• ...and so much more!
  • PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    must be nice to have time too look for lost treasures

It is!:D I don't get out as much as I'd like. This year has been a bad one for detecting around here. First we had a warm spring which let the farmers plant early and keeping me out of the field sites I hunt. Then the very dry summer eliminated me being able to hunt parks or even yards because there is no way to dig in dry hard ground and not damage the grass. I'm just hoping the farmers get the crops(what there are of them) harvested early so I can do some serious metal detecting.:laugh:

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Tonight I decided to hit the front yard for a few. I was out maybe a whole 20 minutes and found something I'm unsure of. I found a 1954 D wheat penny that had been painted blue. I'm not sure why someone would have painted it but it sure held up well.

Anyone have an idea why someone would do this or was it more than likely the result of a bored individual with a wheat penny and some blue paint?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I feel sorry for the poor soul that finds my yard in 50 years. He's gonna be cussing under his breath as he digs up all the .22 brass thinking he struck gold... of course by them I'm sure technology will be able to show you a 3D image of exactly what the detector is seeing underground... :D

*** Goes outside to smash .22 brass into the shape of a dime ***

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I feel sorry for the poor soul that finds my yard in 50 years. He's gonna be cussing under his breath as he digs up all the .22 brass thinking he struck gold... of course by them I'm sure technology will be able to show you a 3D image of exactly what the detector is seeing underground... :D

*** Goes outside to smash .22 brass into the shape of a dime ***

That sounds like my yard.:laugh: Last month I bought my oldest son a hex reciever Mosin Nagant and had it in the backyard stripping it down to let the hot sun help me clean the cosmoline off. Without thinking I picked up the barrel and action and moved it realizing after I did that the pin holding the trigger in place was not a press fit. Naturally the pin was gone so I got out my metal detector and set out to find it. As soon as I got outside I realized that it was the same area I shot my .22s. I'm afraid to guess how many thousands of casings are in that part of the yard.:D Luckily I have a large disc magnet on a handle and used it to find the steel pin in about 30 seconds. That was only after spending about 15 minutes trying to find it with my $1500 metal detector.:laugh: If you want something that will really frustrate you try detecting an old house that once had a slate roof. The nails that held the slate have an octagon or square head and they are made of brass. They register just like an Indian Head Penny and are usually the same depth. I quit detecting at a home once because of the amount of octagonal head brass nails in the ground.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    That sounds like my yard.:laugh: Last month I bought my oldest son a hex reciever Mosin Nagant and had it in the backyard stripping it down to let the hot sun help me clean the cosmoline off. Without thinking I picked up the barrel and action and moved it realizing after I did that the pin holding the trigger in place was not a press fit. Naturally the pin was gone so I got out my metal detector and set out to find it. As soon as I got outside I realized that it was the same area I shot my .22s. I'm afraid to guess how many thousands of casings are in that part of the yard.:D Luckily I have a large disc magnet on a handle and used it to find the steel pin in about 30 seconds. That was only after spending about 15 minutes trying to find it with my $1500 metal detector.:laugh: If you want something that will really frustrate you try detecting an old house that once had a slate roof. The nails that held the slate have an octagon or square head and they are made of brass. They register just like an Indian Head Penny and are usually the same depth. I quit detecting at a home once because of the amount of octagonal head brass nails in the ground.

I thought I was the only one who hated to detect their own home. It hasn't stopped me but I now know where to not hunt. I feel like the previous owners used my back yard as a junk yard/ trash dump. I find sooooo much junk metal I could almost scrap it out and pay for a $1500 detector.

On the bright side, I did find my first silver in my front yard. It's a 1942 Mercury Dime in pretty decent shape aside from the scratch I put on it while digging it up.

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I thought I was the only one who hated to detect their own home. It hasn't stopped me but I now know where to not hunt. I feel like the previous owners used my back yard as a junk yard/ trash dump. I find sooooo much junk metal I could almost scrap it out and pay for a $1500 detector.

On the bright side, I did find my first silver in my front yard. It's a 1942 Mercury Dime in pretty decent shape aside from the scratch I put on it while digging it up.

Congratulations on finding your first silver! That is not always easy to do nowdays. My house is only 15yrs old so there's not much chance of finding anything old in the yard. If you are really interested in finding old coins, research is your friend.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Congratulations on finding your first silver! That is not always easy to do nowdays. My house is only 15yrs old so there's not much chance of finding anything old in the yard. If you are really interested in finding old coins, research is your friend.

Thank you!

I got out this morning and found 2 more silver coins. I found a 1951 dime and a 58 quarter. What shocked me was a penny I found. Its an 1847 large cent. I wish I could load pictures from my phone. Its my best find to date.

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    Thank you!

I got out this morning and found 2 more silver coins. I found a 1951 dime and a 58 quarter. What shocked me was a penny I found. Its an 1847 large cent. I wish I could load pictures from my phone. Its my best find to date.

Those are some nice finds. Large pennies are pretty rare to find in town. When you hunt cabin'home sites in fields they are a little more common find. The best sites for old stuff are the sites now located in crop fields . If you lived in my county I would send you the plat maps you need to find those sites. I have maps dating back to 1865 for Randolph County. A farmer will know every old cabin/home site on his land if you don't have plat maps. Don't know how far you live from me but if it's not too far maybe you can try some field hunting with me after the crops are harvested. Just out of curiousity, what kind of detector do you have. I've owned 40 plus detectors in the last 15yrs and might be able to give you some tips on it if I've used one.:laugh:

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Actually, I'm from Randolph County but now I live in Richmond. I graduated from Modoc (Union High School). I get up that way quite often. My mom lives in Huntsville Indiana and according to a few plat maps I've looked at, there were 2 homes and something called a "Parker Boque"? According to the plat maps, the Boque is located in what is now being used as a bean field. I haven't really had the opportunity to hunt the other site either as it's overgrown with weeds. The section my mom's home sits on has been beat to death but we have pulled some cool buttons and old toys and such.

