• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My dad has been raising chickens for a few years, so I decided to join in. He's picking up 8-10 australorps for me, and I'll get them when they are at egg laying age which is in about 8-10 weeks. So, first step is to build a coop. I wanted something that would be low to zero maintenance, so I went with a plastic shed. I figure it will be easy to power wash when needed.

The shed is 7x7 which is plenty for 8-10 chickens and still allows me to expand if I want to. I raised the shed two feet off the ground so the chickens have more room and to keep mice from nesting under the shed. Surrounding the shed will be a 13x14 enclosure which will be covered by 1/2 inch hardware cloth. This area will be filled with river sand. The back half of the enclosure will have a steel roof which will provide protection from the elements for the chickens and their feed.

On each corner of the enclosure will be an access port which will allow me to move my 10x18 chicken tractor when needed. This will allow me to move them to "greener pastures" which will be a combination of grass and clover.

Right now, I'm waiting for the weather to cooperate, so things are kind of slow going, but here's a picture of my progress.
    20230316_155250.jpg

If anyone has suggestions, I'm open to them.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    My dad has been raising chickens for a few years, so I decided to join in. He's picking up 8-10 australorps for me, and I'll get them when they are at egg laying age which is in about 8-10 weeks. So, first step is to build a coop. I wanted something that would be low to zero maintenance, so I went with a plastic shed. I figure it will be easy to power wash when needed.

The shed is 7x7 which is plenty for 8-10 chickens and still allows me to expand if I want to. I raised the shed two feet off the ground so the chickens have more room and to keep mice from nesting under the shed. Surrounding the shed will be a 13x14 enclosure which will be covered by 1/2 inch hardware cloth. This area will be filled with river sand. The back half of the enclosure will have a steel roof which will provide protection from the elements for the chickens and their feed.

On each corner of the enclosure will be an access port which will allow me to move my 10x18 chicken tractor when needed. This will allow me to move them to "greener pastures" which will be a combination of grass and clover.

Right now, I'm waiting for the weather to cooperate, so things are kind of slow going, but here's a picture of my progress.
    View attachment 263119

If anyone has suggestions, I'm open to them.
    Looks like a great start ! Will be looking for your progress pics .
    We have had chickens for about 12 years now .........

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    How many do you have? What have you done different over the years? Have you heard of the deep litter method? Do you use it? If not, how often do you clean the coop?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Will they enter and leave through the big doors, or are you cutting in small doors on the sides for them to come and go? If so how many are you putting in?

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    How many do you have? What have you done different over the years? Have you heard of the deep litter method? Do you use it? If not, how often do you clean the coop?
    We have 24 hens and just 1 rooster right now .........We started out small ( 6 birds and a small coop ) and it just kept getting bigger and adding on . Added a larger outside run . Added about 6 more birds and it seemed over crowded , so built another Coop and outside run but kept 2 separate flocks of similar ages .
    We have used the deep litter method ( mainly in the winter to help with maintaining a bit of heat ) I encourage outside feeding just so most of the mess is outside the coop = less frequent cleaning . I do install a sloped rigged vinyl sheet under the roosting bars that catches all the crap while sleeping . Makes it very quick to use a scoop shovel and keep it clear between cleanings .

This was our first set up ...........Had the small one then added and joined the other one .All enclosed like yours will be .
    No predators to worry about .
    thumbnail coop 1.jpg thumbnail coop 2.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    On each side will be a small access door on the corner. This will allow me to have four separate areas to move the tractor to. I wanted to have six areas, but my septic system fingers forced me to move the coop closer to the back fence. I could cut down a few 65 foot trees, but I'm not interested in doing that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On each side will be a small access door on the corner. This will allow me to have four separate areas to move the tractor to. I wanted to have six areas, but my septic system fingers forced me to move the coop closer to the back fence. I could cut down a few 65 foot trees, but I'm not interested in doing that.
    I was afraid of that. Between the two doors on the side, and the two doors on the front, I'm afraid you cant call that a chicken coop. Its actually a Chicken Sedan since it has 4 doors. :joke:

(I know, I know. I'll show myself out. )

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I envy both projects. MIL raises some each spring. I’d like to try but I’m to old to learn and don’t think I could keep up with it in winter.

Nice coops guys. :thumbsup:

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Our set up now is completely different .....we moved over 5 years ago . I converted one of my horse stalls on the backside of my barn to one large coop . ( 10` x 12` ) put a wood floor in it ( 4 coats of porch floor paint and sealer ) for easier cleaning .
    Cut in some windows and access doors . Built an outdoor ( 10 x 12 ) attached covered "porch" if you will . That leads to a 40 x 50 fenced in area with net covered top .
    I can close doors/gates and keep them in just the outside run , just the porch area or in the coop.

