• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I noticed today that the "t-shirt and sunglasses" crowd has started riding their V-twins...

No clue as to what protection she was wearing, but it's better to sweat than bleed; or die.

https://www.wane.com/traffic/motorcyclist-killed-in-crash-near-jefferson-pointe/

I have armored mesh riding gear for hot/humid riding. Leather on the impact points, with CE Level 2 armor, but big mesh panels to let the air flow through. There is protective gear for riding comfortably in every type of weather.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    My dad wears a helmet and a non riding jacket at times but that is it. Said he would consider riding gear if going on long trips. Said he wore shorts the other day. Years ago I was riding a borrowed bike and laid it down (minimal damage and I had helped pay for some things on the bike already to be able to ride it). I was wearing just jeans and still got a skinned knee as it was only a low speed lay down. When I got my own bike, I got good gear that way I can ride in cooler weather (with the liners in) or hot weather without liners.

these are similar to the pants I wear over my jeans or shorts.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-rover-air-overpants

This is very similar to my jacket I wear.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-rush-air-hi-viz-jacket

I also have a high viz vest for a motorcycle association I’m in I wear over the jacket if I remember. Of course helmet and gloves. I have boots but they are wearing out. I will have to replace them in the next year or so. I prefer to be sore over skin grafs if something was to happen.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I've been enjoying riding my new V-Twin but never with t-shirt and sunglasses. Full face helmet ,gloves ,boots and at least long jeans and textile armored jacket. Doing a few small mods and loving the bike so far.
    New clear signal lens. I like em a lot :rockwoot:

front clear.jpg ftamber.jpg rear clear.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Gear does NOT take the place of riding skills.

The simplest of skills is knowing where you will go should someone pull out or stop in front of you. What is your panic braking distance? Can you ride around the threat vs freeze on the brakes?

How much parking lot practice do you put in? Lately?

Yeah, I know. We are men, so we were born knowing how to...

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

The simplest of skills is knowing where you will go should someone pull out or stop in front of you. What is your panic braking distance? Can you ride around the threat vs freeze on the brakes?

Yeah, I know. We are men, so we were born knowing how to...

Yes, one of the first things to do on a new bike is learn the stopping distance. This Fury needs several more feet to haul down than my RC-51. I can actually brake harder on the Fury without lock-up but it needs a little more distance. :rockwoot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The Death of Harley-Davidson.

Well worth watching. He makes some interesting points.

And shortly after this video was released the new president of H-D opted to delay the release of 2 upcoming models that are aimed to bring other types of bikers into the H-D fold. Delaying the Bronx & the PanAmerica models keep H-D firmly planted in the declining large displacement cruiser market segment. Meanwhile the PanAmerica, which is an Adventure-Touring bike, would have opened H-D up to a growing market.

[video=youtube;EOwxxsPaogY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwxxsPaogY&feature=youtu.be&utm_source=sendinblue&utm_campaign=Moto_Intel_Report__May_26_2020&utm_medium=email[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have armored mesh riding gear for hot/humid riding. Leather on the impact points, with CE Level 2 armor, but big mesh panels to let the air flow through. There is protective gear for riding comfortably in every type of weather.

I bought that new waxed cotton jacket... I wore it today, but probably going to wear the mesh one for the rest of the season. Shame, because it looks hip.

"not enough".

On the ride to work today I was thinking about how to handle that situation (there was another in FtW this weekend). It seems to me acting time is critical - whatever you do, do it fast. And expect the cager to freeze when they realize what's happening.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

And shortly after this video was released the new president of H-D opted to delay the release of 2 upcoming models that are aimed to bring other types of bikers into the H-D fold. Delaying the Bronx & the PanAmerica models keep H-D firmly planted in the declining large displacement cruiser market segment. Meanwhile the PanAmerica, which is an Adventure-Touring bike, would have opened H-D up to a growing market.

I don't see how Harvey Danielson can do anything different. They've invested so much in the branding, that they've become a branding company that happens to also sell motorcycles.

I see their logo way more than their bikes. From the outside, I think more money is spend on merchandise and accessories than the bike. And if they start getting "wussy" by their standards, they risk ruining that image. And there's no way in heck that I'm every buying an HD, because I don't want to be part of what I see as a clique of poseurs.*

So just coming up with a smaller bike, but still with HD DNA doesn't impress anyone, but it creates a bike that's viewed as a "girl's Harley". They're just going to get crushed by the midsized (~750cc) retro bikes of their competitors in that market.

The only out I see is to buy another brand and accept that the HD brand of bike with decrease. Just make money on HD logos on F150s.

* As a scooter rider, me and the HD crowd are worlds apart.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Say what you want about us millennials but we read reviews, research, and try to get the most bang for our buck, and Harley just ain't it.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I don't see how Harvey Danielson can do anything different. They've invested so much in the branding, that they've become a branding company that happens to also sell motorcycles.

I see their logo way more than their bikes. From the outside, I think more money is spend on merchandise and accessories than the bike. And if they start getting "wussy" by their standards, they risk ruining that image. And there's no way in heck that I'm every buying an HD, because I don't want to be part of what I see as a clique of poseurs.*

So just coming up with a smaller bike, but still with HD DNA doesn't impress anyone, but it creates a bike that's viewed as a "girl's Harley". They're just going to get crushed by the midsized (~750cc) retro bikes of their competitors in that market.

The only out I see is to buy another brand and accept that the HD brand of bike with decrease. Just make money on HD logos on F150s.

* As a scooter rider, me and the HD crowd are worlds apart.

Say what you want about us millennials but we read reviews, research, and try to get the most bang for our buck, and Harley just ain't it.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. I inherited a HD Road King when my father-in-law passed away, and had it serviced at a HD dealership, as it had sat, unridden, for about two years.

That has started a barrage of advertisements and solicitations for all manner of HD products, especially apparel.

There is a core group of Harley fans, and Mrs. MarkC's parents were among them. People my age and older appear to be their most supportive demographic.

They were trying to expand their appeal, including developing an electric motorcycle and some smaller offerings. However, with the other manufacturers dominating the sport bike market, I'm not sure what they can do at this point.

(I do recognize that I'm not a marketing expert, just what I think I'm seeing out there."

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Be careful out there folks!

Former Rep. Allen West Injured in Motorcycle Crash After Texas Reopening Rally

Col West got run over because he emergency braked beyond the riding abilities of the rider behind him. That didn't have to happen.

We come way too close to losing a patriot here.

https://twitter.com/AllenWest

Allen-W-crash-5-26-20.png

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It's hard to beat the power, comfort, and safety of my hand built CVO Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic. Lots of luggage space, heated seats and grips, dual crash bars. A long ride that doesn't hurt your back and kidneys, or make your arms freeze.

But it's not for everyone. :cool:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

[video=youtube;EOwxxsPaogY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwxxsPaogY&feature=youtu.be&utm_source=sendinblue&utm_campaign=Moto_Intel_Report__May_26_2020&utm_medium=email[/video]

They could have had a large sport bike market share if they would have not ruined Buell. Dumbasses in charge apparently.

Top Bottom