• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    What distance are the nearest berms on the pistol end of the range at MCFG? The website says 7 yards but walking it off is more like 10. Then there is another berm just behind and between the two closest ones...15 yards?
    And what about the line of rotating target stands. Looking at the range on Google maps they look even with th 25 yard rifle berm.
    Just curious. Been shooting there for a year now and would like to know what distance I am really shooting at. :dunno: Next time I go I'll be taking a long tape measure.

Newg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Westside of Indy.
    The advertised distances at the locations you are talking about are 7, 15, and 25. They may not be that. But, just think about how kick ass you will be at a true 7 yards when you have been practicing on a 10 that you thought was 7!

I guarantee if members were willing to pay a lot more for memberships, MCFG would be willing to have those distances certified.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I guarantee if members were willing to pay a lot more for memberships, MCFG would be willing to have those distances certified.

Who certifies those? Is there a governing body? Don't they have competitions there? You'd think it would be as advertised. I could see someone stapling a 100' tape measure at the stations if someone wanted to mark it off. Should cost about $10. Wouldn't be the most formal, but should serve the need.

The DNR range south of Ft. Wayne has staple guns free of charge and little four-wheeled carts. A tape measure should be doable without affecting fees.

I do need to join it though. I was going to a few months ago but the meeting times just aren't convenient for initiation.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Who certifies those? Is there a governing body? Don't they have competitions there? You'd think it would be as advertised. I could see someone stapling a 100' tape measure at the stations if someone wanted to mark it off. Should cost about $10. Wouldn't be the most formal, but should serve the need.

MCF&G is actually federal property, and I believe Weights & Measures is a state level regulatory agency. So, no, I don't see a certification in the works.

Newg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Westside of Indy.

The DNR range south of Ft. Wayne has staple guns free of charge and little four-wheeled carts. A tape measure should be doable without affecting fees.

I do need to join it though. I was going to a few months ago but the meeting times just aren't convenient for initiation.

Yes they have competitions there. The organizers of these competitions "certify" their distances to their own satisfaction.

Stapling a tape measure got you the distances that are currently advertised. If members want something better than that they can pay to have a surveyor out to nail the distances for them. Then it will be dead nuts. it will also be very expensive.

Top Bottom