• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, after my range time today, indeed my Mosin shoots high, as most seem to do.

I've searched around online and come up with several options... And one simple one that no one seems to have mentioned anywhere...

- Adjustable front, made by Josh Smith here I believe...

- Replace front with a dovetail ramp (drill and tap barrel, calculate height, etc.) and globe front sight... (Mosin base is too small for a 3/8 dovetail cut), meaning either cut and recrown the barrel in the process, or heat the barrel to get front base off, or cut/grind/polish front base off...

- Or... Why doesn't anyone file the notch in the rear sight deeper? I've never seen this mentioned... Is there a reason? Seems like instead on raising the front sight, you could deepen the notch in the rear sight with one of the edge cut rectangular needle files, touch-up blue it to match, and be good to go... Do-able? :dunno:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    No, the bayonet won't make it drop like that. In fact I have found that most of the bayonets that come with the rifles are real tight...even when the serial numbers match.
    If your barrel was cut down to 18 inches I could tell you what front sight and ramp to use. Simply because the front sight ramp I use is for a barrel diameter of .687 and the Mosin barrel is tapered and is a lot smaller in diameter when it is at it's full length.

picture.php

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    One other way to do it cheaply, is to find a piece of plastic tubing that would fit snugly over the front sight pin and be a little longer. Guys sell them on E-bay.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello DarkRose,

When developing a solution to the problem, I did try what you suggest.

I found it uncomfortable. In addition to deepening the notch, you must also file the top of the rear sight down a bit at a time. After a bit, you're smashing your face against the stock trying to get a sight picture.

Another option is to file the elevator on the rear sight, but it basically accomplishes the same thing as does filing the sight itself.

Some people I know prefer the height of the rear sight to be equal to the 200 to 500 meter setting, and messing with the already-low rear sight would only mess with their comfort more.

Josh

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    No, the bayonet won't make it drop like that. In fact I have found that most of the bayonets that come with the rifles are real tight...even when the serial numbers match.
    If your barrel was cut down to 18 inches I could tell you what front sight and ramp to use. Simply because the front sight ramp I use is for a barrel diameter of .687 and the Mosin barrel is tapered and is a lot smaller in diameter when it is at it's full length.

picture.php

Yeah, I looked at a Marble's dovetail ramp for a .625 barrel and measured mine. I'm about .585" at the muzzle, and about .600" diameter two inches back from that... But since I don't have the equipment yet to re-crown, probably not going to shorten it just yet...

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Midwayusa has a video on recrowning your barrel with just a file. This is how I did it on the rifle that shot the target above. Since then I either cut a 11 degree crown in a lathe or use my chamfer cutting tool I bought from Midway.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Midwayusa has a video on recrowning your barrel with just a file. This is how I did it on the rifle that shot the target above. Since then I either cut a 11 degree crown in a lathe or use my chamfer cutting tool I bought from Midway.

I'm going to hold out and try to get the Manson kit from Brownells, seen a few YouTube videos of it and it looks like the berries to me...

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Something I read somewhere would be a small piece of heat shrink tubing. You can get different colors.. shrink a small bit onto the front sight and nibble off bits until its just right.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I done as mammynun did but found a cheap ink pen lying around that had a white ink tube inside. Harder plastic you can file and it's white. In theory you could mill the rear sight ramp down some and get it to shoot lower but it's very hard steel and why change the gun's "originality". The white tube works, is cheap, and can be taken off any time.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I just get some brass tubing from hobby store with ID about that of the front sight, cut approximate length, fill with Gorilla glue and slip on from the top to attach. At the range you can take a small flat file (also from hobby store) and adjust height and even file sides for slight windage adjustment. Most of my MN 91/30 rifles are OK with just some KY windage but some are really off, but not as bad as pre-WWI rifles.:patriot:

Top Bottom