I would love to get out an hunt some old homesites with you. Usually, my work schedule always interferes with everyone elses so I gennerally hunt alone but always love going out with others.

Currently I am using a Whites XLT Spectrum E Series. I believe I have gotten it dialed in but I'm sure there are even more settings I'm unaware of. It seems like you could control a rocket launch with that thing! :)

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I also know who owns/lives where the old school sat in Huntsville. I'm currently working on getting permission to hunt that area. Just waiting on my mom to reach out to him. She knows him and I'm sure I can get permission but I want to make sure before I just show up and start hunting......

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I just got one! I can't wait to find stuff ;)

I'm sure you will. Let me know if I can help with anything further. Its a fun hobby but an addicting and expensive one as well. As long as you dont get discouraged from digging up junk, you'll find yourself upgrading in no time. I have 2 buddies who just upgraded their detectors to the new Minelab 3030 detectors at $2500 a piece!

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    Actually, I'm from Randolph County but now I live in Richmond. I graduated from Modoc (Union High School). I get up that way quite often. My mom lives in Huntsville Indiana and according to a few plat maps I've looked at, there were 2 homes and something called a "Parker Boque"? According to the plat maps, the Boque is located in what is now being used as a bean field. I haven't really had the opportunity to hunt the other site either as it's overgrown with weeds. The section my mom's home sits on has been beat to death but we have pulled some cool buttons and old toys and such.

I would love to get out an hunt some old homesites with you. Usually, my work schedule always interferes with everyone elses so I gennerally hunt alone but always love going out with others.

Currently I am using a Whites XLT Spectrum E Series. I believe I have gotten it dialed in but I'm sure there are even more settings I'm unaware of. It seems like you could control a rocket launch with that thing! :)

The XLT is is very good detector. Although the model is almost 20yrs old, a skilled user will take a back seat to few people. If you ever need any plat maps for that part of Randolph County PM me and I will be glad to email you a detailed photo of the maps for those townships. I have done this for several of my friends. Be aware that the older maps like the 1865 are not accurate giving the locations of homesites. I have found a homesite as much as 300yrs away from where the plat map showed it was located. The later maps are much more accurate. Currently I have 4 detectors. I have a Minelab E-Trac, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Musketeer and a Tesoro Compadre. One thing you might want to consider if you really like the hobby is getting a different coil for your detector. The large coil is not really good for hunting in trashy areas and that is where most old coins are found. A large coil has poor target separation. You may pass up a good find because a piece of trash is close to it and the detector averages the signal of the two targets. I used a White's MXT for years and only used the stock 9 1/2"coil a couple of times. Good luck, it sure sounds like you are off to a great start and you have top notch equipment.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    The XLT is is very good detector. Although the model is almost 20yrs old, a skilled user will take a back seat to few people. If you ever need any plat maps for that part of Randolph County PM me and I will be glad to email you a detailed photo of the maps for those townships. I have done this for several of my friends. Be aware that the older maps like the 1865 are not accurate giving the locations of homesites. I have found a homesite as much as 300yrs away from where the plat map showed it was located. The later maps are much more accurate. Currently I have 4 detectors. I have a Minelab E-Trac, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Musketeer and a Tesoro Compadre. One thing you might want to consider if you really like the hobby is getting a different coil for your detector. The large coil is not really good for hunting in trashy areas and that is where most old coins are found. A large coil has poor target separation. You may pass up a good find because a piece of trash is close to it and the detector averages the signal of the two targets. I used a White's MXT for years and only used the stock 9 1/2"coil a couple of times. Good luck, it sure sounds like you are off to a great start and you have top notch equipment.

I've actually been looking at a smaller coil but my wife still doesn't see the "value" in my hobby. I will share the responsibility for that though because I dont sell anything I've found. However, once I found a little silver, her brightened up a little. =)

I would certainly appreciate a few maps. I'll shoot you a message after I get back to work provided we aren't busy.

What part of Randolph county are you from? I'll also check my schedule for my next day off that I will be able to get out and do some dirt fishing if you want to join?

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    metal detectors

Are cheaper like 75-125$ metal detectors worthless out in the field? I have one of these and would toss my wedding ring "nearby" in the grass and find it, but would this work out in the "field" old sites, 2 to 5 inches deep?, or would i just be wasting my time with "cheap gear" :scratch:

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    what is the best metal detector to get in the $750- $800 range.

This is like asking: "what is the best caliber for hunting?" tTere are so many variables to consider that no one can say that one detector is better than the next. Are you going to be coin shooting or relic hunting? Are you wanting to hunt under water or ocean surf/beach.

I have a Whites XLT that is far better of a machine than I am an operator but I'm learning and it helped me find my first silver. You can pick up a used one around $400- $450.

Are cheaper like 75-125$ metal detectors worthless out in the field? I have one of these and would toss my wedding ring "nearby" in the grass and find it, but would this work out in the "field" old sites, 2 to 5 inches deep?, or would i just be wasting my time with "cheap gear" :scratch:

I started with a $140 detector. I enjoyed it but there are so many benefits to upgrading your detector and better depth is one of them. The deepest coin I found with my old machine was about 3 inches while my new one hits up to 7 inches.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Top Bottom