• ...and so much more!
  • aporter

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Any thoughts on good medical supply purchases? I’m on a budget but the first aid kits are dwindling with two kids in sports, hiking and camping. I would like to create an IFAK for two kids, wife and myself as well as having kits in cars and larger kit at home. I guess even band-aids can hide from inflation.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Buying the prepackaged kits from Active Self Protection or Mountain Man Medical is a very expensive way to go. Compare the Big Asp for $245:

To this kit from Amazon:

RHINO RESCUE IFAK First Aid Trauma Kit Molle Medical Pouch for Tactical Military Car Travel Hiking (Black) https://a.co/d/b2O02Qk

Or this from Amazon:

Scherber Premium IFAK Kit Trauma Pack | HSA/FSA Approved | Fully Stocked MOLLE Pouch w/CAT Tourniquet, HyFin Chest Seal, & Israeli Bandage | Trauma Kit for Gunshot, Bleeding, Major Wound Care (Black) https://a.co/d/4Zh6aEM

Granted, the more expensive kit does have proceeds donated to charity, but you can always do that on your own.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was trying to figure out if buying individual items could be cheaper. Rolled gauze, suture kits, butterfly bandages etc.
    It was for me.

My blowout bag I keep in the car is a Voodoo Tactical medic bag. But rather than spend hundreds I bought just the bag for like $35 and bought everything else individually and rolled my own for FAR less than I found their complete kits.

aporter

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    It was for me.

My blowout bag I keep in the car is a Voodoo Tactical medic bag. But rather than spend hundreds I bought just the bag for like $35 and bought everything else individually and rolled my own for FAR less than I found their complete kits.
    I think that might be the route to take. I had those Walmart/Target first aid kits. Came in handy several times, but I like the idea of more detailed.

Thanks for the info.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think that might be the route to take. I had those Walmart/Target first aid kits. Came in handy several times, but I like the idea of more detailed.

Thanks for the info.
    You can always buy a cheap kit for the container, throw out the junk, and replace with what you really want. I did that with a kit I bought at a big box store. tossed the cheap a** plastic band-aids and replaced with good tough strips or name brand cloth ones.

Also you can buy first aid kit refills on amazon. I cant find it right off, but I bought a kit that was a mix of single use pouches of neosporin, burn cream, etc. 5 each instead of the boxes of 20 you find in the kits that hang on the wall at work.

Which is another way to forage for that stuff. A couple pouches every week and you got your kit! LOL

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    When I had an FSA account, it was either spend it or lose it at the end of each year. So whatever was left (had until march 30 of next year) I'd spend at fsastore.com. Bought lots of bandages, first aid kits and a trauma kit. I found it hard at the time to spend all $500 on stuff but if I did it now I'd just ordered more of everything.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I didn’t think about that. I don’t have a FSA but I do have a HSA. I assume medical supplies like that would qualify.
    no. HSA is more restrictive, (no first aid, OTC stuff) but it carries over.

FSA can be used for almost anything medical, but its use it or lose it annually.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I was trying to figure out if buying individual items could be cheaper. Rolled gauze, suture kits, butterfly bandages etc.

The short answer....yes. And allows you to tailor your kit to your families needs.

If your going to piece it out, don't get carried away with things like suture kits. You'll likely just control bleeding (gauze, butterflies, etc ), and go to ER. Unless you have antibiotics to give as well. Sepsis is no bueno.

Consider other things that are much more likely...a mylar blanket/life bivy for hypothermia. Pepto tablets and chewable aspirin are often overlooked as well (kiddos).

I have young ones, and also put a few dumdum suckers in the kit. It helps to distract when they are wailing from the sight of blood.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Any thoughts on good medical supply purchases? I’m on a budget but the first aid kits are dwindling with two kids in sports, hiking and camping. I would like to create an IFAK for two kids, wife and myself as well as having kits in cars and larger kit at home. I guess even band-aids can hide from inflation.

Here's my truck kit. Both vehicle kits and home kit are the same. There's always a surplus of bandaids in the bathroom cabinet. My hunting/camping/range kits are less encompassing, more trauma based. All kits receive the base layer of TQ, gauze, compression bandage, etc.

Everything in the following kit was pieced out individually. Ordered or scrounged from local stores, you just have to hunt for the right deal. It can be done for a fraction of the cost if you do the legwork.
    My favorite place is the "medical supply" store in your nearest small town: The place where you get oxygen supplies and wheelchairs. They typically have a better variety of goods as opposed to your standard CVS/Walgreens.

Certain items can be dollar store quality, like chem lights or aspirin brand. Don't skimp on things like TQ. I tried to list what I could remember without pulling it all out. Hope this helps!

cheap eBay med pouch from China
    Life Bivy
    NAR cat7 TQ/shears
    Knife with seatbelt cutter
    Energizer Headlamp
    CPR mask
    3 pair exam gloves
    Eye wash bottle
    Ace bandage
    Chem light
    Israeli bandage (also a tq/compression band)
    Cheaper mylar blanket (yes, another)
    Ziploc bag boo-boo kit (bandaids/aspirin/burn cream/etc.)
    Enough gauze to choke a donkey. (Seriously)

About the gauze...I buy individually packed sterile rolls, a few yards per. Better to open a new one than waste a whole roll opened. Easier to pack too.

IMG_20230906_023820866.jpg

IMG_20230906_024054509.jpg

IMG_20230906_024006659.jpg

aporter

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Here's my truck kit. Both vehicle kits and home kit are the same. There's always a surplus of bandaids in the bathroom cabinet. My hunting/camping/range kits are less encompassing, more trauma based. All kits receive the base layer of TQ, gauze, compression bandage, etc.

Everything in the following kit was pieced out individually. Ordered or scrounged from local stores, you just have to hunt for the right deal. It can be done for a fraction of the cost if you do the legwork.
    My favorite place is the "medical supply" store in your nearest small town: The place where you get oxygen supplies and wheelchairs. They typically have a better variety of goods as opposed to your standard CVS/Walgreens.

Certain items can be dollar store quality, like chem lights or aspirin brand. Don't skimp on things like TQ. I tried to list what I could remember without pulling it all out. Hope this helps!

cheap eBay med pouch from China
    Life Bivy
    NAR cat7 TQ/shears
    Knife with seatbelt cutter
    Energizer Headlamp
    CPR mask
    3 pair exam gloves
    Eye wash bottle
    Ace bandage
    Chem light
    Israeli bandage (also a tq/compression band)
    Cheaper mylar blanket (yes, another)
    Ziploc bag boo-boo kit (bandaids/aspirin/burn cream/etc.)
    Enough gauze to choke a donkey. (Seriously)

About the gauze...I buy individually packed sterile rolls, a few yards per. Better to open a new one than waste a whole roll opened. Easier to pack too.

View attachment 297586

View attachment 297588

View attachment 297587
    Thanks for all the info. The Dum-Dum suckers is a great idea.

So now, start with the supplies or start with buying a bag? I am thinking the bag so I can control the overall size.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

So now, start with the supplies or start with buying a bag? I am thinking the bag so I can control the overall size.

Ed Zachary. Feel free to PM if you have any more or more specific questions.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

OTC retail kits are full of cheap crap. So don’t be afraid to throw out stuff you don’t want if you really like the bag. It might be cheaper than buying a bag and starting from scratch.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes, everything in a normal kit should be eligible.

With my plan, I make the purchase with a rewards credit card, then reimburse myself.
    Receipts get saved at home incase of an audit.
    A lot of people overlook this. Seems every year we have to reimburse ourselves because expenses out pace contributions early In the year. Never been asked about it.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I would also agree with what's been said before. Buy the bag/container you want to store your gear in and then purchase what supplies you want separately. It will be cheaper and you can get exactly what you want and not cheap bulk stuff pre-made kits sometimes come with. If you decide to buy a kit, get one from a reputable company such as North American Rescue, Rescue Essentials...etc and not ones off Amazon.

Top Bottom