• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Okay, I've forgotten which thread had this discussion in it, but it has been posited that Obama is purging our military leaders so he can use the military to enforce his rule. I say the military won't do that. Here is a WND article featuring a couple of retired General Officers discussing the situation.

Top generals: Obama is ?purging the military?

one of the "purged" generals was involved with the sleeping nuke officers with the doors open

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Wars winding down = less need for brass. You expand the military to deal with a conflict and then you draw it down afterward. We have as many generals right now as we did during WWII. Over 90 generals were made in the decade after 9/11. What should we do with them all as the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan wind down? Busy work?

Without commenting on any specific case, I would also add that its much easier to sell to yourself that you got "purged" than you screwed up or simply were no longer needed. It also looks better on a resume.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That article reads as if the author wants a military controlled country. I don't know if the generals words were carefully framed or stated in one sitting, but it makes it appear that they are frustrated with the Constitution and the idea of civilian leadership.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Wars winding down = less need for brass. You expand the military to deal with a conflict and then you draw it down afterward. We have as many generals right now as we did during WWII. Over 90 generals were made in the decade after 9/11. What should we do with them all as the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan wind down? Busy work?

Without commenting on any specific case, I would also add that its much easier to sell to yourself that you got "purged" than you screwed up or simply were no longer needed. It also looks better on a resume.
    I can't speak for officers, but as far as troop strengths and logistics we are at lower levels than gulf war strength. That's why our military cannot perform basic logistical tasks and required pmc's to fill the gap. We will never fight another conflict or war without the use of pmc's performing in military mos slots. This doesn't even touch on the contractors used by other govt agencies, some highly sensitive in nature. Also DOE using them to secure power facilities as another example. And DOS is a big fan of contractors.
    im not saying anything that you all don't already know, so my point is when I see major shake ups In the command structure it makes me take a look around at other goings on.

edit; and this includes foreign military's operating on u.s. Soil as advisers only (cough bull crap cough cough). And contractors operating in support of local and federal law enforcement. Private armies folks. That have effected power shifts in sovereign nations, and it could easily happen here. Who would congress hold accountable if the president authorized pmc's to secure our streets and quarter themselves in our homes? It's a real possibility not just tin foil talk.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It's also well known that you sign your blank letter of resignation the first day you accept a high level post to save any embarrassment or power grasp down the road. Also you can bet that during the vetting process they (FBI, NSA, CIA) dig up enough dirt on you that you will just willingly slip away rather than have it thrown to the media to totally discredit you and ruin your life and family.
    I think this is a lot of reasons we see unexpected court rulings and broken political promises. I don't believe for a second that even the potus calls all the shots and has his puppet strings pulled a lot.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    That article reads as if the author wants a military controlled country. I don't know if the generals words were carefully framed or stated in one sitting, but it makes it appear that they are frustrated with the Constitution and the idea of civilian leadership.

Which article are you referencing, Kutnupe? In the WND article, one of the general officers quoted said there wouldn't be a "military coup" and cited the reason why it wouldn't happen. The very worst I could see would be the military refusing to follow a perceived unlawful order from the National Command Authority.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Which article are you referencing, Kutnupe? In the WND article, one of the general officers quoted said there wouldn't be a "military coup" and cited the reason why it wouldn't happen. The very worst I could see would be the military refusing to follow a perceived unlawful order from the National Command Authority.
    The only way I think there would be a military coup would be if martial law was declared. I believe it would happen. They would be forced into action by the civilian response.
    and of coarse no retired general is going to come out and even say its a real possibility. With the power and respect they still hold, they might disappear or suddenly find a consulting job overseas. It would be suicide.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I can't speak for officers, but as far as troop strengths and logistics we are at lower levels than gulf war strength.

All the more reasons we don't need as many generals now as we did in WWII. We aren't talking about company level officers or enlisted men, we are talking about generals. Google number of generals by year. The information is readily available as the total number of generals allowed is set by law.

As far as private military companies, we weren't that scary. The vast majority of us were guys who were soldiers before and left the military. Its a cost efficient way to get us vets with experience and training that taxpayers already paid for once back into your ranks, and without having to pay long term disability, retirement benefits, etc. Soldiers are expensive long term. Contractors are expensive short term, but have no associated long term costs. We were just regular guys doing a somewhat irregular job, nothing evil or sinister about it.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The only way I think there would be a military coup would be if martial law was declared. I believe it would happen. They would be forced into action by the civilian response.
    and of coarse no retired general is going to come out and even say its a real possibility. With the power and respect they still hold, they might disappear or suddenly find a consulting job overseas. It would be suicide.

Martial law is one area where the military response would be highly dependent upon the situation. If the military response was to a civilian insurrection, then I would expect the military to support the NCA. If it became apparent that there was no civil unrest or insurrection, I would expect the military commanders to refuse to comply, and on a small-unit level, I would expect the troops to avoid enforcement where possible.

Top Bottom