• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I shot mine today....a friend of mine(unbeknownst to me) was most of the way down the firing line. He called it a 'heart attack maker'. Thing sounds like a elephant gun going off to others. I fired 5 rounds as quick as I could work the bolt and get on target for the last run and I have regretted it ever since. My shoulder still hurts.

I have a 1923 Hex Receiver one. Very good shape...but not the barrel. I neglected to look it over close enough. I paid 90 bucks for it back when they first started becoming popular...so I'm not out much.

1943Izzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Liberty
    Try to find one with matching numbers ( not renumbered to match ) on the receiver and the bolt . Also one that is not counter bored.

SK 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    NWI
    My girlfriend must have took a hint from what I was saying because when I came home I found a new rifle in my rack. 1939 numbers matching, I'm going to do a little more research on it....spent most of the night scrubbing cosmoline out if it, but I'm hoping it will be well worth it.

MadTownGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    I've had an M44 carbine and the 91/30. Its a great budget gun with lots of power. The right person behind the trigger can get good groups at long distances, however if you are looking for sharp shooting, I wouldn't go with a Mosin. The technology just isnt there. You cant beat the Mosin price tho. For $100 you have a rifle, oar, tent post, 2ft screw driver, and a whipping stick.

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    My girlfriend must have took a hint from what I was saying because when I came home I found a new rifle in my rack. 1939 numbers matching, I'm going to do a little more research on it....spent most of the night scrubbing cosmoline out if it, but I'm hoping it will be well worth it.

Congratulations! I had good luck by wrapping my gun with rags, putting it in a black trash bag and leaving it in the sun for a couple of hours. The rags absorbed quite a bit but not all. I then put the gun back in the bag the next day without the rags and after another couple of hours, I removed it and wiped it down again. The barrel and bolt were easier as they were metal.

Noob suggestion.... pay attention to the bolt when it comes out. I had a heck of a time getting it back to the way it needed to be to get it back in the gun. Good luck.

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Bought a 91/30, a year later bought an M44.

I love both of mine, 7.62x54r is the only rifle caliber that I stock. Eventually I'll get a semi auto in either 7.62x39 or .223 but even then I'm never getting rid of my mosins. M44 will make a great truck gun when I get my own property.

My 91/30 is officially an entitled asset to my future children.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Be very particular if you want a shooter. As with most milsurp rifles, a lot of Mosins have seen better days. Bore condition. Bore condition. BORE CONDITION!!!!! Don't just pick up the first one you see and expect it to be a bench rifle. Good Mosin bores are out there!! Mirror bore, chamber not eroded, sharp lands!! Tough to find in a Soviet 91/30 refurb. Easier to find in a Finnish Mosin like a M39 or a Tikka 91/30 - but much more expensive. Worth you wait and trouble if you want 1-2MOA from a Mosin. Forget the carbines unless you just want to make noise. Good luck in your quest.
    this right here. remember good ammo is paramount to accuracy, my mosins seem to like heaver bullets and come alive with match ammo from hordnay. my mosins are plenty accurate for 400 to 500 hundred yard shots on deer(i would never do that though) and probably farther in a better shooters hands. mine can do this when the bore is cold.
    picture.php
    your results will very with ammo, temperature out side and your shooting that day of coarse, now it won't do this when it gets warm from firing it opens up. this was shot with 174gr hornady match at 100 yards.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Freedom, Indiana
    If price is a strong reason for looking at the Mosin, the price of ammo ought to make it even more attractive. $89.00 plus shipping for 440 rounds is impressive to me, aside from the accuracy (or lack of) notes above.
    As for the kick, I put the ATI stock on mine. It absolutely made a new lady of her.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I shot mine today....a friend of mine(unbeknownst to me) was most of the way down the firing line. He called it a 'heart attack maker'. Thing sounds like a elephant gun going off to others. I fired 5 rounds as quick as I could work the bolt and get on target for the last run and I have regretted it ever since. My shoulder still hurts.

I have a 1923 Hex Receiver one. Very good shape...but not the barrel. I neglected to look it over close enough. I paid 90 bucks for it back when they first started becoming popular...so I'm not out much.
    My shoulder more than hurt, it was black and blue. I had not fired a rifle with punch to it for more than 40 years. I took 2 12ga. shotguns, an SKS and the Mosin to the range. The SKS was way more accurate then the Mosin, but yeah they sound awesome when fired. I may not take all four to the range at the same time again though. :)

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I love my Mosins. I only have seven (7) or eight (8) of them.

However, they are NOT for sharpshooting by any stretch.

They are the rifle you make and give to an illiterate, untrained peasant army to put in the field with some firepower. And I am NOT being vague, I am being literal. Lest we not forget that Mosins were designed in 1891 under the Czars to equip peasants. All subsequent derivations of the Mosin line are based upon this initial foundation.

There are exceptions. The Finnish versions had much improved accuracy and many of these models could do excellently in target shooting.

Some better rifles would be a Schmidt-Rubin K-31 or a Springfield M1903. The Schmidt would be lower in price and very accurate.

I love my Mosins! They make a heck of a fireball with the right ammo and can kick pretty good, but tack drivers they are not (mostly.) There are always exceptions.

Good luck in your hunt.

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    My son and I have several Mosins - 8 - 10 (I think). They are as rugged a rifle as you can get. All shoot well, non are tack drivers. However they are probably all 2 MOA. All were arsenal refinished Russian - think I have one 1891 model - rest are 91/30s. I also have an SVD-40 in the same caliber.

Only real complaint I have is that the stock is a little short to fit me and with the steel butt plate really can bruise the shoulder! I did install an aftermarket rubber butt plate on one or two, fits a lot better and no bruise.

Don't think you can beat them for the price. They go boom every time with the real cheap surplus ammo and are plenty accurate and fun for plinking. No, they don't shoot near as accurate as my Mausers, K-31, US and English Enfields or Garands, but still a blast and quite a bit cheaper to shoot!

Top Bottom