• ...and so much more!
  • semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Accident was right at US30 interchange
    I work at ABF right there. I ride my bike often and it is an adventure some times. Going home is terrible. The ramp from 30 onto 394 south is terrible with part of the ramp shared with people getting off 394 and traffic in the right lane not moving over to the left lane to give some room.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I drive the southern strip of the road occasionally but have never ridden it north of Sauk Trail, generally I stay off of it. I'm on Rt 1 south of there a couple days each week, but when it splits off and 394 starts I tend to avoid the crazy crap that happens on 394.

Apparently they closed 394 NORTH-bound traffic at Steger road and diverted traffic. I can't find other details.

Last edited:

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I work at ABF right there. I ride my bike often and it is an adventure some times. Going home is terrible. The ramp from 30 onto 394 south is terrible with part of the ramp shared with people getting off 394 and traffic in the right lane not moving over to the left lane to give some room.
    I'm with you on that one. I take Sauk Trail to get from Indiana over to 394. The southbound 394 entrance ramp from 30 is bad. You can either get run over from behind or crash into someone slowing in front of you if your head is not on a swivel.

If you want to avoid that mess, you could take Torrence south to Sauk Trail.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    One of the articles written about my accident made a very slight implication that I was at fault just with the way it was written, but another more strongly implied the cager was at fault(aka the truth)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    For no logical reason I want to buy a new helmet. My Arai is a top of the line model, Defiant Pro-Shield, hard to find a better, more comfortable or safer helmet. But I think I want a modular flip up helmet. Anyone have a Schuberth E1? Or a Schuberth C3 Pro? The E1 and C3 use the same shell, but the E1 has more airflow due to a different chin bar and much larger vent. I like airflow!

C3 is now discontinued and replaced by the C4. I think the E1 will likely be replaced by a new E2 model so E1 models may be discounted soon???

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    For no logical reason I want to buy a new helmet. My Arai is a top of the line model, Defiant Pro-Shield, hard to find a better, more comfortable or safer helmet. But I think I want a modular flip up helmet. Anyone have a Schuberth E1? Or a Schuberth C3 Pro? The E1 and C3 use the same shell, but the E1 has more airflow due to a different chin bar and much larger vent. I like airflow!
    C3 is now discontinued and replaced by the C4. I think the E1 will likely be replaced by a new E2 model so E1 models may be discounted soon???

This is a concern.

Safety Certification:​

• DOT (as of Spring 2018, USA is no longer importing ECE rated E1 Helmets)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    This is a concern.

Safety Certification:​

DOT helmets are known to be fatal.

ECE helmets are far safer. The Schubert E1 passes BOTH tests. So a Schubert E1 with an ECE sticker on it, versus a Schubert E1 with a DOT sticker on it is the exact same helmet with a different sticker. Many helmets are not like that. I do not trust a DOT helmet. The standard was out of date in the 1970's and has not actually been updated for safety.

I can get an ECE 22-05 stickered Schubert E1 and ride anywhere in North America, legally. However an identical Schubert E1 with a DOT stickered Schubert E1 may not be legal in all North American jurisdictions.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Once you go with a modular, that has an integrated sun visor, you will never go back...

...and Mrs melensdad will have to have one soon. Just a warning. ;)

airhog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Lafayette
    DOT helmets are known to be fatal.

ECE helmets are far safer. The Schubert E1 passes BOTH tests. So a Schubert E1 with an ECE sticker on it, versus a Schubert E1 with a DOT sticker on it is the exact same helmet with a different sticker. Many helmets are not like that. I do not trust a DOT helmet. The standard was out of date in the 1970's and has not actually been updated for safety.

I can get an ECE 22-05 stickered Schubert E1 and ride anywhere in North America, legally. However an identical Schubert E1 with a DOT stickered Schubert E1 may not be legal in all North American jurisdictions.

I would take helmet rating comparisons with a grain of salt. As far as I know, there has been no study showing that ECE helmets reduce head injury or fatality rate in real-world motorcycle accidents compared to DOT helmets. A lot of factors such as fitment, full vs. half face, or modular, is likely to have a far greater impact.

A recent controversy involving Snell (viewed by some as the gold standard)

Snell Relaxed Its Motorcycle Helmet Standards And Now The Rating Is Meaningless (jalopnik.com)

illustrates that standards and safety ratings are not black and white. All else being equal I prefer ECE rated helmets myself, but other factors such as fitment, comfort, features, and ventilation trump when deciding what to buy.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I would take helmet rating comparisons with a grain of salt. As far as I know, there has been no study showing that ECE helmets reduce head injury or fatality rate in real-world motorcycle accidents compared to DOT helmets. A lot of factors such as fitment, full vs. half face, or modular, is likely to have a far greater impact.

A recent controversy involving Snell (viewed by some as the gold standard)

Snell Relaxed Its Motorcycle Helmet Standards And Now The Rating Is Meaningless (jalopnik.com)

illustrates that standards and safety ratings are not black and white. All else being equal I prefer ECE rated helmets myself, but other factors such as fitment, comfort, features, and ventilation trump when deciding what to buy.
    I would agree with you on the point that there is little proof.

