Mature Whitetail Buck Harvest Highest Ever Reported in U.S.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I love the **** slinging when it comes to deer hunting. I don’t give a **** how or what someone chooses to hunt so long as they follow the rules.

I prefer hunting mature bucks. I’ve been hunting again for the past 8 years. In that time I’ve spent tens of thousands of dollars stimulating small, rural communities in several states, added considerably to the the taxes which go directly to help wildlife management, lost several places to hunt, busted my ass on several pieces of property improving habitat and I’ve killed five deer. Clearly I’m causing problems.

Give me a ****ing break

If any old bucks tastes the same as any other and they both taste the same as a doe then why the hell does it matter if a non “trophy” hunter can only kill one buck? You can kill an entire herd of does in this state, why does it matter? Obviously killing a buck means “something” vs killing a doe or the ”real” hunters wouldn’t give a **** either way. The term “trophy” is subjective and some people just can’t help but bitch about what other people do.

You can sure as hell kill more deer in Indiana then you could back in the “good old days” of killing two bucks a year. More meat in the freezer is a bad thing for the meat (real) hunters I guess. Seems like strange math to me but what do I know.

Anyone who believes deer hunting in Indiana is worse now than it was in the 80’s doesn’t consider actually seeing deer to be a good thing apparently. The buy a shotgun and box of shells at Walmart the day before the season opener, wear your hunting clothes into Waffle House before crashing through the woods 30 minutes after daylight to sit on a stump in the woods crowd sure as hell aren’t responsible for the huge improvements in deer hunting in this state or this country over the past several decades.

Hunt what you want, follow the rules and stop pissing and moaning about how others hunt provided they’re doing the same. Maybe even recognize that trophy hunting is largely responsible for the improved numbers and deer habitat in this state. FFS

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not a trophy hunter. Period. But why shoot a spike or little guy? I want 100 pounds of meat not 40 or 50. I get one buck so I want a nice one. We are seeing more deer than ever and enjoying it because we're letting small ones and does pass. Yes, I hunt private land. 48 acres a buddy has. A land baron I am not. I hunted state ground for the first twenty years I hunted. And did well there too. Got a deer every year.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I love the **** slinging when it comes to deer hunting. I don’t give a **** how or what someone chooses to hunt so long as they follow the rules.

I prefer hunting mature bucks. I’ve been hunting again for the past 8 years. In that time I’ve spent tens of thousands of dollars stimulating small, rural communities in several states, added considerably to the the taxes which go directly to help wildlife management, lost several places to hunt, busted my ass on several pieces of property improving habitat and I’ve killed five deer. Clearly I’m causing problems.

Give me a ****ing break

If any old bucks tastes the same as any other and they both taste the same as a doe then why the hell does it matter if a non “trophy” hunter can only kill one buck? You can kill an entire herd of does in this state, why does it matter? Obviously killing a buck means “something” vs killing a doe or the ”real” hunters wouldn’t give a **** either way. The term “trophy” is subjective and some people just can’t help but bitch about what other people do.

You can sure as hell kill more deer in Indiana then you could back in the “good old days” of killing two bucks a year. More meat in the freezer is a bad thing for the meat (real) hunters I guess. Seems like strange math to me but what do I know.

Anyone who believes deer hunting in Indiana is worse now than it was in the 80’s doesn’t consider actually seeing deer to be a good thing apparently. The buy a shotgun and box of shells at Walmart the day before the season opener, wear your hunting clothes into Waffle House before crashing through the woods 30 minutes after daylight to sit on a stump in the woods crowd sure as hell aren’t responsible for the huge improvements in deer hunting in this state or this country over the past several decades.

