• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In case you didn't shake your head quite enough when you heard about The Curve:

[video=youtube;N_LFr5hBZps]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_LFr5hBZps[/video]

Now you have Wings!

A removeable spur hammer? Why don't they just copy S&W's shrouded hammer design? Then you always have the option of having a hammer and never have to worry about snagging.

Taurus: We're trying to reinvent the wheel, and make it an octagon!

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    Perhaps S&W has a patent on the shrouded hammer design? Also, remember that not every gun buyer is of the same mind. Sometimes a new design will spur sales.

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    If they already make a model with shrouded hammer then why would they make a different model of the same design and showcase it at Shot Show? They are obviously looking for some new designs that will catch on and translate to sales. You may not think much of the removable hammer spur but other people may like it. I personally do not think any more highly of it than you do, as it would be way too easy to lose the thing once removed.

I do think the wings on the slide of the other pistol is a very good idea for people who have trouble racking the slide. I think it could use some more work though as having to manually pull each side out one at a time would be useless if you need to clear a jam in a self defense situation. Maybe adding spring deployment and a recessed button to deploy them would help out. It is definitely not something that I would recommend to someone as it is now.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I think the wings feature is a pretty good idea. It'll help people with lower grip strength rack the slide so they can carry a semi-auto with more round capacity than be limited to just a revolver. The removable hammer spur is a take it or leave it thing for me. Depending on how you carry. I still think the curve is intriguing. Would love a chance to shoot one and see what it's about.

Taurus is really going out on a limb with some of their ideas. I hope it works for them.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think the removable hammer spur is pretty benign. I predict that most anybody that would want that option would be likely to carry spurless and probably be unable to find the attachment when they want it. Hopefully replacements are cheap. The wings offend my sensibilities. If you can't generate enough hand strength to rack the slide perhaps that (or any) semi-auto is just not for you. What if you need to quickly clear a jam? The curve is a horror show. The top end looks like an industrial stapler. Perhaps the difference between being an innovator and being Popeil has escaped them. And I like Tauruses in general. Sigh.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I had an older friend who had issues with hand strength...I believe he would have been all over those wings.

The removable hammer spur though looks like something I'd lose right away. Not intentionally, just the sort of thing I'd see happening.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The wings aren't a terrible idea. I'm not sure its the best idea for those with reduced grip strength, and I think it'd be a lot smarter if it popped up automatically and was easier to hook on a belt, etc.

The screw off hammer is a terrible idea. You're going to carry it with no hammer and then cock it at the range? Practice like you carry. As everyone has said, losing it seems a very real possibility.

They may sell well. The clear side plate revolver sure didn't, though, so the idea that it'll sell just because its different doesn't ring true. Sometimes things are the way they are for a reason.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    A It's funny how people point fingers and bash Taurus for copying designs. I guess every other manufacture does the same copying the 1911 operation as well as all the plastics copying glocks style.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Interesting for sure. "Charging" handles on a pistol isn't new (you see them on some competition guns, especially with large red dot sights mounted above the slide), but could help folks that wouldn't otherwise carry a semi auto get into the market.

I like the idea of the Curve. Seems like a future direction for small semi autos. I'm sure there are some magazine challenges to overcome, but it looks quite comfortable. I'm not sure about the sighting system though. While shooting down the bore axis is a technique you can use in a pinch, I'm guessing that a traditional sight picture could be slightly compromised. Would have to see it and shoot it to know for sure.

Seven High

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    I would rather see Taurus tighten up their quality control on existing models. The last ones that I examined had sloppy actions and lockups.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I like the wings idea. It'd be nice to see a semi that people with low grip strength could use. And it's on one of their more popular models. The removable hammer...well, like the others said, I'd probably lose the damned thing first time out. Someone might see a need for it, though. Hope it works out for them.

Top Bottom