• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just absolutely fabulous logic there. He has several other gems. I would love to see how quickly he asks for his armed security if he sees someone bashing in his office door at work

"
    BLOOMBERG: Well, it doesn't make any sense because you don't want people being vigilantes. They don't have the training; they don't have the expertise; there is no oversight. That's the police department's job. And all the statistics show if you, for example, have a gun at home, you're something like 22 times more likely to be killed by a gun. You picture this: somebody's banging on your door and says, I'm going to come in and kill you, and you say, wait a second: let me find the gun. Where did I put the ammunition? Where did I put the key? And this guy's got the gun out and you're (unintelligible) You're better off not having a gun."

Read more: CBS Enables NYC Mayor Bloomberg to Push For Gun Control | NewsBusters.org

Mad Brew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Franklin
    BLOOMBERG: And all the statistics show if you, for example, have a gun at home, you're something like 22 times more likely to be killed by a gun.."

I'd like to see the source on all these statistics.

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

JCDPA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    He's rich enough to make them up himself and publish them as if they were the word of god.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wait! He's the reason I put the lock on the gun and unloaded it at home. It's as if he doesn't want me to have any guns!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'd like to see the source on all these statistics.

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

That would be the long-discredited Kellerman "study".

From footnote #182 of Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths "Protection or Peril? An Analysis of Firearm-Related Deaths in the Home, Arthur L. Kellerman, D.T.
    Reay, 314 New Eng. J. Med. 1557-60, June 12, 1986. (Kellerman admits that his study did "not include
    cases in which burglars or intruders are wounded or frightened away by the use or display of a firearm." He
    also admitted his study did not look at situations in which intruders "purposely avoided a home known to
    be armed." This is a classic case of a “study” conducted to achieve a desired result. In his critique of this
    “study”, Gary Kleck notes that the estimation of gun ownership rates was “inaccurate”, and that the total
    population came from a non-random selection of only two cities.)"

Of note: The same Arthur Kellerman was quoted (footnote #132) as saying: “If you've got to resist, your chances of being hurt are less the more lethal your weapon. If that were my wife, would I want her to have a .38 Special in her hand? Yeah.”

Hope that helps! :)

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    BLOOMBERG: Well, it doesn't make any sense because you don't want people being vigilantes. They don't have the training; they don't have the expertise; there is no oversight. That's the police department's job. And all the statistics show if you, for example, have a gun at home, you're something like 22 times more likely to be killed by a gun. You picture this: somebody's banging on your door and says, I'm going to come in and kill you, and you say, wait a second: let me find the gun. Where did I put the ammunition? Where did I put the key? And this guy's got the gun out and you're (unintelligible) You're better off not having a gun."

You simply can't argue with logic like this.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Just absolutely fabulous logic there. He has several other gems. I would love to see how quickly he asks for his armed security if he sees someone bashing in his office door at work

"

Read more: CBS Enables NYC Mayor Bloomberg to Push For Gun Control | NewsBusters.org
    You're just better off letting them break in and shoot you. Just as in DC where they tell their citizens it is best to just let the bad guy do what they want and get it over with.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Thanks Bill, I found a follow-up article from the Journal of Trauma from the same guy in 1988

Injuries and Deaths Due to Firearms in the Home : The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery

Looked at 626 shootings in 3 cities over 12-18 months. They are Seattle, Galveston, and Memphis, you know...typical suburban areas. 118 were suicides, and 438 were assault/homicides.

They are stating that suicide is often a spontaneous decision and if a gun is available you're likely to complete it. If you have a gun in the house you are considerably more likely to use it in domestic violence.

"For every time a gun in the home was used in a self-defense or legally justifiable shooting, there were four unintentional shootings, seven criminal assaults or homicides, and 11 attempted or completed suicides."

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    "

Or if you live in one of the free states you can keep the ammo in your gun.

BTW, here's what the citizens of NYC would be REALLY be saying...

"Wait, let me get my gun," and so they spend a whole bunch of time and money down at the police station, and then NYPD says "no." And in they mean time the BG shoots your dog and rapes your wife, because he doesn't have to go through any of the legal hoops and doesn't have to be rich or politically connected to get a gun.

joale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    How does a person get so rich and still be so stupid?

It's not stupidity. It's intentional misinformation to push a political agenda...knowing that the masses won't attempt to validate his claims.

This is also the guy who got the term limit waived in NY so he could get a third term. Good politician=great liar ...or simply well adjusted to choosing certain 'facts' to support his claims (depending on your point of view). :)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    So let me get this straight, bad guy kicks in door and says he's going to kill you so instead of loading a gun and protecting yourself (not sure why it's unloaded in the first place), you're better off just giving in? Shouldn't we call the police first and let them know where to find the body?

Top Bottom