Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    A Homestead woman's home was auctioned to the highest bidder

By TODD WRIGHT

Updated 5:38 PM EDT, Wed, Aug 19, 2009

You know times are tough when people are getting kicked out of their house when it’s not even for sale.
    That’s what happened to Anna Ramirez after she found all of her stuff out on the front lawn of her Homestead home last week and a strange man demanding she get out of his newly purchased house.
    The eviction came after Ramirez’s home was mistakenly auctioned off to the highest bidder by her bank, Washington Mutual (yes, we know WaMu is now Chase, but we're in denial). Usually, you get a warning before you get the boot. A foreclosure letter. Maybe a sign saying your house is up for sale. Not Ramirez, who found her belongings bashed and battered in the street.
    "This came out of nowhere," Ramirez said. "The bank took the house from right under my feet."

The man who bought the house told Ramirez he paid $87,000 for it, which shocked Ramirez, who bought the house for $260,000.

What's worse is her husband, daughter and grand children were also kicked out by Homestead and Miami-Dade police officers, said Martha Taylor, who witnessed the unexpected eviction.
    "I have never seen anything like it," Taylor said. "They literally threw all her stuff on the front lawn. I didn't sleep that night and it wasn't even my house."
    Ramirez and her family had three hours to get out of the house, police ordered. They had to stash their belongings at multiple locations and shacked up with a friend for the night as cops chained the doors of their home. With Taylor's help, Ramirez appeared before a judge two days later to explain what happened.
    "I had all my stuff scattered everywhere," she said. "They did this in front all my neighbors. It was so embarassing."
    A mistake in the Miami-Dade Clerk's Office appears to be behind the mishap, which landed Ramirez homeless for more than 24 hours.
    The sale was eventually reversed by a Miami-Dade judge, allowing Ramirez to return to her old digs. Ramirez said she wants to sue for the damage to her furniture.
    Ramirez has lived in the house for three years and recently refinanced the home with the bank.
    "This shouldn't be happening, you know, because we did the right thing," she said. "We went step by step."

I would have someone's :moon: over this.
    Isn't there a process for evictions? This is pure :poop:

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I think that I would also want the guys who so carelessly tossed her belongings to be fired from their jobs. It does not sound like the rough treatment was justified in this case. To say that they were just doing their jobs is not a good excuse.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I saw this story too and had the same thoughts, but add in these few:

1. Homeowner was home and decided to make a stand of it. After 10 hours with the swat & negotiations team and only 3 shots total fired between the two, the homeowner was taken into custody. The mortgage owner admits their mistake, but the homeowner still is in jail facing charges of attempted murder of a police officer.

2. Same story as above, except homeowner is dead.

3. Homeowner comes home to find all his stuff on front lawn except guns, those are missing.

4. Homeowner's guns are at the popo who won't give them back until homeowner can "Prove" ownership.

The list goes on and on...

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    ditto

I saw this story too and had the same thoughts, but add in these few:

1. Homeowner was home and decided to make a stand of it. After 10 hours with the swat & negotiations team and only 3 shots total fired between the two, the homeowner was taken into custody. The mortgage owner admits their mistake, but the homeowner still is in jail facing charges of attempted murder of a police officer.

2. Same story as above, except homeowner is dead.

3. Homeowner comes home to find all his stuff on front lawn except guns, those are missing.

4. Homeowner's guns are at the popo who won't give them back until homeowner can "Prove" ownership.

The list goes on and on...
    :+1:

MountainDewed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    I can envision the guy that was in the news a short time ago about the unpaid taxes. It is a scary thing the world we live in today. Remember Guilty until proven innocent.

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    I am really not surprised that this does not happen more often. I occasionly buy properties through sheriffs sales and you would be surprised how often that the legal description and property tax ID # listed on the judgement does not match the address listed on the jdugement. with as many address errors as there are i am surprised they still bother to include the address. I ALWAYS double and triple check all the tax ID #'s with the bank and the courthouse to make sure this never happens.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I think that I would also want the guys who so carelessly tossed her belongings to be fired from their jobs. It does not sound like the rough treatment was justified in this case. To say that they were just doing their jobs is not a good excuse.

A buddy of mine recently went thru an court ordered eviction. The "moving company" was pretty careless in packing things up, then charged several thousand dollars in various "fees" which if not paid would be made up for by the auction of said goods. When all was said and done, fees paid etc., many items were missing or damaged. Basically he was told "Prove It" as they slammed the door in his face. He was present as things were being loaded and heard some of the movers calling "dibs" on various pieces of property, strangely many of these same "dibbed" items never resurfaced. Gotta love our govenment!!!!

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I work with a guy who's had this happen to him. Twice. His house is paid for and yet the bank has repeatedly sold it out from under him.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Wow, that would be terrible. It's not much different for impounding. I had a flat tire, walked two miles to call someone to come get me. Went to town and got another tire put on the rim, on my way back noticed someone with a flatbed had stole my truck. Called police who informed me the property owner reported an abandoned vehicle which had hit his fence (which it hadn't considering there was no fence there) then had to drive back into town and pay 100 dollars to get it back out. Had a friend not lent me the 100, I would have had to wait till the next day, which it was a 70/day thieving.. I mean storage fee to keep it in a gravel lot. There was no ramification I could take at all. It wasn't even enough money to sue the property over. Just gave away a hundred dollars.

I hope they take that bank for every penny they can get. I doubt anyone was very kind to them while tossing their stuff out. I also hope the yahoo who bought the place learns why you should be compassionate.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    This Shouldn't EVER happen. I'd be owning a BANK when all was said and done. Then I'd sell it to the highest bidder. :D

A buddy of mine recently went thru an court ordered eviction. The "moving company" was pretty careless in packing things up, then charged several thousand dollars in various "fees" which if not paid would be made up for by the auction of said goods. When all was said and done, fees paid etc., many items were missing or damaged. Basically he was told "Prove It" as they slammed the door in his face. He was present as things were being loaded and heard some of the movers calling "dibs" on various pieces of property, strangely many of these same "dibbed" items never resurfaced. Gotta love our govenment!!!!

That's why I always move myself. If I have to make three or four trips, so be it. I know my stuff got there safe. If I heard them calling dibs on my stuff and it come up missing, I'd just probably end up in jail.

Top Bottom