Hunt what you want, follow the rules and stop pissing and moaning about how others hunt provided they’re doing the same. Maybe even recognize that trophy hunting is largely responsible for the improved numbers and deer habitat in this state. FFS
    You`re entitled to your LOUD opinion. Mine differs from yours and obviously that pisses you off. Bummer.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I'm not a trophy hunter. Period. But why shoot a spike or little guy? I want 100 pounds of meat not 40 or 50. I get one buck so I want a nice one. We are seeing more deer than ever and enjoying it because we're letting small ones and does pass. Yes, I hunt private land. 48 acres a buddy has. A land baron I am not. I hunted state ground for the first twenty years I hunted. And did well there too. Got a deer every year.
    And it`s great that you have YOUR expectations and guidelines. Someone else`s are probably different. If someone hunts ethically and legally, they can shoot whatever makes THEM happy...not everyone "let`s small ones and does pass". They can kill whatever they like so long as it`s a legal kill.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Spotlighting deer is NOT fair chase. Is this a serious question?
    Yes it was since I wasn't thinking about spotlighting and have no idea what you mean by fair chase. I'm sorry you decided to take offense to my question even though I prefaced my question with "I don't deer hunt."

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    A hunter in Huntington County could have shot seven deer last year. Three hunters on the piece we hunt chose to take three. Our neighbors chose to take less to let the herd increase.
    We get to hunt that piece because we work hard to keep it up and we cut wood for the owner. The guy hunting the neighbors place got tossed. He cut his own wood there and did nothing for the owners to earn the privilege.

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    How much land do you own, paid any taxes on recreational land " Un Farmed " if an owner can make some extra cash leasing it out why shouldn't he? I don't but you can bet your ass if we didn't hunt the land it would be leased out for money or work hours

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    How much land do you own, paid any taxes on recreational land " Un Farmed " if an owner can make some extra cash leasing it out why shouldn't he? I don't but you can bet your ass if we didn't hunt the land it would be leased out for money or work hours
    Forty acres in Michigan. $4000.00 a year in taxes.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    And it`s great that you have YOUR expectations and guidelines. Someone else`s are probably different. If someone hunts ethically and legally, they can shoot whatever makes THEM happy...not everyone "let`s small ones and does pass". They can kill whatever they like so long as it`s a legal kill.
    Doesn’t stop some from bitching about it apparently.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Yes it was since I wasn't thinking about spotlighting and have no idea what you mean by fair chase. I'm sorry you decided to take offense to my question even though I prefaced my question with "I don't deer hunt."
    You didn`t say you don`t deer hunt...you said you`re not a trophy hunter...

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    If you think that everyone that leases land to hunt are Trophy hunters you have no clue about the “state of things”.Period
    1000% agree. I lease land (40acre) and it is used as a grocery store. Small game, deer, turkey, morel mushrooms, wild blackberries, chicken of the woods, etc.

I "micro manage" my game population as best I can. I do try to take at least 1 doe every year. Don't want to over do it. I'm not a fan of the late season hunts. I miss the days of larger herds. Seems the "kill em all" mentality is rampant.

Talk to the neighbors about how it all effects the area (farming, gardening,...) Movement patterns and behavior is done through scouting and minding crop rotation.

All in all, this fulfills my beloved hobby as well as ours food on my kids plates. THAT is Hoosier Hunting.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You didn`t say you don`t deer hunt...you said you`re not a trophy hunter...
    Post #19 which you literally quoted in post #23. :facepalm:

"Not that I care since I don't deer hunt, but what does fair chase have to do with night hunting?"

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Post #19 which you literally quoted in post #23. :facepalm:

"Not that I care since I don't deer hunt, but what does fair chase have to do with night hunting?"

I got 2 posts confused...a lot going on here.

By the way, what happened to the original post? The troll may have run after stirring up all this crap.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    I got 2 posts confused...a lot going on here.

By the way, what happened to the original post? The troll may have run after stirring up all this crap.
    Look in the mirror the picture will be clearer.

The only troll here is you with your misguided information and opinion with no facts!

Things getting a little itchy for you when the lite of truth in shining in you eyes!

Keep making excuses we are all watching.

Got any old screen names your still using? Hunter480 maybe

Last edited:
    Top Bottom