• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    well if i go down there and get a rifle i want something that is pretty decent and won't just sling lead when i shoot. What should I ask for? And i get to pick my own right?
    Depending on what you want to pay, there are different "grades", with Service Grade and Field Grade being the most common. The Service Grade rifles are generally in better shape, both cosmetically, and in the wear of the barrels, although that's not to say that a Field Grade won't be a fine shooter. I got the Service Grade myself, because to me it was worth the extra $100 to get a rifle that looked good as well as having less barrel wear, especially since I drove all that way to get it. :) The rifles are all tagged with their muzzle and throat erosion measurements - the lower the numbers, the less wear. You do indeed get to pick your own... just wander through the racks and find one you like.

You may already know this, but there are certain requirements you must meet in order to purchase from the CMP. Eligibility Requirements

For the "Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization" requirement, I'd recommend joining the Garand Collectors Association: The Garand Collectors Association
    $25 for a one year membership, and you get a magazine every 3 months.

For the "Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity" requirement, they will accept your LTCH.

Proof of citizenship (copy of your birth certificate works). The rest is pretty much the same as purchasing a gun at a shop - driver's license, form 4473, etc..

Each rifle will come with a hard case, chamber flag, manual, one en bloc clip, certificate of authenticity (suitable for framing!) and a free t-shirt. Slings are extra, but they're not expensive - maybe 5 bucks? (don't remember).

The CMP website also has information on field stripping, detail stripping, part replacement, etc.. Their customer service is excellent as well. I've actually had some problems with mine ejecting the en bloc clip "early", before all 8 rounds are fired and they've been very helpful. It's actually at their South Store right now (in Anniston, AL). They've paid all shipping costs and provided parts to try free of charge. I'm hoping it's all better once it comes back this time!

Last edited:

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Depending on what you want to pay, there are different "grades", with Service Grade and Field Grade being the most common. The Service Grade rifles are generally in better shape, both cosmetically, and in the wear of the barrels, although that's not to say that a Field Grade won't be a fine shooter. I got the Service Grade myself, because to me it was worth the extra $100 to get a rifle that looked good as well as having less barrel wear, especially since I drove all that way to get it. :) The rifles are all tagged with their muzzle and throat erosion measurements - the lower the numbers, the less wear. You do indeed get to pick your own... just wander through the racks and find one you like.

You may already know this, but there are certain requirements you must meet in order to purchase from the CMP. Eligibility Requirements

For the "Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization" requirement, I'd recommend joining the Garand Collectors Association: The Garand Collectors Association
    $25 for a one year membership, and you get a magazine every 3 months.

For the "Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity" requirement, they will accept your LTCH.

Proof of citizenship (copy of your birth certificate works). The rest is pretty much the same as purchasing a gun at a shop - driver's license, form 4473, etc..

Each rifle will come with a hard case, chamber flag, manual, one en bloc clip, certificate of authenticity (suitable for framing!) and a free t-shirt. Slings are extra, but they're not expensive - maybe 5 bucks? (don't remember).

The CMP website also has information on field stripping, detail stripping, part replacement, etc.. Their customer service is excellent as well. I've actually had some problems with mine ejecting the en bloc clip "early", before all 8 rounds are fired and they've been very helpful. It's actually at their South Store right now (in Anniston, AL). They've paid all shipping costs and provided parts to try free of charge. I'm hoping it's all better once it comes back this time!

Indiana State Rifle andmPistol Association is also a good way to meet the requirement to belong to a CMP affiliated organization.

I was at the north store a few weeks ago and they had tons of HRA and Springfields in field and service grade. All of the winchesters were really rough.

If you're looking for a collectible gun th cmp isn't the way to go right now...they're pretty picked over. But you can definitely get a good shooter and a neat piece of history.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I was just over at the CMP North store a few weeks ago. Full of Garands and not much else.

The Garands were very reasonably priced. Some were as inexpensive as $500, others up to $2,000.

I picked up a few books, one (1) was "The M1 Garand: Owner's Guide" and the other was "The M1 Carbine: Owners Guide."

For me it was a bit disappointing as I was looking for a larger selection (I already own a Garand), but it was nice to see the store.

If you want a Garand it is definitely worth the drive.

Regards,

Doug

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    yeah i just sold off a benelli and i think the Garand isn't far behind as a replacement. that and the finnish Suomi 9mm..btw j&G has nagant pistol rounds finally in bought a few to test them out. It is an interesting pistol thats for sure. not sure if any of you guys had any of those pistols..It's the cheapest mil-surp pilstol out there.

Top Bottom