• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Probably why I ride a 40 year old Yamaha with no real desire to get something newer.

I have thought about selling it to get something a little more touring oriented since I don’t really sport ride these days. I guess FJ’s like mine are in demand and I can sell for about 2x what I paid.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    About 15 or so years ago, I bought a 1987 Kaw Ninja 250 for a few hundred bucks. I put a battery, tires and a few other minor things into it and rode the crap out of it. I put factory HD Sportster mufflers on it that made it sound really good.

In 2010, the carb base gaskets started to leak. I pulled the carbs to rebuild them. While they were off, I decided to adjust the valves. I finished one side and realized I had a standard feeler gauge, not a metric one. So I stopped to find one. Took several months and by the time I did find one, life happened.

Fast forward to last fall. The bike had been sitting since 2010 in pieces. We were moving and I asked a coworker if he wanted it for free. He said yep. I received a picture from him last week.

Screenshot_20220626-212536.png

He said he took it for a spin and just loves the thing. 7/8 scale crotch rocket, 6 speed and 28 horse at 10,000 RPM.

It is a bit of an odd ball as that body style was only made in 86 & 87. In 88 they changed it.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    28hp? Does it have Briggs and Stratton in it with a pull rope to start??
    My bike weighs 310lbs wet and makes 125rwhp on the dyno decatted.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    28hp? Does it have Briggs and Stratton in it with a pull rope to start??
    My bike weighs 310lbs wet and makes 125rwhp on the dyno decatted.
    Ha.

No. It's a parallel twin. Electric start only.

IIRC, the wet weight is like 340 or something similar. The thing handled like a scalpel. And with all that power, it almost all throttle all the time. It would do 90 mph.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Very good. My bike is the same set up. Parallel twin also with a radiator. The difference in tech. I've only done 135 on mine with plenty of throttle left.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I saw this last evening & was surprised at the comment.
    It seemed a narrow view of uses of MCs, especially for the older guys, haha!
    To be sure, the bike above is not an example for the younger crowd, but for those who tour must have trunks & bags & that sort of paraphernalia that enhance long term overnight travel on the road.
    Some even tow a small trailer behind them, especially if their wife is with them and/or any overnight camping is involved.
    Online you can find towed trailers that fold out into a camper!
    Amazing!

1656333733558.png
    1656333760669.png
    1656333781319.png
    1656333798376.png
    1656333837755.png
    1656333862039.png
    1656335469645.png

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    To be sure, the bike above is not an example for the younger crowd, but for those who tour must have trunks & bags & that sort of paraphernalia that enhance long term overnight travel on the road.
    Some even tow a small trailer behind them, especially if their wife is with them and/or any overnight camping is involved.
    Amazing!

View attachment 208380
    View attachment 208382
    View attachment 208383
    View attachment 208384
    View attachment 208385
    View attachment 208386
    View attachment 208392
    Strike a nerve? lol.
    Im almost 64, no need for windshields, bags or a trailer when touring. I do the east thing to Md twice a year and at least once to Fl and Mis´ip.. Been doing it a long time, a sissy bar and a backback.

Message_1599864074754.jpg

Dragged this Shovel home last summer.

20210605_122427~2.jpg

Dragged this FX home last summer.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Amazing!

View attachment 208380
    View attachment 208382
    View attachment 208383
    View attachment 208384
    View attachment 208385
    View attachment 208386
    View attachment 208392

Sssshhhhhhhh, let him think he’s all big and tough because he’s not willing to take advantage of modern engineering. :) If he thinks having bags makes you a girly man, he’s clearly never ridden a sport-touring or hyper-touring bike like the Concours14 or that BMW K1600 you posted. ;) With 100ft-lbs of torque, my C14 GOES, and eats up knee-dragging lean angles while doing it. They’re FUN, and you can still bring home some groceries and keep then dry while you’re at it!

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Strike a nerve? lol.
    Im almost 64, no need for windshields, bags or a trailer when touring. I do the east thing to Md twice a year and at least once to Fl and Mis´ip.. Been doing it a long time, a sissy bar and a backback.

View attachment 208426

Dragged this Shovel home last summer.

View attachment 208428

Dragged this FX home last summer.
    That's amazing!
    Obviously, my friends are lazier, ha ha!
    I had a neighbor and a couple of other friends who took their wives for those longer yearly excursions and they didn't get by traveling so light, ha ha!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Sssshhhhhhhh, let him think he’s all big and tough because he’s not willing to take advantage of modern engineering. :) If he thinks having bags makes you a girly man, he’s clearly never ridden a sport-touring or hyper-touring bike like the Concours14 or that BMW K1600 you posted. ;) With 100ft-lbs of torque, my C14 GOES, and eats up knee-dragging lean angles while doing it. They’re FUN, and you can still bring home some groceries and keep then dry while you’re at it!
    LOL... BMW certainly builds some fine motoercycles. Let me know when BMW has the amounts of #1 finishes that HD has.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Troy Courser is that you?

LOL... BMW certainly builds some fine motoercycles. Let me know when BMW has the amounts of #1 finishes that HD has.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Troy Courser is that you?

I’m glad you saw the friendly jab in my post rather than an attack. I didn’t realize until re-reading it just now that it could have been taken the wrong way!

Yeah, HD’s got a long history, with a good bit of it in racing. Honestly, I’d love to own one of their “sportier” models some day (the XR1200 and VR1000 would be a lot of fun!), and they have guys doing some CRAZY full-on racing stuff on baggers these days. As long as someone’s on two wheels, they’re good in my book!

And as an aside, I’ve never been a light packer on trips. Sue me, haha.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I heard there are some great deals to be had at their swap meet they hold annually during the race. My buddy got his current Beamer m/c a couple years ago at a phenomenal price.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I heard there are some great deals to be had at their swap meet they hold annually during the race. My buddy got his current Beamer m/c a couple years ago at a phenomenal price.
    I walked by it and took a good look, the owner said 5,200 and I laughed.
    On the way back I offered $4,000 cash delivered to my house 25 min south.
    2 hours later it was in my garage. I need it like a hole in the head.
    Now thinking this guy had a trailer full and he was out of Cincy.
    I probability paid 500.00 to much, but I had been looking for a 78 for awhile.

Top Bottom