• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Go! We went 2 weeks ago and were skeptical but found enough for a meal. Then found more the following weekend.

You guys should look around for Chanterelles in late June or July. A number of good pasts dishes use those and can be found on the internet.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I checked really quickly at a spot I`ve found a few before. Nothing. I`m awful at even knowing where to look for them, and, awful at seeing them even if they`re there. I just check around fallen trees, and the place I looked today is a spot a buddy and his wife have found them before. I love eating them of course, and they`re exciting to find, but I don`t do very well at it.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    My adjoining property owner is just cleaning up right now . The last 2 days he's found over 650 !! They did well over a 1,000 last year !
    We go out and find 20 or so here there , but nothing like his place .

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I prepped a mess last night. They're in the refrigerator, awaiting breading (Ritz crackers), and will be lovingly fried tonight !

MUSH5-L.jpg

retyree98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Found the first one of the season yesterday...as I ran over it with the lawn mower. I swear I can walk by them several times before I see them. After I see one or two, then they jump out at me the rest of the season. Same every year, just need to train my eyes at seeing them.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Found the first one of the season yesterday...as I ran over it with the lawn mower. I swear I can walk by them several times before I see them. After I see one or two, then they jump out at me the rest of the season. Same every year, just need to train my eyes at seeing them.
    For whatever reason, I just nearly cannot see them. EVER!

How about those who are knowledgeable, tell where they know to look for them. I`ve heard around fallen Elms. Is it just Elms? Are there other trees that if down should be checked? Is it ANY fallen tree? Where else?

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Before they had the Reservoirs in and the Wabash flooded every spring mushrooms were extremely plentiful! I can remember dad taking us hunting with him and looking from up high down over the river bottoms you could see them plain as day, looked like sticks of butter popping up out of the ground.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    For whatever reason, I just nearly cannot see them. EVER!

How about those who are knowledgeable, tell where they know to look for them. I`ve heard around fallen Elms. Is it just Elms? Are there other trees that if down should be checked? Is it ANY fallen tree? Where else?
    standing dead elm. a prime tree has the bark just falling off the branches and loose from the trunk of tree. 1st year good, second year good, third year usually too far gone but worth checking.

Top Bottom