IMG_5758.JPG IMG_6005.JPG IMG_6006.JPG

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Coop.jpg

I'm getting ready to build a coop for my MIL. She gave me a picture of what she wanted and a few dimensions and I drew it up. Not pictured here is the nesting boxes that will be on the inside. I don't know how many birds she plans on having.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    We have 24 hens and just 1 rooster right now .........We started out small ( 6 birds and a small coop ) and it just kept getting bigger and adding on . Added a larger outside run . Added about 6 more birds and it seemed over crowded , so built another Coop and outside run but kept 2 separate flocks of similar ages .
    We have used the deep litter method ( mainly in the winter to help with maintaining a bit of heat ) I encourage outside feeding just so most of the mess is outside the coop = less frequent cleaning . I do install a sloped rigged vinyl sheet under the roosting bars that catches all the crap while sleeping . Makes it very quick to use a scoop shovel and keep it clear between cleanings .

This was our first set up ...........Had the small one then added and joined the other one .All enclosed like yours will be .
    No predators to worry about .
    View attachment 263125 View attachment 263126
    Good grief, this makes my chicken coop look like a meth house. Man very beautiful setup

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    If this coop is going to stay where you have it bury some fencing along your fence line completely around it to keep the raccoon, fox or coyote from digging under it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My predator proofing will be a multi stage process.

1. Six foot chain link fence around the back yard.
    2. Hardware cloth will be buried a foot below the surface.
    3. Automatic chicken door will be installed.
    4. Motion activated lights are in the back yard.
    5. Motion alarms will be positioned around the coop.
    6. PCP air rifle with thermal scope will be by my bed at night.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Our set up now is completely different .....we moved over 5 years ago . I converted one of my horse stalls on the backside of my barn to one large coop . ( 10` x 12` ) put a wood floor in it ( 4 coats of porch floor paint and sealer ) for easier cleaning .
    Cut in some windows and access doors . Built an outdoor ( 10 x 12 ) attached covered "porch" if you will . That leads to a 40 x 50 fenced in area with net covered top .
    I can close doors/gates and keep them in just the outside run , just the porch area or in the coop.

View attachment 263128 View attachment 263129 View attachment 263130
    You must have kids or are REALLY short....how do you mow that?

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay....I have been thinking about doing some chickens but want a more hands off approach.

This is a question for the rest of the chicken owners out there and a look into my thought process.

I KNOW in the old days we never fenced them in...they just ran around the property.

I live in the woods and don't want to deal with trying to fence off a large area and put a mesh ceiling over the entire thing. (If some get eaten then it is a lesson to the others.)

My thought is just a roosting/laying house with a dawn to dusk automatic door from Amazon. Keep them watered, maybe a feed bin, and let them have the woods during the day.

We had chickens a long time ago and they were always in bed well before dark.

I am trying to figure out what/if my loss rate would be letting them forge for themselves in the woods during the day and providing a safe place to sleep.

We do have some owls and coyote in the area but not large amounts so I know we may come up with missing birds but what I save on feed can replace the donation to local predators every spring.

What say the INGO chicken owners?

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    One trick I learned was to put linoleum floor down in the coop. Makes it really easy to clean. We do the deep litter in the winter but not in the summer. We have 8 hens now and 5 more chicks under the heat lamp. I also painted the walls inside my coop with gloss white paint for easy cleaning.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Okay....I have been thinking about doing some chickens but want a more hands off approach.

This is a question for the rest of the chicken owners out there and a look into my thought process.

I KNOW in the old days we never fenced them in...they just ran around the property.

I live in the woods and don't want to deal with trying to fence off a large area and put a mesh ceiling over the entire thing. (If some get eaten then it is a lesson to the others.)

My thought is just a roosting/laying house with a dawn to dusk automatic door from Amazon. Keep them watered, maybe a feed bin, and let them have the woods during the day.

We had chickens a long time ago and they were always in bed well before dark.

I am trying to figure out what/if my loss rate would be letting them forge for themselves in the woods during the day and providing a safe place to sleep.

We do have some owls and coyote in the area but not large amounts so I know we may come up with missing birds but what I save on feed can replace the donation to local predators every spring.

What say the INGO chicken owners?
    We used to let our chicken roam free. We have 21 acres of wooded property with foxes, hawks, etc. Twice we’ve lost all of our flock at once during daylight hours, 25-30 birds each time. We don’t let them free range anymore. They have a 35x60 run behind the coup that they stay in during the day.

It’s easier to let them roam, but you’ll end up starting over a few times before realizing it’s not a good idea. And you’ll need to subsidize their food, they won’t find enough to eat rooting around in the leaves.

Just my two cents.

Top Bottom