• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironjaw

Shooter
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    robert, i dont have that exact same one but i have the optima pro and i shoot a 250 grn bullet w/100grain powder using a nikon 3-9X40 scope and i can put 5 shots in a ten circle. just for giggles i used 150 grn powder and shot at a gallon jug of water at 220 paces ( not yards tho) and hit it on the 2nd and 3rd shot. i love my optima pro. and on dry days during hunting season this is my first chioce out of the gun closet.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    My advice to you haveing had bought, sold, handled and tested guns for 18 years. Avoid CVA if you can. Maybe try to find a clean used TC or Knight. Its not that much more to get a solid gun that will hold its value and continue to perform for a lifetime.
    Good luck
    Ok, here's my edit: I may have used poor words to say try to "avoid" CVA if you can. As with any gun, get what your budget allows.
    They do have good customer service and build a ok gun and they are cheaper than T/C. But, put them side by side, and better yet if you can, shoot both of them. There is no doubt then you will believe what I say. Its like if you say hey I want to get a really good shotgun and I'm lookin at this Mossberg.... there is nothing wrong with a Mossberg, its great, but its not a Beretta or Benelli.
    Also, as someone else mentioned, I would do my best to get SST. Much more resistant to the corrision.
    T/C has (or used to have) a lifetime warranty as well and I have had nothing but great service form them. Once, I dropped a Hawkin from my tree and broke the stock, I sent it back and totally admitted fault. They replaced it with a premium piece of walnut, no charge.
    Im sure there are similar stories about CVA.

Last edited:

ambushunter

Plinker
    Dec 30, 2009
    Northern IN
    I would get it or the acura. I picked up a acura last fall and its the best shooting Muzzy I have shot. Hows 3/8" 3 shot group at 100 yards. T/C makes a good gun bust customer service is a joke. I have a T/C triumph that has been back to them two times before I could even shoot the damn thing. And definatly stay away from knight. They are out of buisness. Besides CVA if you break it they fix it. Lifetime warrienty and if they don't make it any more they will give you a current replacement.

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    I have never owned a CVA but I have friend's that due and they have not had them that long so I don't know how they well hold up. If you get a muzzle loader I would get a SS one they well hold up for a lot more years than a blued rifle for the extra $80 it's worth it. They have had no problems yet. If you do go with CVA I don't think they make SS I think its nickel or something but I'm not for sure about this. I have a T/C Omega SS with a thumb hole stock I have had it for 5 yrs with no problems. I carry this rifle rain or snow or shine and it always goes bang. I set in a tree on opening day the year before last in rain all day and killed a 148 inch 8 pointer at 2:30pm. It had rained all day and the Omega still did the job. So you could say I'm a T/C fan. I shoot T/C Shockwave 250gr bullets with 150gr powder and it's very effective out to 200 yards. The Omega's a great gun and are still available for around $400 for SS

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    My advice to you haveing had bought, sold, handled and tested guns for 18 years. Avoid CVA if you can. Maybe try to find a clean used TC or Knight. Its not that much more to get a solid gun that will hold its value and continue to perform for a lifetime.
    Good luck
    Why do you say to avoid CVA? I have shot nothing but CVA for the last 22 years and have only had one problem with an old Hawken style rifle and they replaced it with with a letter of appology. I have been shooting the same CVA for the last 8 years and it still shoots as well as it did new.

I do have a friend that has a Knight, but he switched over to a CVA rolling block style rifle and loves it. CVA is a very good muzzle loader and I will contiue to shoot them.

meldusty

Plinker
    Jul 25, 2009
    I have had a .45 CVA Blackpowder rifle for five years. It is a tack driver and I love it. CVA HQ is in Atlanta and if you call the 800 number you will talk to a real live person.

chriscrystle

Plinker
    Mar 14, 2010
    Central IA
    I have the same gun only stainless and I love it. Put a Nikon Omega scope on it and it shoots great. no complaints with it yet. Easy to take apart and clean. Half the price of a T/C. Whats not to like?

antsi

Expert
    Nov 6, 2008
    I've got the cheapest CVA they make (Buckhorn) and it works fine for me.

Mine is supposed to be able to shoot 150gr powder charge, but it shoots very sweet for me with 100 grains (2 pyrodex pellets) and I see no reason to try a "magnum" muzzle loader load.

Robert1994

Plinker
    Mar 3, 2010
    Elkhart in
    Ok so my brother hunt as well and he said i should get one in stainless steel so i was looking at this one http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0076825217371a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&sort=all&QueryText=cva&Ntk=Products&Go.y=0&selectedPerPage=54&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Ns=SEL_LOW_PRICE|0&N=0&firstPage=true&Go.x=0&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1
    And would you recommended i wate and see if they go down in prices or do you think they will go up in price as the year go's on?:dunno:

panman

Plinker
    Mar 18, 2010
    I have a CVA thats around 12yrs,and is just as good as the day i got it.At 100yds with 85grs of triple 7 loose,it shoots 1" at a hundred all day long:D.
    Yea it may not be as pretty as some but,i dont keep a gun that doesnt shoot well.To me that CVA is a beautifull gun to behold.:twocents:.pan.

Eddie

Master
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I would tend to side with rhart. There is nothing wrong with CVA, I have owned and shot and taken deer with the old Hawken style CVA muzzleloaders; but CVA is not as good as some of the higher end brands. Buy what you can afford and enjoy it. CVA does have good customer support.

slcorson

Plinker
    Mar 19, 2010
    dont own one of my own yet, but have shot and seen many of the T/C pro hunters shot and they are tack-drivers! two deer at over 150yrds this past season! have read a little on the newer Savage muzzleloader - might check that out - uses smokeless powder!

Top Bottom