• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Monday night 5/31 at 9:30pm my neighbor and his brother and wife were returning home from a party. They pulled into their driveway and saw a young male leaving quickly from their front yard. They didn't think much about this, since people are always walking around on Hohman Ave where we live. When they got out of the car they noticed a light on in the side bedroom which was unusual since they usually turn the lights off when they leave to go out. The three of them entered the house and heard a noise in the back bedroom, when my neighbor went to investigate he turned on the light to the bedroom and came face to face with two young males hiding in his closet. The two males got up and ran out of the house, he started to chase them but noticed one of the males had a gun in his hand. Actually both robbers had a gun, the guns we stolen from my neighbors closet. My neighbor was unarmed. Within two minutes there were 5 munster police cars on the seen, 1 unmarked police car, one SUV police car, and an Indiana State trooper car. Lansing Ill also sent two police cars for backup and one was a K9 unit. One robber was captured one block away at the cigarete store, one was captured at Stacks about two blocks away, the third escaped. Great job by the police force, fast and very successful. My neighbor is very lucky that he is still alive. This situation is one reason why I carry 24/7 and also why I don't clear a house without backup.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Big + for LEO, -2 BG's. I like this kind of story. Makes me think gun safe though. I would hate to read of someone shot with their own gun.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    lock that Sh*t up so the bad guys cant get it.

sounds like he knew something wasnt right but he ignored the signs. we all need to trust our gut. even if you have a doubt, call the police!! you pay for them whether you use them or not. Better safe than sorry.
    Im glad they werent hurt, and im glad the bad guys got caught. thanks for sharing the story.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Ummm... Get a safe people?? A nice big man-size gun vault costs as much as 1 gun, but it will keep ALL your guns safe for a lifetime.

This is precisely why I bought mine. I didn't want to come home some day to be staring down the barrel of my own 870...

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    Ummm... Get a safe people?? A nice big man-size gun vault costs as much as 1 gun, but it will keep ALL your guns safe for a lifetime.

This is precisely why I bought mine. I didn't want to come home some day to be staring down the barrel of my own 870...

Exactly!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Glad everything turned out ok. Several mistakes made, starting with not thinking much of someone walking from his yard at night, we need to be vigilant at all times. Can't believe how fast all the cops got there!

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    WOW!! The exact reason why I keep a couple guns im my shop and in various places around my house..... No one knows where but me..... Think I may have to get a bigger safe soon to hold guns after reading this though.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Has this hit the local newspaper either "on paper" or "online" yet?
    +1 for the police! Were the kids young? Race? Gang bangers? That is ALL they stole? So the kids knew there were guns in the house hu?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana

I'm not sure what your idea of a 'nice big man sized gunsafe' is, but most gun owners have one or two guns, heck most here on ingo have 1-2k in guns max.

People are deluding themselves if they think the $100 walmart "safe" or the $250-$500 menards safe is going to do anything but keep their own kids from whats inside them.

The "lockem up" mantra is usually most loudly screamed by those who have a safe that costs as much as a gun and wonder how the robbers got into it in 5 seconds, let alone pound away on a keyboard about having a 'safe'.

Locking up your guns is satisfied, imo, by not laying on the streets. Is it a good idea? Yes, emphatically yes. Deluding yourself or others about the level(s) of protection provided, not so much.

I am curious, how much is that nice big man sized safe and where do you get one? Because I spent quite a bit on one of mine and I'm thinking of getting another big'un. ;)

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Kinda doubting this will hit the local papers. If it does it'll be a few days. Munster pulls the same thing Dyer does, keeps the bad news silent to keep up their false sense of security. I'll keep watch for a news article. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    The robbery occured in the 8200 block of Hohman Ave, one of the stolen guns was recovered, the three robbers were young males one hispanic and two black. One gun is still missing. You can google town of munster and click on the police dept and see the blotter or just click this link and sign up for an email of the munster police dept weekly crime report and most wanted list is also on this site Town of Munster: Service Request Center

<LI class=MsoNormal>BURGLARY, 8200 Block Hohman (5/31, 9:31PM). Homeowner advised that several subjects had just burglarized his residence and that they had fled the scene on foot southbound on Hohman Avenue. An officer located one of the suspects running across the 100 Block of Ridge Road and apprehended him in a nearby parking lot. Charges against the individuals involved are pending.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks Deet for the info. So the question still is how is it that the guys knew there were guns in the house? It appears nothing else was taken other than the guns. Hum...

MrSmithWesson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Munster
    I am Deet's neighbor and I agree alot with that the Munster Police do not show everything that happens in town but if good thing happens they are all over it. The robbery that occurred could have been alot worse but feel very confident in deet and I's block security we have going. In answer to how they knew there were guns in the house we had noticed a couple young guys walking up and down the street possibly casing houses and there is a 55 inch tv very visible on the wall from the street and that could have been that until they came across the guns ransacking the house

I am also sure if the robbery wasn't interrupted alot more would have been taken besides the guns they were able to flee with

Last edited by a moderator:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    At the end of the day I'm glad your OK. That's just North of Ridge Rd, do you think the Hollywood Apts had anything to do with this? That pocket of Munster gets a bad rep because of them and all the rental properties off streets like Gregory and what not.

MrSmithWesson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Munster
    It funny you say that Rolex, I was thinking the same thing but the funny thing is there is an inside joke with the police and everyone that lives around here about this part of munster. We call it the "Hamster" which stands for half Munster and half Hammond because of the crime and rental propeties espically close to the expressway and on manor

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Maybe they were headed to the liquor store or get a taco on the corner!! Not many 8200 houses in that area. Maybe the bank b4 they closed... no that's not it.
    To bad thay didnt take that tacky hocky sculpture a few doors down. LOL

I live south of Ridge off hohman. I'm down that block daily. ( Not on Manor :))

Top Bottom