• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Chattanooga and Gettysburg have the spirits of the Civil War in abundance. I swear you can feel the cold breath of our forefathers on your skin in those places.

Walking little round top and the devil's den I absolutely had the shivers.
    I felt that as well. It was only on the Confederate line looking across at Little Round Top and Big Round Top. As soon as I walked up to that spot, I felt like I had been there before. It was a weird feeling.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Don't kid yourself,
    The big misconception is that 5.56mm is ineffective at distance is incorrect my friend.
    The 5.56mm bullet does considerably more damage than a 7.62mm bullet within its design envelope. People rant about 7.62 being so effective but the only people who shoot it are snipers and machine gunners. The later employ multiple hits while the former have excellent shot placement. The soviets switched from the 7.62 x 39mm round to the 5.45mm round 30 YEARS AGO. What else needs to be said about the effectiveness of fragmenting bullets at short-range? Also, one can carry twice as much ammo, in either 62, 69 or 77 grain loadouts.
    All will do the job at 500.
    I have shot 10s of thousands of rounds of 5.56. When the FMJ rounds go through the cheese cloth holding the paper target at 500y the brass rolls up into a tiny little doughnut and lands in your collar and burns the crap out of your neck. If you are lucky they will hang between the paper and cheese cloth saving you the discomfort.

At 500y the lead is the only thing to go through a paper target, anyone who was pulling targets at 500 back in the 70s can attest to this.

My pig would bring down the target at that yardage which is why as high shooter I chose to carry it. For obvious reasons I have considerably more rounds through it...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have shot 10s of thousands of rounds of 5.56. When the FMJ rounds go through the cheese cloth holding the paper target at 500y the brass rolls up into a tiny little doughnut and lands in your collar and burns the crap out of your neck. If you are lucky they will hang between the paper and cheese cloth saving you the discomfort.

At 500y the lead is the only thing to go through a paper target, anyone who was pulling targets at 500 back in the 70s can attest to this.

My pig would bring down the target at that yardage which is why as high shooter I chose to carry it. For obvious reasons I have considerably more rounds through it...
    I started shooting High Power in 72 or 7
    3, also pulled and qualed on MCRD Parris the summer of 76 with a A1 shooting 55 grainers. I dont recall anyone getting burned or just the lead cores poking holes in those targets. The M16A1 with its 1 in 12 rifling, 20" barrel and a 55 grainer had an efective range of 601 yards.
    Todays M4 with a 16" #7 twist and a 62, 69 or 77 grain bullet has even better ballistics.
    We shoot ****'tons of 55 grain 5.56 ammo when on or both of my sons are home. We shoot at two different clubs and a home range on the farm. I have yet to see any bullets loose their cores down range.

You sir are way behind in platform preformance.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    3, also pulled and qualed on MCRD Parris the summer of 76 with a A1 shooting 55 grainers. I dont recall anyone getting burned or just the lead cores poking holes in those targets. The M16A1 with its 1 in 12 rifling, 20" barrel and a 55 grainer had an efective range of 601 yards.
    Todays M4 with a 16" #7 twist and a 62, 69 or 77 grain bullet has even better ballistics.
    We shoot ****'tons of 55 grain 5.56 ammo when on or both of my sons are home. We shoot at two different clubs and a home range on the farm. I have yet to see any bullets loose their cores down range.

1686451762211.png

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    For this concept I would keep it as basic as possible

Rifle chambered in 5.56 with at least 10.5" barrel and up, STANAG magazine compatability, and ammo 55gr and up. Since it's militia I am assuming run what you brought scenario.

Since this is the QRF and seemingly more organized I would say AR-15 rifle, chambered in 5.56, operating system dealers choice but DI preferd for higher parts compatability (most civilians don't have cans so the piston benefit is moot). At least a 10.5 inch barrel preferred again, with 62gr bullets and up, higher end optics Aimpoints or EOTechs for red dots or Vortex Viper PST Gen2 level LPVO's and up allowed. Furniture on rifle is again dealers choice

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

If this is your polite way of calling me liar, I understand and fully accept your omnipotence. I wasn't within 6ft of impact at 500 yards, I didn't get burned, I don't even have one of the doughnuts of brass on the chain to my St Christopher medal that I wore in boot camp. Here, for all those years, I have carried those memories and souvenirs only now to know that it all must have been a bad dream. Thanks for setting me straight from my weak minded confusion and I bow down to your obvious superiority to anything but the Almighty. You sir, do great work and I feel refreshed from having been in the light of your knowledge...

Top Bottom