1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ... Some of the instructors and participants will have potty mouths...What is/isn't tolerated in and around the home, language wise is a whole other ballgame when it comes to determining someone's intent if they're approached...

This class might be interesting to me, because it sounds like it deals with the "gray area" before a fight begins ("gray" to me meaning that justification for deadly force has not been established yet). I think we've all been in those situations several times. So I'm curious; what is the benefit of profanity if intentions have not been determined yet? Is the referenced profanity simply D.I. style "hardening" coming from the trainer's mouth...freudian-slips from the student's mouth...or an intentional defensive tactic which is being taught to people? If it's coming from the mouth of the "play-attacker" in a training environment, I can see how that could have a beneficial "hardening" effect on the mind of the trainee. But the third case seems like it could be problematic, if you're rehearsing something which could be construed or mis-construed as "provocation" when used in an actual gray encounter (ie, ventilating someone is not justified yet).

I mean this as a serious question, given that people seem to get their feelings hurt so easily these days. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what's being said here, and someone could elaborate.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    if you're rehearsing something which could be construed or mis-construed as "provocation" when used in an actual gray encounter (ie, ventilating someone is not justified yet).

I mean this as a serious question, given that people seem to get their feelings hurt so easily these days. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what's being said here, and someone could elaborate.

The semantics aspect is addressed in the class. There is a huge difference between "Back the **** up!!" and "Back up mother****er!!". The former is an assertive command in language designed to attract/draw attention, while the latter is an insult that may require the ****um to act or escalate to save face.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This class might be interesting to me, because it sounds like it deals with the "gray area" before a fight begins ("gray" to me meaning that justification for deadly force has not been established yet). I think we've all been in those situations several times. So I'm curious; what is the benefit of profanity if intentions have not been determined yet? Is the referenced profanity simply D.I. style "hardening" coming from the trainer's mouth...freudian-slips from the student's mouth...or an intentional defensive tactic which is being taught to people? If it's coming from the mouth of the "play-attacker" in a training environment, I can see how that could have a beneficial "hardening" effect on the mind of the trainee. But the third case seems like it could be problematic, if you're rehearsing something which could be construed or mis-construed as "provocation" when used in an actual gray encounter (ie, ventilating someone is not justified yet).

I have been in situations where loud and clear but not profane language did not get the point across. Drop the F bomb with the same sentence and the asshat scurried away. So I know what they teach in the class works and works well. Take the class and be more prepared.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    As of today, this class is half full. At this rate it will sell out. Thanks to those who have already signed up. For those who want to come, but haven't signed up, don't wait too long.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I'm anxious to see your daughter cuss Mike out in the scenarios then beat him up on the mats after class.

She has great command of vocabulary. I just told her she was in the class. She has no idea what the context is. I think she will be fine.

Top Bottom