• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    For whatever reason, I just nearly cannot see them. EVER!

How about those who are knowledgeable, tell where they know to look for them. I`ve heard around fallen Elms. Is it just Elms? Are there other trees that if down should be checked? Is it ANY fallen tree? Where else?
    Briar patches always produced well for us. You need to get down on your hands and knees to really spot them but that system works well every where too. You will be amazed how many you overlook by staying upright. Don’t overlook hunting from creek beds looking up the hillsides. The closer you can get to their level the more you will find. Look for may apples they like to hide around them. 1619716410960.jpeg
    Just about any tree with sluffing off bark seems to produce. Elm just seem to be them most found dead tree in the woods but I’m thinking ash are taking the # 1 spot now. My theory is all rougher bark trees will produce shrooms sooner or later. I think the rough bark catch the Spores and are released when the bark slides off. Have fun and let someone know where you are hunting just in case.

P.S. don’t forget your walking stick so you can move the leaves and sticks around for a better look see. Once you find that shroom drive that stick in the ground by the mushroom and hunt the heck out of the area and the stick assures that you don’t loose that first one. I’m sure more mushrooms have been passed by than ever found.

P.S.S. Almost forgot the most important thing take take kids with you. They won’t find many on their own at first that’s why when you find one you have howl like an old hound treeing a young coon leaving the stick by it. The kids will come running like their britches are on fire giggling the whole way!

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Briar patches always produced well for us. You need to get down on your hands and knees to really spot them but that system works well every where too. You will be amazed how many you overlook by staying upright. Don’t overlook hunting from creek beds looking up the hillsides. The closer you can get to their level the more you will find. Look for may apples they like to hide around them. View attachment 137740
    Just about any tree with sluffing off bark seems to produce. Elm just seem to be them most found dead tree in the woods but I’m thinking ash are taking the # 1 spot now. My theory is all rougher bark trees will produce shrooms sooner or later. I think the rough bark catch the Spores and are released when the bark slides off. Have fun and let someone know where you are hunting just in case.

P.S. don’t forget your walking stick so you can move the leaves and sticks around for a better look see. Once you find that shroom drive that stick in the ground by the mushroom and hunt the heck out of the area and the stick assures that you don’t loose that first one. I’m sure more mushrooms have been passed by than ever found.

P.S.S. Almost forgot the most important thing take take kids with you. They won’t find many on their own at first that’s why when you find one you have howl like an old hound treeing a young coon leaving the stick by it. The kids will come running like their britches are on fire giggling the whole way!
    Thank you for a great, informative, and FUN post!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    For whatever reason, I just nearly cannot see them. EVER!

How about those who are knowledgeable, tell where they know to look for them. I`ve heard around fallen Elms. Is it just Elms? Are there other trees that if down should be checked? Is it ANY fallen tree? Where else?
    We find lots of yellows around sycamore trees

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Briar patches always produced well for us. You need to get down on your hands and knees to really spot them but that system works well every where too. You will be amazed how many you overlook by staying upright. Don’t overlook hunting from creek beds looking up the hillsides. The closer you can get to their level the more you will find. Look for may apples they like to hide around them. View attachment 137740

Walking sticks are alright, and gently moving stuff is OK, but don't rake the ground.
    Not only do you mess up a spot, but you also let everyone know where you're finding mushrooms

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I hit a spot that produces late and i was a couple days late. 2/3 of what i found were laid over and flat or still standing but smoked.

Attachments

• KIMG1203.JPG
      KIMG1203.JPG
      64.5 KB · Views: 19

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I`ve been told that once the Apple Blossom and Redbud trees lose their color and blossoms, the morels are done. Is there much truth to this?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I`ve been told that once the Apple Blossom and Redbud trees lose their color and blossoms, the morels are done. Is there much truth to this?

Generally that's accurate, but this year has been strange. As you get more green on the forest floor they get harder to see as well.

Top Bottom