• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike D.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Sometimes we loose track of why we get long weekends or a day off from work. They are usually spent grilling out with family and friends. Remember we can only enjoy these times because of the Military men and women that fought and died for our freedom. All gave some, some gave all. I would like to thank my Grandpa and Dad for their service to our country. They didn't die while in service but still gave their duty to our country. The picture is of some of the metals my Grandpa received while serving during WW-2, including 2 purple hearts and 2 bronze stars. He received several scars and injuries, the worst of them was losing his right arm during "Operation Plunder" the crossing of the river Rhine. My Father served in Vietnam delivering supplies to various bases, driving a deuce and a half, then finished his tour by delivering documents to and from Chi Lai to Da Nang via chopper.

A big Salute and thank you to All that have served.
    WW-2.jpg

Yojimbo229

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2016
    NY
    A really good thought from Tim Kennedy...

"This is to all the veteran war fighters out there. If the shoe fits wear it. If it doesn't just shrug it off and recognize that it does not apply to you.

Memorial day is right around the corner. It is a troublesome and sometimes confusing day for a lot of people. A day when people walk up to us and to say "thanks for your service" not realizing that the person they're thanking feels guilty that they are alive and all of their friends are dead.
    It is a day we watch everyone have barbecues, drink beer, and enjoy the day off. Remember that this was the point of it all.
    I want my family and friends to live in ignorant bliss. Never having to know about the blood and screams.
    So on May 30th when somebody thanks you for service, don't be a ***** and correct them about the difference between veterans day and memorial day. Look around at the smiles on everyone's faces. Smell the smoke from the barbecue, kick back put your feet up and enjoy a beer. Live in the moment for a day. Be in the present appreciating our brothers that gave it all, and that they did it for a reason.
    Know that the people around you are doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing. They are doing what we fought and some died for. They are enjoying a FREE life. ‪#‎memorialday‬ ‪#‎freedom‬"

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A really good thought from Tim Kennedy...

"This is to all the veteran war fighters out there. If the shoe fits wear it. If it doesn't just shrug it off and recognize that it does not apply to you.

Memorial day is right around the corner. It is a troublesome and sometimes confusing day for a lot of people. A day when people walk up to us and to say "thanks for your service" not realizing that the person they're thanking feels guilty that they are alive and all of their friends are dead.
    It is a day we watch everyone have barbecues, drink beer, and enjoy the day off. Remember that this was the point of it all.
    I want my family and friends to live in ignorant bliss. Never having to know about the blood and screams.
    So on May 30th when somebody thanks you for service, don't be a ***** and correct them about the difference between veterans day and memorial day. Look around at the smiles on everyone's faces. Smell the smoke from the barbecue, kick back put your feet up and enjoy a beer. Live in the moment for a day. Be in the present appreciating our brothers that gave it all, and that they did it for a reason.
    Know that the people around you are doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing. They are doing what we fought and some died for. They are enjoying a FREE life. ‪#‎memorialday‬ ‪#‎freedom‬"

:yesway:

I'd like to add.
    You can remember those that have served and are no longer with us, AND have a good time with the family.
    These are not mutually exclusive items.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    They all paid the price for our freedom. Veterans are all respected in my family.
    Mother: WW2, USMC
    Father: WW2, USN
    Brother: RVN, US Army
    Uncle: WW2, MIA/KIA, USAAC, Repatriated 2003( Since 1944) Papau, New Guniea
    Great Uncle: WW2, POW, Corregidor, PI
    Grandfather: WW1, US Army
    God bless all.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    13315765_1059696800735492_7299925625828982469_n.jpg

13260211_1059696804068825_4180688111818867143_n.jpg

This was my community service today.
    :ingo:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Instead of football players, I always thought this was fitting for those reaching EAOS (End Active Obligatory Service)

From the movie, "The Replacements"

When the Washington Sentinels left the stadium that date, there was no tickertape parade, no endorsement deals for sneakers or soda pop, or breakfast cereal.
    Just a locker to be cleaned out, and a ride home to catch.
    But what they didn't know, was that their lives had been changed forever because they had been part of something great.
    And greatness, no matter how brief, stays with a man.

Pick up the speech at 3:40
    Picture a tired WWII soldier (or any other service or time) being discharged and going home.
    [video=youtube;pbZTXm-Oot0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbZTXm-Oot0[/video]

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I honor my two brothers, both officers in the US Army. One retired, and the other a Lieutenant Colonel at Ft. Leavenworth. Between the two of them, three tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan.

And I honor my grandfather, who went to France in WWI as part of an Aero Squadron, and came home, he thought, to die of Spanish flu, but he fooled them and lived on.
    And my uncle who built pontoon bridges in Germany and froze his feet during the battle of the bulge and came home disabled, but lived a good life (and brought back a German officer's Luger with leather holster, and a nice Mouser rifle).
    And my other uncle who was a corpsman in a Mash unit in Korea (and could never watch the TV show Mash for the memories it brought).
    And I especially honor the uncle that I never knew, who flew bomber missions in the south pacific, but who went down with all hands lost in 1943. My dad was 11 years old when the man delivered the telegram to my grandma telling her the news. He told me the story of that day only twice in my life and he wasn't able to finish the story either time without crying, even when he was 73 years old the last time he did.

And to all veterans, those who made it home and those who didn't. I humbly honor you all.

Top Bottom