• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I just found my very first mushroom half an hour ago. My grandmother used to talk about them when I was a kid and I've obviously heard a lot about them over the years but I'd never found one and have never tasted one before. Found this guy while working on tree stands and there was one other about a foot away. Looked for another 45 minutes but couldn't find any more. They're soaking in water now, gotta figure out what to do with em now, I'm worried that this might become an obsession, I already love mushrooms and these might push me over the edge.

fyw7Pp4h.jpg

5GsOD0Dh.jpg

Congrates on your first shrooms!
    next time pinch them off at ground level leaving the root ball
    Add some salt to your water, it will make any bugs and mites run for the hills. Change the water after a bit and repeat with the salt. rinse in clean water when ready to cook

I cut mine in half length ways, so you basically get two for one, unless they are small then I cook them whole.
    I pull mine out of the water, cut them and put them on paper towel to get most the water off. just damp enough for the flower to stick.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I spent 2 hours around Lexington, in with no luck today. I didn’t go home empty handed though I picked up 3 ticks. I swear deet doesn’t do anything anymore

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Found a dried up grey and 4 more BIG yellows. Best season ive had in years unfortunately however, they were big enough we fried em up and served em next to two bone in ribeyes that were on sale 50% off at kroger. Not gonna lie, i was frikin stoked!! Awesome day any time i get to be in the woods with my lady.

drumsscott

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Carmel
    Where do you find $70 a pound mushroom buyers?

I have a friend that buys for Tom Landry's restaurants,he paid that last April-May 2017. Supply & Demand.. They want to offer morels before other restaurants like Ruth Chris.
    Go look and see how much Maine Lobsters are currently a pound. That price will drop very soon once the boats go out ...it was too cold to keep up with demand so it's high currently.
    Within the next month prices will range around $25-30/pound for morels.
    Just like buying certified Ginseng most restaurants require certification the morel's as well.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Covered 3 areas in Martin Co. yesterday, only found a single yellow about 3 inches tall. Whether was beautiful, but it's probably been too dry and cold at night this past week.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a friend that buys for Tom Landry's restaurants,he paid that last April-May 2017. Supply & Demand.. They want to offer morels before other restaurants like Ruth Chris.
    Go look and see how much Maine Lobsters are currently a pound. That price will drop very soon once the boats go out ...it was too cold to keep up with demand so it's high currently.
    Within the next month prices will range around $25-30/pound for morels.
    Just like buying certified Ginseng most restaurants require certification the morel's as well.
    Thanks for the info!

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    Wouldn't be surprised If the morel season starts a little late due to the very late start to consistent spring temperatures this year. I'm hoping our place in Washington County is flush in a few weeks

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Went for a couple of hours this afternoon and southern Johnson County. Not only were there no morels up, there doesn't appear to be any fungus growing on the ground at all. The ground up here is way too dry to me, and I think the temperatures have swung too hard. I'm worried we're not going to get much of anything in south central Indiana.

On a sidenote, I really really harbor I'll will against whoever thought that multiflora rose was a good idea. I did find a couple of pheasant back mushrooms which I cooked and ate tonight. They are different but I find them tasty.

Top Bottom