• TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    It depends entirely on where you do it.

The Legal History of Flipping the Bird / Middle Finger

Judge: 'Flipping the bird' was not illegal - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Man Sues Trooper Who Ticketed Him For Middle-Finger Gesture - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh

Not doing what a cop tells you to do usually ends up not favorable to you. Regardless of the cop's personal feelings on the subject he was trying to prevent violence. In the field the cop is always right, in court is another matter. A cop tells you to put your hand down, put your hand down and argue over legality later.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Failing to stop inflammatory behavior after a police officer tells you to stop could be considered "disorderly conduct."

Flipping the bird in and of itself is not illegal, as far as I know, but yes, one could be arrested for something that otherwise would be legal behavior.

For instance, it is legal to walk across a street at an intersection. If a traffic cop is there directing traffic, though, and tells you to wait your turn, would you say, "this is a free country. I'm walking anyway"? Go ahead, but be prepared for a ticket. The situation in my mind is equal.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It depends entirely on where you do it.

The Legal History of Flipping the Bird / Middle Finger

Judge: 'Flipping the bird' was not illegal - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Man Sues Trooper Who Ticketed Him For Middle-Finger Gesture - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh

Not doing what a cop tells you to do usually ends up not favorable to you. Regardless of the cop's personal feelings on the subject he was trying to prevent violence. In the field the cop is always right, in court is another matter. A cop tells you to put your hand down, put your hand down and argue over legality later.

Naw... if a cop wants to arrest me for breaking the law, I'll just count the $$$$$ while a criminal with a badge sends my kid to college. Nothing about my life consists of caving in to thugs, or illelegal demands made of me by government agents.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Naw... if a cop wants to arrest me for breaking the law, I'll just count the $$$$$ while a criminal with a badge sends my kid to college. Nothing about my life consists of caving in to thugs, or illelegal demands made of me by government agents.

Again: In the field the cop is always right, in court is another matter. If you want to push it, then push it. If your sure you will win in court go ahead more power to you.

Nathan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Wabash, Indiana
    what if you were showing the nice officer the paper cut on your middle finger. but you were mad that you got the cut, therefore, while showing the cop your finger, you were angered. perfectly legit in my crazy mind.....i'd just plea temporary insanity. seems to work for all the convicted serial killers out there now.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    what if you were showing the nice officer the paper cut on your middle finger. but you were mad that you got the cut, therefore, while showing the cop your finger, you were angered. perfectly legit in my crazy mind.....i'd just plea temporary insanity. seems to work for all the convicted serial killers out there now.

Nathan are you a lawyer by chance? :laugh:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    This video is a couple years old but I just found it. This man was giving the finger to illegal alien supporters and was told to put his hand down by police and he didn't. Do you think he broke the law?
    LiveLeak.com - Man gets beatdown by police for standing up to Illegals
    I persoanlly couldn't care less if he flipped them off...but you have to be somewhat smart about it.

IC 35-45-1-3
    Disorderly conduct
    Sec. 3. (a) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally:
    (1) engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct;
    (2) makes unreasonable noise and continues to do so after being asked to stop; or
    (3) disrupts a lawful assembly of persons;
    commits disorderly conduct, a Class B misdemeanor.

IC 35-42-2-3
    Provocation
    Sec. 3. A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally engages in conduct that is likely to provoke a reasonable man to commit battery commits provocation, a Class C infraction.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.2. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.32.

IC 35-44-3-3
    Resisting law enforcement; mandatory sentence
    Sec. 3. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) forcibly resists, obstructs, or interferes with a law enforcement officer or a person assisting the officer while the officer is lawfully engaged in the execution of the officer's duties;
    (2) forcibly resists, obstructs, or interferes with the authorized service or execution of a civil or criminal process or order of a court; or
    (3) flees from a law enforcement officer after the officer has, by visible or audible means, including operation of the law enforcement officer's siren or emergency lights, identified himself or herself and ordered the person to stop;
    commits resisting law enforcement, a Class A misdemeanor, except as provided in subsection (b).
    (b) The offense under subsection (a) is a:
    (1) Class D felony if:
    (A) the offense is described in subsection (a)(3) and the person uses a vehicle to commit the offense; or
    (B) while committing any offense described in subsection (a), the person draws or uses a deadly weapon, inflicts bodily injury on or otherwise causes bodily injury to another person, or operates a vehicle in a manner that creates a substantial risk of bodily injury to another person;
    (2) Class C felony if, while committing any offense described
    in subsection (a), the person operates a vehicle in a manner that causes serious bodily injury to another person; and
    (3) Class B felony if, while committing any offense described in subsection (a), the person operates a vehicle in a manner that causes the death of another person.
    (c) For purposes of this section, a law enforcement officer includes an enforcement officer of the alcohol and tobacco commission and a conservation officer of the department of natural resources.
    (d) If a person uses a vehicle to commit a felony offense under subsection (b)(1)(B), (b)(2), or (b)(3), as part of the criminal penalty imposed for the offense, the court shall impose a minimum executed sentence of at least:
    (1) thirty (30) days, if the person does not have a prior unrelated conviction under this section;
    (2) one hundred eighty (180) days, if the person has one (1) prior unrelated conviction under this section; or
    (3) one (1) year, if the person has two (2) or more prior unrelated convictions under this section.
    (e) Notwithstanding IC 35-50-2-2 and IC 35-50-3-1, the mandatory minimum sentence imposed under subsection (d) may not be suspended.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.4. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.61; Acts 1979, P.L.83, SEC.11; P.L.188-1984, SEC.1; P.L.325-1987, SEC.1; P.L.248-1993, SEC.1; P.L.13-1998, SEC.1; P.L.143-2006, SEC.2.

Last edited:

WoodWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    That Day inflamed me too, I got fired from my job because of disrespecting an illegal alien. So I went home and called INS, and found they don't care to enforce Immigration laws. So much for America, we are all screwed.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Failing to stop inflammatory behavior after a police officer tells you to stop could be considered "disorderly conduct."

"Disorderly Conduct" is one of those catch all charges. It's one of those laws that either needs rewritten with strict definitions, or erased entirely. You can spit on the sidewalk and they'll give you DC charges. You might beat them, but you'll get charged. I was there when it happened.

Chalk another one up for Bad Laws.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    fu.jpg

Top Bottom