Michigan CPL Holder Fires Upon Shoplifter Fleeing Home Depot: Justified?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gummergif

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2015
    REDACTED
    With only the information in the article, sounds like someone with a hero complex.

More info may come out later, but for now...

It sounds like the person was fleeing, and not a threat. The person opening fire in a parking lot sounds more like a threat.

You could miss, and hit something (or someone) you didn't intend to. Heck, even if you hit your target and took out their tires, that could cause the thief to swerve and slam into another car or bystander. Who's financially responsible for that? Could bethe person shooting out tires.

And for what? $10-$20 of megacorporation's property?

You should act in defence of your life or the lives of others, if forced to. Not in the defence of property.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Maybe they weren't really shoplifting. I read on INGO you're suppose to keep walking when you hear the alarm and you don't let anyone stop you. Now do I have to worry about getting shot?

And what's with the laptops in front of the news anchors? Can't they afford separate offices for them and teleprompters? :dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What's the potential upside? You think you're going to get a parade and the key to the city if you kill a shoplifter? That's generally a misdemeanor in Indiana now, and while I know "get tough on crime" is popular to say I've not seen much agitating for the death penalty for misdemeanors.

Potential downside: Criminal recklessness charge if you miss, battery or manslaughter type charges (whatever they have in MI) if you hit, you hit something or someone you didn't want to hit, civil suit if you hit someone or not, some one else sees you in full active shooter mode laying rounds into a vehicle for no apparent reason and decides to intervene, people on the Internet point out you went full ruh-tard, a march is held on your front lawn, etc. etc.

No. Get the license plate, go on about my day.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    if they would have actually hit the suspect, i'm sure she'd be in jail for quite some time.

And if she missed, how may innocent bystanders were put at risk?

Now, theft of any kind pisses me off, but no risk of imminent harm = gun stays holstered. Just another incident that can be used against those who carry responsibly.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As long as she was shooting for the tires, she should be fine.

According to the article, they think she got a tire, so I say:

borat-thumbs-up.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Eddies are a subset of Michiganders who display the highest of intellect and character.

When the bush plane was late picking us up, I threatened to find out if they also display the best tenderness and flavor.:laugh:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Not just no but **** no. Why anyone would even do that is beyond me. Let the store eat it. The only trouble that's worthwhile in a firearms case is your self defense.

Top Bottom