• ...and so much more!
  • stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    What say the INGO chicken owners?

We used to let our chicken roam free. We have 21 acres of wooded property with foxes, hawks, etc. Twice we’ve lost all of our flock at once during daylight hours, 25-30 birds each time. We don’t let them free range anymore. They have a 35x60 run behind the coup that they stay in during the day.

It’s easier to let them roam, but you’ll end up starting over a few times before realizing it’s not a good idea. And you’ll need to subsidize their food, they won’t find enough to eat rooting around in the leaves.

Just my two cents.
    ^^^^^^ Bobjones .......what he said ^^^^^
    Once a predator finds a new food source , they will eat until it`s gone . I would count on a 100% chance of losing them all if they were to roam the woods freely .

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    One trick I learned was to put linoleum floor down in the coop. Makes it really easy to clean. We do the deep litter in the winter but not in the summer. We have 8 hens now and 5 more chicks under the heat lamp. I also painted the walls inside my coop with gloss white paint for easy cleaning.
    I put vinyl sheet ( acrovyn was the trade name ) in my earlier coops as well . Definitely makes for easier cleaning .

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Made some progress before the rain comes again. I dug out the coop area six inches down. I'll backfill with a layer of gravel and then sand. Then, I got hardware cloth on one side. That stuff messes with my OCD, I can't get it perfectly straight and tight. I don't think the chickens will mind though.

20230321_194652.jpg

I sandwiched the hardware cloth between two boards and took it 12 inches below grade.

20230321_194702.jpg

Now to wait for a clear day to continue...

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Made some progress before the rain comes again. I dug out the coop area six inches down. I'll backfill with a layer of gravel and then sand. Then, I got hardware cloth on one side. That stuff messes with my OCD, I can't get it perfectly straight and tight. I don't think the chickens will mind though.

View attachment 264559

I sandwiched the hardware cloth between two boards and took it 12 inches below grade.

View attachment 264560

I am impressed, that is a chicken pent house. I admire your detail.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Since it was muddy, I decided to tackle the chicken feeder. I used 4 inch PVC pipe and made a three chicken feeder but with one fill spout. I could have saved a bit of money making three feeders, but I'm going for easier in the long run. I also added slots that will be covered with plexiglass so I can easily see if it needs filled. I made it so it can be hung on a bar that I made so I can adjust height if necessary.

20230322_212230.jpg

20230322_211435.jpg

I reduced the size inside to control the feed and keep it from overflowing. 20230322_212820.jpg

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area

View attachment 264559

View attachment 264560

Looks Great ! Chickens will certainly be safe in there ...........
    The County Assessor will probably love it too ! ;)

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center

View attachment 264559

View attachment 264560

Any chance you have plans and/or a parts list for this?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Not really, I'm just making it up as I go. 4x4 for the vertical posts, 5/4 decking for the horizontal, then hardware cloth, then 5/8 to sandwich the hardware cloth.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012

View attachment 264559

View attachment 264560

How long do you think the hardware cloth will last buried in the ground?

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort
    Since it was muddy, I decided to tackle the chicken feeder. I used 4 inch PVC pipe and made a three chicken feeder but with one fill spout. I could have saved a bit of money making three feeders, but I'm going for easier in the long run. I also added slots that will be covered with plexiglass so I can easily see if it needs filled. I made it so it can be hung on a bar that I made so I can adjust height if necessary.

View attachment 264789

View attachment 264793

I reduced the size inside to control the feed and keep it from overflowing. View attachment 264794

Will it easily remain moisture/clog free? (city boy asking a dumb question)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My dad has been raising chickens for a few years, so I decided to join in. He's picking up 8-10 australorps for me, and I'll get them when they are at egg laying age which is in about 8-10 weeks. So, first step is to build a coop. I wanted something that would be low to zero maintenance, so I went with a plastic shed. I figure it will be easy to power wash when needed.

The shed is 7x7 which is plenty for 8-10 chickens and still allows me to expand if I want to. I raised the shed two feet off the ground so the chickens have more room and to keep mice from nesting under the shed. Surrounding the shed will be a 13x14 enclosure which will be covered by 1/2 inch hardware cloth. This area will be filled with river sand. The back half of the enclosure will have a steel roof which will provide protection from the elements for the chickens and their feed.

On each corner of the enclosure will be an access port which will allow me to move my 10x18 chicken tractor when needed. This will allow me to move them to "greener pastures" which will be a combination of grass and clover.

Right now, I'm waiting for the weather to cooperate, so things are kind of slow going, but here's a picture of my progress.
    View attachment 263119

If anyone has suggestions, I'm open to them.
    I really like what you did there and I agree 100% on making it as maintenance free as humanly possible. I think what you did there was great and I did something very similar almost 2 years ago when I bought a snaplock large chicken coop because it doesn't rot, rust, or wear with the weather. This year we added more chickens and I would have bought another of my original chicken coops, but the price on them is around $1,000 now compared to when I originally bought mine, so I made a giant box on legs for the new additional birds that would house all the chickens I have and then some.

Top Bottom