However, there is a lot of information that shows that many DOT helmets are not tested at all. Ever. Huge numbers of them are also counterfeited and can be destroyed by even minor impacts.

A cheap DOT full face is far more protective that a DOT brain pot, largely because most injuries to the head involve hitting areas of the head that are not covered by the little brain bucket helmets. But also most of the "DOT" brain pots actually don't meet the minimal standards for DOT at all. And the stickers are easily purchased at flea markets, eBay, etc.

The ECE helmets make it legal for me to ride in all areas of the Americas, the DOT helmets do not. And we ride outside of the USA so I'd rather have an ECE. The newest ECE 22-06 is the gold standard but there are only a few helmets that currently meet that standard, which goes into effect in 2024. The story you linked is essentially written for most future helmet. ECE 22-05 and SNELL 2015 are pretty equivalent. FIM is the race standard, a tiny fraction of street helmets meet this standard.

I tend to buy higher end helmets for a few reasons. First, they are a hell of a lot more comfortable than mid-priced or cheap helmets. The fabrics are anti-bacterial fabrics, they utilize cooling/wicking fabrics that reduce sweating, they have far better airflow, the controls are more robust and less prone to breakage during simple use, etc.

My wife rides with a mid-grade HJC full face, DOT approved. She also has a mid-grade HJC 3/4 that is SNELL approved. She picked them. I offered her Arai and any other brand. Visor control on the full face broke off after 1 year. Air flow is a frequent complaint. Sweating against the fabric is a frequent complaint. Pressure points are a frequent complaint. Yet it was actually a HJC regional salesman who personally fitted her helmet for comfort. Perhaps she should have chosen a high end HJC? Perhaps she should have chosen a Shoei? Arai? Schuberth?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Once you go with a modular, that has an integrated sun visor, you will never go back...

...and Mrs melensdad will have to have one soon. Just a warning. ;)
    Yep. I cheaped out at first with an HJC modular, it never fit right and was kind of loud and heavy.

last year I sprung for the Shoei Neotec 2 and have had zero regrets. The Shoei with the Sena 50s attached makes it a north of $1000 helmet, but we’ll worth it. If you already have the Arai, you’re obviously not afraid to pay for quality.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My Shoei feels like someone is trying to crush my head with an avalanche of cotton balls compared to my Bell.
    It's my understanding that, like shoe brands, helmet brands can vary quite a bit as far as their sizing?

I started with an Aria in large size. Since then an Icon and Scorpion in extra large size have me better suited. Actually the extra large Scorpion modular is pretty tight unless mounted with the modular face opened.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Won't you have to purchase if from somewhere other than the USA ?
    From this statement I don't know it the US models will have the ECE sticker. That is my concern. The helmet I would have no issue with. I've heard nothing but good about the brand.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    It's my understanding that, like shoe brands, helmet brands can vary quite a bit as far as their sizing?

I started with an Aria in large size. Since then an Icon and Scorpion in extra large size have me better suited. Actually the extra large Scorpion modular is pretty tight unless mounted with the modular face opened.
    If you look at a brand like Arai, they make several different models for different head shapes. Someone who fits an Arai Defiant will not fit into an Arai Corsair. Their lower priced Regent is similar to the Defiant shape, but uses slightly lower grade materials, so those 2 helmets may be 'interchangeable' for people who fit one, they should fit the other. But they won't fit the other models (and visa versa).

Look at the sizing chart AND the head-shape chart for each brand. A size LARGE in one style, from the same brand, is not equal to the same size in a different style, if you have an intermediate oval head you don't want a helmet for a more round head. Obviously bands vary within their line up and between brands. This is why there are actually sizing calculators for helmets.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Won't you have to purchase if from somewhere other than the USA ?
    From this statement I don't know it the US models will have the ECE sticker. That is my concern. The helmet I would have no issue with. I've heard nothing but good about the brand.
    Yes, I recommend Spain. They have the best prices in the EU. Typically you can buy moto-gear, ship it over from Spain, and save 10 to 30% over the costs from American sources. The fact that I go to Spain semi-regularly makes it easier for me, but mail order works and suppliers in Spain ship to the US regularly.

I have no concern with an ECE 22-05 sticker in the USA. It is a higher standard. It is recognized in more jurisdictions in the Americas than the DOT sticker.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Yes, I recommend Spain. They have the best prices in the EU. Typically you can buy moto-gear, ship it over from Spain, and save 10 to 30% over the costs from American sources. The fact that I go to Spain semi-regularly makes it easier for me, but mail order works and suppliers in Spain ship to the US regularly.

I have no concern with an ECE 22-05 sticker in the USA. It is a higher standard. It is recognized in more jurisdictions in the Americas than the DOT sticker.
    That's good info. Could you post a few suppliers for future use?

Top Bottom