• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GtEcH25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Bloomington
    Saw on Fox News Network last night that Watters was down on the beach for spring break and was asking how liberal their particular college was....seems 98% of the people he asked said that their professors/college administrators tended to be more liberal then conservative, and one guy even said that some of them are so liberal, they cant stand having conservatives in the classroom.

Not that I'm at all surprised by this information. Colleges have been a breading ground for liberals since the 60's. My thought on CC on colleges is this....if this university president just happened to be in a classroom when a "deranged gunman" entered his college and started using his gun free zone as a live subject target range, would he change his mind on CC if he realized that it takes 7-12 minutes for an armed response from the police? Im thinking these presidents never stray further from their offices than need be for just that type of emergency, and if this gunman just happened to get into their office, Im sure their thinking is that they will shoot the receptionist before they get to them. Im also betting that if there was someone with a CC weapon there in the classroom that stopped the killing spree, that the university president would not only NOT acknowledge the positive presence of a weapon, but try to expel that person, even after they saved their sorry butts.

Just my two cents

7-12 minutes response time is absurd, especially on a small campus like IUPUI.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    In his place I would do the same thing. His dealing with facts on the ground. Without forewarning he knows people will freak out. What is wrong with the Dean being proactive and heading off unnecessary panic on his campus.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    This is stupid. The only point of this letter is to make sure all the sheeple don't **** their pants when they see people walking around with empty holsters. I guarantee if this were a protest against DOMA or in favor of marijuana legalization no letter would have been sent. But because this involves firearms everybody panics and freaks out.

What's funny is, the Universities screwed up response to the MWAG incident actually gave us at SCCC a s**t ton of likes on Facebook! We suddenly had 200 likes because of it. So, thank you Mr. Dean for the publicity!

wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Ill have to swing by carrying.... since I am not a student

Just do it on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday... I don't want to have to sit through another lockdown... I've got better things to do.

Just so I'm not misunderstood, it is known that campus officials are "gun shy" and overreact to even the most upstanding and legal possession of guns. It's all of our right to be armed, but at the same time, if it creates panic and chaos in the minds of simpering idiots, then that effects my day.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    This has been went over before here more than once and I did a big write up a couple weeks back. Its not illegal and they cant really "do" anything (ask you to leave,same as anywhere else). The Dean re-iterated in his letter that it is a school policy not law. If it was law then the college would not be allowed to make the "decision", it would be above their heads.
    The main reason I ask is because I'm not 100% sure on the ownership of the property. It's a community/public school and not private property, no?

I could be wrong - and that's why I am asking. If it *is* state owned property then how could they possibly ask you to leave?

They lock the school down for hours, shove the students in a basement and don't let them leave.
    I saw that - pretty ridiculous. If I were there and a student I'd have told them to shove it than I was going home.

Same policy as anywhere else (ask you to leave, etc.), but some people are looking into potential loop holes
    Yeah - is the IUPUI campus privately owned by the university or is it owned by the state?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    "Privately" owned by the whatever corporation IUPUI is filed under. Sure, it is a State-sponsored school, but it is also a separate corporate entity. This is different than a State "agency", which is actually a subset of the State Government.

Think of it as a nice loophole: all of the conveniences of a government body, and all the freedoms of a private entity.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    "Privately" owned by the whatever corporation IUPUI is filed under. Sure, it is a State-sponsored school, but it is also a separate corporate entity. This is different than a State "agency", which is actually a subset of the State Government.

Think of it as a nice loophole: all of the conveniences of a government body, and all the freedoms of a private entity.
    So what loopholes does that present to carry licenses? I mean, I would think it would blow down to sort of a difference between "property owner" and "manager" if it were to be tried. They own the rights to the school, but since tax dollars help pay for the property they shouldn't be permitted to enforce a policy which contradicts state law.

At least that would be my understanding based on what little I know about how such organizations are facilitated. :dunno:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...The decision to prohibit weapons (except in the hands of trained law enforcement personnel) on campus makes the IUPUI community a safer place.

Really? This policy change was not made until the mid 1990s, IIRC.

So, was IUPUI a more dangerous place before that? Nonsense.

Just goes to show we're going to need action by the General Assembly to fix this.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    The letter is ridiculous, but keep in mind that he may be partly trying to quell any panic from some liberal student who sees a holster and immediately calls 911 to report a shooter on campus. I think the reaction the last time a student THOUGHT she saw a gun demonstrated a need for the president to at least notify students. Now, could he have worded his letter differently? Yes. Will some idiot student still call 911? Probably. At least the school did a little CYA, which I'm sure their legal team advised them to do.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Really? This policy change was not made until the mid 1990s, IIRC.

So, was IUPUI a more dangerous place before that? Nonsense.

Just goes to show we're going to need action by the General Assembly to fix this.

You aren't interpreting this as my comment, are you?

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I went to IUPUI for about a year - didn't graduate [decided I'd just work for myself instead of getting some piece of paper from a university allowing me to work for somebody else].

I wonder what they would do if a non-student was on campus, it is public property, no?

I mean, you're legal if you have your LTCH... Just wondering what [if anything] they could do?

They locked down IUPUI and called in ISP and IMPD, to help do a do a cordon&sweep of the campus a couple weeks ago because some student saw a 'long gun', while some guy was getting something (books?) out of his trunk.
    My guess is that IU/Mayberry PD would first surround you with drawn guns :draw:<:laugh:before having a discussion about your LTCH.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    They locked down IUPUI and called in ISP and IMPD, to help do a do a cordon&sweep of the campus a couple weeks ago because some student saw a 'long gun', while some guy was getting something (books?) out of his trunk.
    My guess is that IU/Mayberry PD would first surround you with drawn guns :draw:<:laugh:before having a discussion about your LTCH.
    I wasn't so much asking what would happen as much as do I have the right to be there or is it private property. It seems the consensus [I've obviously not verified at this point] is that IUPUI property is private property.

GtEcH25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Bloomington

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    How about we just just OC and take our dogs for a walk. The university may be privately owned, but the city streets that run through it are completely public. It's not just one massive piece of property, it's multiple parcells. The city streets between those parcels are city property.

Wolverine6G

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    This is the first state ive lived in that allows open carry. I have yet to do it. Great job for these students to make a statement.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Carrying on campuses is not illegal at all, it is against the schools policy. IU Bloomington's policy is the same. If a person is located that is not affiliated with the university somehow and they have no need to be there will have be ran checked for a license to carry and then, depending on the time of day, maybe advised of trespass and asked to leave. If there are calls regarding a person just walking around with a holstered weapon the swat team will not convene, the school will not be on lockdown and the state police will not be guarding doors with shotguns. The incident at IUPUI involved a female subject saw a man with a "long gun" walking around a parking lot.
    The way I interpret the news story, a girl was walking through a parking lot toward a guy's car. she saw what she thought was a guitar in a gig bag, but when she went to his car to look in his trunk, she then thought it was a rifle case.

Top Bottom