• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I went to IUPUI for about a year - didn't graduate [decided I'd just work for myself instead of getting some piece of paper from a university allowing me to work for somebody else].

I wonder what they would do if a non-student was on campus, it is public property, no?

I mean, you're legal if you have your LTCH... Just wondering what [if anything] they could do?

The decision to prohibit weapons (except in the hands of trained law enforcement personnel) on campus makes the IUPUI community a safer place.

This has been went over before here more than once and I did a big write up a couple weeks back. Its not illegal and they cant really "do" anything (ask you to leave,same as anywhere else). The Dean re-iterated in his letter that it is a school policy not law. If it was law then the college would not be allowed to make the "decision", it would be above their heads.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Not enough, I am still unclear, are the holsters going to be empty or empty? The email was pretty cryptic....because if they are not empty empty empty empty, I am gonna need to call in a nut case carrying a gun....in "view"!!!!

You failed. The letter said the holsters will be EMPTY not empty. Note he CAPITILIZED the word EMPTY each time he wrote it. :D:n00b:

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I went to IUPUI for about a year - didn't graduate [decided I'd just work for myself instead of getting some piece of paper from a university allowing me to work for somebody else].

I wonder what they would do if a non-student was on campus, it is public property, no?

I mean, you're legal if you have your LTCH... Just wondering what [if anything] they could do?

They lock the school down for hours, shove the students in a basement and don't let them leave.

Don't you all remember what happened a couple of weeks ago on the call "MWAG" police and news choppers all over.

I know for a fact, because my daughter goes there and was locked up. I was less than happy with how the situation was dealt with.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I have an empty holster whenever I'm on the IUPUI campus. I don't need a special day to wear it. I'd have my gun on me too if I didn't feel it was REALLY important to graduate.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    We might have to remind Mr. Spratt of the fallacy of this:

"The decision to prohibit weapons (except in the hands of trained law enforcement personnel) on campus makes the IUPUI community a safer place."

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Amazing, these guys make their living off of our tax dollars, which to me makes them public servants, who are required to uphold the law, even when they may not agree with it. I fail to see in the constitution, where my second ammendment rights end at a university campus.

NOTHING surprises me in higher ed any more.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Time to bust out the training guns for a test run. :):
    Not advisable. Being as that is specifically stated as a guideline to refrain from, campus police will likely be called and intercede. That in itself is not a problem if the person is willing to put up with it the though.

The problem will be that that person will instantly be tied to the SCCC group by media and word of mouth. The entire group will then be slandered all over the place in the media earning us the typical gun owner stereotypes that the media and anti-gunners like to use to discredit the pro-gun movement, and which our group will be working very hard to help gun owners to eliminate.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

Same policy as anywhere else (ask you to leave, etc.), but some people are looking into potential loop holes

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Why designate a particular week to do this? I would do the empty holster thing often and randomly. If all those supporting carry on campus did that they would have to ban holsters, too. When holsters are banned find something else disruptively pro-2A to wear. Rinse and repeat.

Or put a cross or a rainbow flag on those holsters. Keep things stirred up.
    This particular campus is a little different than others being that it's downtown in Indy where it can garner the most attention. Our students aren't just merely students. Many of them are adults who have an ordinary life and families. Also, many of them are connected in various ways to other people in various revered political or economic positions which we can and intend to levy to help the pro-gun cause overall.

Since we have these connections and capabilities it's imperative that we play the cards right, not hurt our cause in any way, etc. If we hurt the public perception of what the group represents, those connections will not serve us or gun owners any good in the long run, which is our overall goal.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The hypocricy here is just staggering. Two statements highlighted above. Constitutional right to express themselves? They're really going to say they support constitutional rights when what they are protesting is the University's denial of the very next enumerated right?
    Good point, LOL. I didn't receive this notification, but I will be sure to bring it up next time I meet with him. :):

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Could someone please help me understand how it is not illegal to carry, let's say a concealed handgun, on a college campus in this state? I referenced my little Indiana Criminal Code book, and I.C. 35-47-9-2 says "any person who possess a firearm: 1- In or on school property; 2- In or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or; 3- On a school bus; commits a Class D felony"

So what am I missing? Thanks.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    They lock the school down for hours, shove the students in a basement and don't let them leave.

Don't you all remember what happened a couple of weeks ago on the call "MWAG" police and news choppers all over.

I know for a fact, because my daughter goes there and was locked up. I was less than happy with how the situation was dealt with.

Wouldn't this potentially constitute unlawful detention if the student wanted to leave?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    This has been went over before here more than once and I did a big write up a couple weeks back. Its not illegal and they cant really "do" anything (ask you to leave,same as anywhere else). The Dean re-iterated in his letter that it is a school policy not law. If it was law then the college would not be allowed to make the "decision", it would be above their heads.
    Those students will follow your advice in this as soon as you sign a document stating you will refund the money they've wasted due to the campus withholding their transcripts and expelling them. ;)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

The majority of doors and building don't even lock. She could have left as many others did all over campus. All they can do is "advise" her not to. If she was physically detained, then press charges.

I have this on recording from the administration. They have no legal authority to lock people in a location, period. Their leadership knows that.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    We might have to remind Mr. Spratt of the fallacy of this:

"The decision to prohibit weapons (except in the hands of trained law enforcement personnel) on campus makes the IUPUI community a safer place."
    That's what the protest is for. Active members are given flyers to give to people demonstrating this exact thought, as well as information on getting in touch with the group.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Could someone please help me understand how it is not illegal to carry, let's say a concealed handgun, on a college campus in this state? I referenced my little Indiana Criminal Code book, and I.C. 35-47-9-2 says "any person who possess a firearm: 1- In or on school property; 2- In or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or; 3- On a school bus; commits a Class D felony"

So what am I missing? Thanks.
    :ugh:

College campus is not included within the definition of "school property." That is K-12.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Wouldn't this potentially constitute unlawful detention if the student wanted to leave?
    If they were physically detained, yes. If they were simply advised over and over again verbally, then the decision to stay was still made by the other person. Keep in mind there's no law keeping law enforcement from lying to you, LOL.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I guess I'm just dense, but I figured a college was "school property."
    No. Colleges and universities are defined elsewhere. They generally do not fall into the category of "school property."

Check out the SCCC Facebook page. There was a post made several days back regarding laws and they pasted sections of the IC specifically referencing these portions, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Top Bottom