• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I am in northwest Indiana. I try to keep up with local outdoorsmen and keep a look out in the field. But every year it seems I’m waiting for all the signs next thing I know people say they have came and gone already

So when do you guys start looking hard? I have had awful luck years past.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Kinda of depends on the area you will be hunting. Flat open areas (fence rows, field edges, flat woods with lots of sunlight to the floor) tend to start earlier than woods that are hilly and stay wet longer. We hunt areas that are hilly and have a thick canopy and when the Redbuds are starting to bloom is generally the time for us. Temps need to be steady and warm for about a week.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The earliest we've ever found a morel (a grey) on our southwest central Indiana property was on April 14th of 2021. Now that is when we start looking, following the temperatures and rain.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I`ve read that they should start showing up when overnight temps are in the 50`s and daytime temps in the low-mid 70`s. And with rain of course.

WhiskE TangO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Bargersville
    I have never found any in Central Indiana before the beginning of April.

Used to be that KY Derby weekend (first weekend in May) was the start of morel season.

But the past few years, I have been finding them by the second/third week of April.
    I have never found any in central Indiana period.....

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    In central (western) Indiana, we always looked for the mayapples to be up--pretty much never found any before that.

WhiskE TangO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Bargersville
    I know people that find them in their yards around Indy. I’ve found them in Holliday park in Indy. If you’ve never found them in central IN, you are not looking in the right place.
    There are a few spots, local parks I tried, but I was not able to find anything.
    And to be fair..... my tree identification SUCKS. I spend my entire time looking at the ground instead of tree searching, which is my main problem. I just need to learn. I used to go all the time as a kid. Not so much as an adult (ish).

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    There are a few spots, local parks I tried, but I was not able to find anything.
    And to be fair..... my tree identification SUCKS. I spend my entire time looking at the ground instead of tree searching, which is my main problem. I just need to learn. I used to go all the time as a kid. Not so much as an adult (ish).
    I don’t know diddly about trees but I still manage to find them. I look for areas the hobbits would live in. Mayapples are a good indicator.

Top Bottom