• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Looking for some suggestions. I'm looking for a summer jacket with armor (??) for someone that rides in hot weather. Inland areas of southern California. It's a CBR600F4I since I assume bike style matters for selections.

Too many options and I don't know what is really any good. Not concerned on price at this point. Just where to focus the search.

Thanks in advance.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Looking for some suggestions. I'm looking for a summer jacket with armor (??) for someone that rides in hot weather. Inland areas of southern California. It's a CBR600F4I since I assume bike style matters for selections.

Too many options and I don't know what is really any good. Not concerned on price at this point. Just where to focus the search.

Thanks in advance.
    I went with the Cortech this spring. Not the coolest in 100* heat but does flow a lot of air.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Rode down to Red Robin for my Brother's free birthday burger. Yeah, it's only 42 miles but it's 42 miles one way on 2 wheels for him and I had 40 miles on 2 wheels and 2mi on 1. He's not into wheelies on his brand new '22 Ducati Monster.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Thanks in advance.
    I spent a lot of time away from home on the bike. I would use a joe rocket mesh jacket with armor and a quality rain jacket that is sized big enough to fit over the joe rocket jacket. That gave me cool comfort and warmth without being too much to carry in the duffel bag. I looked into jackets with zip out liners, but that would have been one more thing to carry. Cross country touring on a sporty bike does not allow a lot of baggage space.

I also have first hand experience with the plastic armor on a joe rocket jacket. I left the bike at 60 mph and spent a long distance on the pavement sliding speed off. Helmet had two grind holes, and the plastic armor on the jacket was ground away in a couple places. That is all places where I would have been bleeding. Sadly, the riding pants were rolled up in the duffel bag. My blue jeans lasted maybe 5 feet and lots of skin was removed from my knees, one thigh and one butt cheek. Have a great ride.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Thanks in advance.
    I've owned quite a few. My favorite is the KLIM Induction Pro. Expensive but CE AA RATING CERTIFIED to EN 17092-3 standards. Top safety certification you can get for street use, AAA rating is for track use. Most jackets that are certified are CE A rated. Some jackets are not certified or use certified armor in an uncertified jacket.

What I like about this jacket is it flows tons of air. More than any other summer mesh jacket of any brand I've ever worn. Even the material that doesn't look like it is perforated actually has micro perforations so you get airflow at the neck, collarbone, shoulders, etc where most other jackets have something like a Cordura fabric. Hard to describe how much more airflow this jacket has than my prior mesh jacket but it is amazing. If you don't like heat, and want a fully 'rated' jacket, this is worth the high price.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Thanks in advance.
    FWIW, if safety is what you are looking for this article explains some of the terms.

Jackets sold in the US do not need any certification and many are not actually RATED for safety, they don't use reinforced stitching, etc. Jackets sold in the European markets need to have a minimum of a CE "A" rating for street use, that is the whole garment, not just the pads. Biggest scam in American moto safety gear is taking a poorly made jacket, inserting CE Level 1 or 2 armor and misleading consumers that the jacket is actually a safety device. Certified is not rated. But if the jacket rating is certified it is the real stuff.

Older article but worth reading:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom