• ...and so much more!
  • craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Hi Guys,
    I am new to turkey hunting this year and wanted to get some advice/tips.

Last weekend my buddy and I went out to practice bringing turkeys in to our decoys in Parke county. By practice, I mean, we went out with everything except a gun. We are using a a hen and one jake setup. It’s the Avian X breeder hen and half strut jake.

We got into the woods reasonably well before light and setup with our backs to a large tree, our decoys slightly off to our 10-11 oclock and about 20 yards away. We were about 300 yards from Sugar Creek and maybe twice that from the fields above and beyond the ravines. The woods is very old growth and very open with the exception of the large trees. We setup the breeder hen just ahead of the jake at around 6 feet away. We are both in full head to toe Ghillie suits, but my criticism of the suits is that they are relatively dark and uniform in dark brown patterns .

I began calling with a crow call and a barred owl call on the way out. A barred owl was kind enough to answer me with each owl call. No gobbles though. Once we were seated I gobbled several times and waited about 2 minutes and then hen clucked on the slate call, so a call about every few minutes. No response. We settled at a spot we knew turkeys showed up on our trail cams. As it became light, the woodpeckers started to really fire up. They were big and loud, I assume they were pileated given the volume. Otherwise the woods were dead quiet. Anyhow, after the woodpeckers started to get louder, I happened to notice that there was a VERY distant gobble following each loud pecking sound. I would guess 300 yards away nearer the creek. Had I not been turkey hunting I would not have heard it as being a separate sound from the pecking! The wood peckers were acting as a shock gobble call for me!

I hit the gobble again after a minute and I got a response. About 3 minutes later, I hit it again and he gobbled again MUCH closer! Another 3 minutes and I got a response from about 100 yards, so we got ready….and my buddy whispers “I forgot the camera in the truck”. Great.

A short moment later a big tom appears coming in hot, but almost like he had somewhere he was going past us, probably to feed and he was just swinging in to check things out. He appeared about 100 yards out at our 11 oclock, so the decoys were just off of being between him and us. I recall thinking how huge he looked compared to our decoys. I started soft purring, as it seemed he may pass, and he came in to about 70 yards and strutted and danced all around for us for several minutes. BUT, then he decided he wasn’t interested and walked slowly away. He kept gobbling and responding to my calls, so we could judge he was leaving MUCH more slowly than he came in, but he was leaving none the less.

What went wrong? My first thought is that our ghillie suits stood out easily against the lighter, very large trees in the woods and he got nervous seeing those big brown blobs. My soft calling wasn’t convincing enough? Too early in season for him to be interested in fighting a jake over a hen?

Thoughts? Thanks

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Yeah, you aren’t gonna get much of a positive response from turkey hunters about this. Turkeys certainly aren’t the smartest animals in the woods but they can and do learn and what you are doing is likely to educate them more than you are educating yourselves. Absolutely nothing wrong with putting on a ghille and hitting the woods to work on your stealth and observe them, just leave the calls at home until you’re allowed to bring a gun with them.

Sometimes they come in, sometimes they don’t. They aren’t particularly predictable and may do any number of different things in the exact same situation. About the only thing you can count on is how weary they are. I spook plenty of birds each season because I go after them hiding behind a strutter decoy. Sometimes they just take off, sometimes they stand their ground and let me get close enough to shoot them (got one like this today in TN) and sometimes they run right at you.

I wouldn’t worry about practicing your calling. I’ve heard them respond to some absolutely horrible calling and honestly there is a pretty wide range as far as how hens sound. Their ears are pretty easy to fool, their eyes - not so much.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Yeah, you aren’t gonna get much of a positive response from turkey hunters about this. Turkeys certainly aren’t the smartest animals in the woods but they can and do learn and what you are doing is likely to educate them more than you are educating yourselves. Absolutely nothing wrong with putting on a ghille and hitting the woods to work on your stealth and observe them, just leave the calls at home until you’re allowed to bring a gun with them.

Sometimes they come in, sometimes they don’t. They aren’t particularly predictable and may do any number of different things in the exact same situation. About the only thing you can count on is how weary they are. I spook plenty of birds each season because I go after them hiding behind a strutter decoy. Sometimes they just take off, sometimes they stand their ground and let me get close enough to shoot them (got one like this today in TN) and sometimes they run right at you.

I wouldn’t worry about practicing your calling. I’ve heard them respond to some absolutely horrible calling and honestly there is a pretty wide range as far as how hens sound. Their ears are pretty easy to fool, their eyes - not so much.

Oh, ha, I didn't think of a negative reception to my long story. BUT It is a nice large private property on which we have permission to deer hunt, but not turkey hunt... nor does anyone else. We are allowed to hike and photograph all other wildlife though, so we did this as a practice run for the other private farm, in Northeastern Indiana, on which we DO have permission to turkey hunt. I should have clarified. Thanks for the reply.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My methods.

Keep the cameras out just to see what's out there, but around here they move around.

Try to hide behind stuff like downed trees rather than in front of it.

I'm a poor caller so I don't rely on that.

Know your gun, it's strengths and it's limitations.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I’d give you my methods, but all my hunts except for one sound like your story. Like said above, they’re unpredictable. Keep at it and enjoy all the sights and sounds. I’ve been at it three years and don’t have much to show, but always look forward to season. More than deer. Good luck!

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    "My methods.

Keep the cameras out just to see what's out there, but around here they move around.

Try to hide behind stuff like downed trees rather than in front of it.

I'm a poor caller so I don't rely on that.

Know your gun, it's strengths and it's limitations."

We had trail cameras out during the last few years here and there for deer, so it just happened we knew where turkeys might be more frequent. It was simply a byproduct of our deer hunting efforts. This particular woods doesn't have a lot of downs, but I agree we should have found something to hide behind rather than rely on sitting up against a big tree. The woods/property we intend to hunt has been logged and lost a lot of ash recently, so the understory is much thicker and places to hide are going to be much easier to find. I assume we will have more foliage coming on by that point too. I am going to mod my ghillie suit by adding some foliage green paint sprayed on here and there, plus some fde to increase the outline breakup.

I can't use the mouth calls effectively, but I don't know if I will ever hunt by myself, so that probably won't be an issue. I am going to watch some more youtube videos to practice my slate calling.

The first thing I did was take my gun out and pattern it to 50 yards. I don't like to hunt for anything unless I know exactly how my gun is shooting. Otherwise I feel like you could just be wasting your time in the woods. I bought the Carlson's turkey choke and I was amazed how many pellets hit a 4" circle at 50 yards with the Win longbeard loads. I counted just over 20 #5 pellets in that circle at 50. I think that is the max range I would shoot, but pretty impressive anyhow.

Thanks for the replies and the encouragement.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Up at our little white 120 year old farm house there is an old vintage 50's light on the front of the house with an aluminum shade that's loose...Every spring it never fails....I'll be sitting on the front porch on a breezy day sipping on a bourbon and that shade will begin squeaking and chirping....

Then I'll hear a gobble from back in the holler...One day a Tom and my light spoke for 45 minutes....Cracks me up....

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm a fan of the ghillie suit as well, but only the top half. I can't move around as quickly or as long wearing the pants.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I'm a fan of the ghillie suit as well, but only the top half. I can't move around as quickly or as long wearing the pants.
    Yours looks really good! That is what I think of when I think of a Ghillie suit. The one I have is just the basic one they were offering at cabelas this spring. It is just sortof a ragged leafy looking thing. Its permethrin treated and kindof an elastic mesh with a dark mossy oak like pattern material cut into leaf shape patterns on it. I think it was only $50 though, so you get what you pay for and I also why I am not concerned about just hitting it with some camo krylon here and there. I bet if I google it I can find some materials to sew to the mesh of my suit to make more effective. Hmmmm...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I like Gilley suits....

mickeygilley_encore_jan28.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Set up in front of a tree, that's wider than your shoulders.
    Never gobble or use tom dekes (You might be surprised out how private ground seems to turn public).
    Hunt til noon like the old days. And hope others stay the hell out in the evening too.
    Don't over call.
    "Run n gun" does not mean making noise and being visible between call sites.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't use fancy calls.
    Just a double reed diaphragm and a glass slate.
    Sometimes just two double reeds. One in pack, and one in cheek.
    Idea is to have a spare.........stuff happens.

Camo w Sawyers on it. Stays in tub.... in truck.
    I don't bring that into the hotel.
    No freakin' way.

I also bring two guns, in case somebody's breaks.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Hi Guys,
    I am new to turkey hunting this year and wanted to get some advice/tips.

Last weekend my buddy and I went out to practice bringing turkeys in to our decoys in Parke county. By practice, I mean, we went out with everything except a gun. We are using a a hen and one jake setup. It’s the Avian X breeder hen and half strut jake.

We got into the woods reasonably well before light and setup with our backs to a large tree, our decoys slightly off to our 10-11 oclock and about 20 yards away. We were about 300 yards from Sugar Creek and maybe twice that from the fields above and beyond the ravines. The woods is very old growth and very open with the exception of the large trees. We setup the breeder hen just ahead of the jake at around 6 feet away. We are both in full head to toe Ghillie suits, but my criticism of the suits is that they are relatively dark and uniform in dark brown patterns .

I began calling with a crow call and a barred owl call on the way out. A barred owl was kind enough to answer me with each owl call. No gobbles though. Once we were seated I gobbled several times and waited about 2 minutes and then hen clucked on the slate call, so a call about every few minutes. No response. We settled at a spot we knew turkeys showed up on our trail cams. As it became light, the woodpeckers started to really fire up. They were big and loud, I assume they were pileated given the volume. Otherwise the woods were dead quiet. Anyhow, after the woodpeckers started to get louder, I happened to notice that there was a VERY distant gobble following each loud pecking sound. I would guess 300 yards away nearer the creek. Had I not been turkey hunting I would not have heard it as being a separate sound from the pecking! The wood peckers were acting as a shock gobble call for me!

I hit the gobble again after a minute and I got a response. About 3 minutes later, I hit it again and he gobbled again MUCH closer! Another 3 minutes and I got a response from about 100 yards, so we got ready….and my buddy whispers “I forgot the camera in the truck”. Great.

A short moment later a big tom appears coming in hot, but almost like he had somewhere he was going past us, probably to feed and he was just swinging in to check things out. He appeared about 100 yards out at our 11 oclock, so the decoys were just off of being between him and us. I recall thinking how huge he looked compared to our decoys. I started soft purring, as it seemed he may pass, and he came in to about 70 yards and strutted and danced all around for us for several minutes. BUT, then he decided he wasn’t interested and walked slowly away. He kept gobbling and responding to my calls, so we could judge he was leaving MUCH more slowly than he came in, but he was leaving none the less.

What went wrong? My first thought is that our ghillie suits stood out easily against the lighter, very large trees in the woods and he got nervous seeing those big brown blobs. My soft calling wasn’t convincing enough? Too early in season for him to be interested in fighting a jake over a hen?

Thoughts? Thanks
    HAHAHA

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    To the OP..........

I've only killed a half doz toms, and called a couple in for buds.
    Don't know much about it, just enough to have some success.

IMHO when a tom is present, any sounds not coming from the deke he sees, is gonna screw it up.
    I never call when a I see a tom, assume he sees the deke and let it do all the work from then on.

Note: I am not in a blind, and don't have multiple decoys.

I travel light, as I do run and gun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Public or private, I never roost birds the night before or use shock calls the morning of a hunt.
    I know birds are around.
    My idea is to sneak in and set up.
    Don't want anything to know I'm there until I'm ready to sound like a hen.
    Some soft yelps right before legal light and if no fly down or gobbles, wait until 15 mins after legal light for another series.

Keep track of time, so as to not over call. I wait 15 mins or so before I call again.

Oh yeah, hunt with somebody that knows how to walk silently.
    A lot of deer and turkey hunters use their best behavior when hunting with a bud......and while they may be as quiet as they ever have been..........
    that doesn't mean they are quiet.

Some people have no grace or stealth..........and they can ruin your hunt.

Cordura, and vests with 27 zippered pockets crammed with all sorts of Cabelas crap. Don't be that guy.
    ZIIIIIIIIP ZZIIIIIIP SWOOSH SWOOOSH ZIIIIING ZIIIING.
    Don't care if you bought the best..........every bird in the county will hear you digging that crap out. Or clunking of walking sticks, shooting rests, decoy rods etc.
    Might as well kick a couple of beer cans all the way to your call site. LOL

Last edited:

tallpaulr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Turkeys are interesting and if they have been called before and missed yikes, they learn fast. One thing i have seen is the way the light shines off my decoys etc. it can be crazy off the plastic and not be like a real bird. thus they get wise. also they do sometimes have a place to go and well they are going no matter what you do

Top Bottom