• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oDbCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 18, 2016
    Franklin/Greenwood
    I have been doing some research into survival rifles in the event of a government collapse, global war, ect. I have been very interested in the MVP rifles in 5.56. The ammunition should be very available and it accepts AR mags. May be better than an AR in this situation (less parts, less to go wrong). From what I have read, they seem to have decent accuracy. Not sure about long term reliability. No one seems to be testing these extensively. What are your thoughts?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    All depends on what the SHTF/WROL situation is. You want accuracy, reliability, capacity. There's nothing a bolt/lever/single shot action can do that a semi auto can't, but there's plenty a semi auto can do that the others can't. Personally, when east of the Mississippi I say AR-15, or AK-47. For west of the Mississippi I'd say M1a or similar semi auto 308.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Number of parts and parts availability are both factors of keeping something running.

While fewer parts does generally correlate with less to go wrong, if something does go wrong, then parts availability kicks in.

Tough call.

AR parts practically grow on trees compared to parts availability for the MVP, but I could understand someone going with an MVP and stocking critical spare parts.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Spare parts is a big deal. Within the last week I took a brand new assembled rifle to the range. Didn't even make it through a 20 round magazine and had jams almost every round. The extractor on my bolt carrier group had snapped off. For $10 I can buy the best extractor money can buy and get that part at probably two or three places I can think of off hand right now. What's the parts and availability for a Mossberg MVP by comparison? Just saying......

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    What's the "mission"? You said WROL which to me, implies defense from lawless groups. I think a semi-auto beats a bolt gun hands down for that. If you're talking about a more generalized purpose, maybe subsistance hunting at your bug-out cabin after TEOTWAWKI, then durability and parts availability become primary concerns IMO

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    in 5.56. The ammunition should be very available
    If the ammo is available, wouldn't replacement parts for the AR be available too?

Less parts = less stuff to fail is one school of thought but crunching the numbers on the possibility of your AR failing and the amount of parts available to fix it versus the possibility your MVP will keep running for longer is one of those mathematical deals that should have a pretty easy to ballpark result. You'll be crunching tens of millions against a few thousand.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I have not heard real good things on reliability and accuracy on these. I love the concept, but I am not sure they are ready for prime time just yet.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Mossberg is hit and miss on rifles. I believe they make a decent gun for the money. I did recieve a Mossberg patriot with the stock missing a big chunk of its forend. The box was in perfect shape when it arrived. So it had to be that way when packaged. So QC is lacking at times.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    AR parts practically grow on trees compared to parts availability for the MVP, but I could understand someone going with an MVP and stocking critical spare parts.

For $10 I can buy the best extractor money can buy and get that part at probably two or three places I can think of off hand right now. What's the parts and availability for a Mossberg MVP by comparison? Just saying......

I think the OP is saying and it can't be argued - that parts are not a problem in our current situation. In the event of a SHTF / WROL situation one will not necessarily be able to hit SUBMIT on your Brownells order or trip on down to the local range / gunsmith and get a part.

One would imagine that if your serious about "prepping" that you will spend some of your prepping funds on spare parts for your preferred long gun to have on hand in the event you do find yourself in such a situation where its not viable to simply "go to the store" or wait for UPS delivery.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think the OP is saying and it can't be argued - that parts are not a problem in our current situation. In the event of a SHTF / WROL situation one will not necessarily be able to hit SUBMIT on your Brownells order or trip on down to the local range / gunsmith and get a part.

One would imagine that if your serious about "prepping" that you will spend some of your prepping funds on spare parts for your preferred long gun to have on hand in the event you do find yourself in such a situation where its not viable to simply "go to the store" or wait for UPS delivery.

That's the way I understood it as well. I was not suggesting that if the poo hit the fan that we'd be able to get our parts delivered through amazon prime from our phone. My point in particular was that if something went wrong I can think of 2 or 3 physical places I could go to right now and pick up about any part I would need for an AR, but I can't think of one place to go get a spare part for a Mossberg MVP. Likewise, I can think of many guys that live locally who'd be willing to barter a spare part for something I may have that's of value to them. That alone doesn't mean one is better or worse than the other. What that means is that when it comes time to acquire spare parts like it or not it's a popularity contest. Not picking on the Mossberg mvp, but as an example replace that rifle with a Ruger American, Savage scout, Winchester pre-'64 featherweight, or a Cooper custom. I agree whole heartedly that we should have all the spare parts we'd ever need right now. I call those parts collections, another rifle.

Realistically though, and let's be honest here. Nobody is buying every spare part they'd need for a Mossberg mvp thinking for long term SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, whatever. What they're doing is buying a cheap bolt action because it's cute and takes AR-15 mags. Go to brownells or midway and type in Mossberg mvp and see what parts come up for sale. I didn't find anything other than a scope mount. I'm not saying it or any other less popular rifle isn't a fine gun. All I'm saying is Murphy Laws come into play and parts break at the worst possible time. I'm happy for people doing whatever they want. For me and mine, I've chosen the AR/AK families because they are everywhere.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    What you really should be doing is committing to a platform, and buying 3-4 of whatever that is. If it's the Mossberg MVP, you should have 3-4 of them. That means when one breaks, it is now a parts gun to supplement the others when they break parts. And stock common tune up / wear parts for that platform as well. I don't know if you can even get extra bolts, springs, etc... for the Mossberg MVP. But I do know you can easily buy that stuff and stock it for an AR.

I go with AR's because I can completely take them apart with a punch and screwdriver if needed. I have a few, and parts are interchangeable. So if one goes down, I use the remainder of those parts in that broken gun to supplement the others. And buying spare parts is cheap and easy with the AR platform. An extra BCG, spring and pin kit, and you'd be good to go for a long long time.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Current times or WROL, relative parts availability would remain directly related I would think.

Normal times:
    AR parts - grow on trees.
    MVP parts - proprietary and from limited sources.

WROL:
    AR parts - could probably still find some since there are a bazillion out there, battlefield pickups, etc.
    MVP parts - good luck.

Wise preps in any case involve stocking of critical spare parts ahead of time.

Top Bottom