• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    Any body go out treasure hunting with a metal detectors ? If you do share your stories / post some pic's of some cool finds .

I got a whites M6 i bought used a week ago and so far i found at my mommas house 2x Indian head pennys , 1x shot slug from a muzzle loader and trash . Went to a creek and found a home made crack pipe and a ww2 style gas mask . Then went to a train wreck that happened back in 1895 and found most of the remains of a pocket watch .

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I always wanted a metal detector

Me to, but i am afraid that i would want the top of the line best bang for the buck pricy model and would get bored with it and then it would either sit unused or be craigslisted for 2/3rd of what i had in it. I will just stick with my other hobbies for now.

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    i bought a cheap one off of amazon.com to try and find my wedding ring i lost in the cattle lot. found out it will pick up all the metal in the concrete.... so no ring yet. messed around with it in the yard and found some old toys(small cars and tractors) a penny(1998), and a TON of nails. i guess there used to be alot of out buildings on this farm:dunno:. going to go try some older home sights.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Only been a few times but it's not for me. I got tired real quick of digging up trash. Best thing I ever found was an old shotgun slug and a few (new)coins. I do love walking the fields and creeks looking for arrowheads though.

jLr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Like most others, all I find are nails, bottlecaps, and trash. I did find a shotgun slug once.

Metal detectors are awesome to use if you're trying to locate spent shell casings. That's what I use mine for.

rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    OK, so what is a decent metal detector to get started with? and how much do they run?
    They can cost a lot for a decent one , but if you just want one to play with i don't see how you could go wrong with Bounty Hunter® Tracker IV Metal Detector - RadioShack.com . I've never used that one but have read reviews about it , or a Garrett Ace 150 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors . Just really depends how much you wanna spend , you get what you pay for in a metal detector .

Me and a friend went out detecting a few days ago and found some lead bullets in a really weird spot . We found the bullets next to a really old outhouse in the woods that hasn't been used for over 50 years , way out in the boonys . They were 10 feet in front of the outhouse and were about 6 inch's deep . Both were 2 inchs a part and were both different calibers . Couldn't find any cases , stuff like that makes me wounder what the heck happened .:dunno:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    How well will a cheap one detect something like gold?? I lost my wedding ring a couple of years ago, and Im pretty sure I know the area I lost it. $100 would be a cheap way to make the wife happy and get my ring back! ;)

rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    Errrrrr....... no The cheap ones don't detect very far down and they can't tell what there detecting . ( also how much trash is in the area ? ) I know were two rings are and i still havn't found them because of all the trash in the ground and my detector is a 700 dollar one . One day i will find them after i dig all the pop tabes up .
    If you wanna find your ring I'll help , all i want if i find the thing is to have a pic of it , so i can say i found some thing beside bullets and metal raccoon turds .

EDIT : a cheap one could detected it but is gonna be harder.

Last edited:

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I do it a lot. Maybe 10 hrs a week.
    I have found since January 2012 $23.83, 2 gold rings-one 10k and one 14k, one silver ring and 2 silver mercs, 12 wheats, alot of trash and a few relics.
    1stsilverring001.jpg

md2ndgold001.jpg

1stgoldring004.jpg

detectorfinds003.jpg

A good begginer model is the Fisher F2 or Garrett Ace 250. Both will find gold but location and puttin in time is part of the game. Patience if you dont have it forget it. Its hard right now with it being dry. The F2 is a better machine because it has the best recovery. I have one but my main machine is a garrett AT Pro. :ingo:

rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    So far no one has anything of value with their metal detector
    hmmm.... I'm not rich yet but i've been making enough to buy batteries and slowly paying my metal detector off . Most valuable thing i got so far is proablly a button from a 1830's cabin . Has a house with a bunch of windows on it , then roman numbers below it and then a half crescent shape below it . Not saying its worth any thing but some time buttons are .

The coolest part about Treasure hunting to me is researching where i'm gonna go next and learning all the freackin retarded history of the place . Most people would not believe what used to be in some spots 100 years ago and so far my intel has been spot on from talking to old grumpy people .

Next project for me is i'm gonna cruise the Ohio river looking for some old river pirate treasure .

One of the guys i hunt with has a fishers F2 , works good for him .

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I'm picking up a White’s XLT spectrum E-series this evening and can't wait to get out and test it. Forget the rain and bring me some treasure! :rockwoot:

How well will a cheap one detect something like gold?? I lost my wedding ring a couple of years ago, and Im pretty sure I know the area I lost it. $100 would be a cheap way to make the wife happy and get my ring back! ;)

Clay, I have been detecting for over a year now with a Bounty Hunter Tracker series and have found a lot of cool stuff in my yard. I found approximately $7 in current coin change, a few old matchbox cars, an old tin disc with jackie robinson painted on in. By far the coolest find is an old cast WWII soldier that I'm guessing came from the 50's.

If you're simply looking for a lost ring and you know the general vicinity, go for a cheap detector. As someone said before, they don't search too deep [I've not found anything deeper than 3 inches] and they don't tell you what material is awaiting you below the surface. The downside is you dig a lot of trash but you still find cool stuff if you don't get beat down by not finding anything.

Since I'm upgrading my detector this evening, I'm actually selling my old detector. It's in the non firearms related for sale area.

I will try and get a few pictures of my finds up this evening.

I have a friend who introduced me to detecting. He started out with an ACE 250 and found stuff, sold it and worked his way up to owning two Mine Lab detectors without spending an extra dime. At this point, he's well ahead in his investment.

Top Bottom