquisitive regarding our home and our ability to care for them. I would be having a conversation with them about the likelihood of that animal returning.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Saw a Nova show on PBS about the coy/wolves and good luck with the animal. They are not afraid of anything and travel long distances in one night. Program said the breeding started in Eastern Canada in a National Park and they are everywhere and run along the railroad tracks to cover long distances and not be seen. Can adapt to all environments. Not a pet I would want.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    A husky wolf hybrid? That thing will eat her soul, not just her flesh. I have a husky GSD hybrid and he's a lover, but a wolf? Those things don't even register on the sanity scale. Pray for her if that's your proclivity, but she needs all the help she can get.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We had some neighbors who had a wolf hybrid. He was a beautiful dog and was always mild mannered and friendly. I hope hers is too!

Top Bottom