• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I went for a painfully long walk the other day and came to the realization that my current GHB isn't working the way I'd like. It's a laptop-style messenger bag, and while it does great for that sort of thing, it's not a good GHB because it's not comfortable to carry..

Here's what I'm looking for..

Backpack Style

One compartment for my shooting stuffs

One compartment for a couple MREs and a light jacket/gloves/etc

Extra pockets for knickknackies

Side Pockets for water bottles

REQUIREMENT - it's gotta be something I can carry around on a daily basis. I've got big packs and stuff like that, but I'm looking for something small enough that I won't look goofily out-of-place if I'm walking down the sidewalk. This isn't just a bag to stash in my trunk or something, I'm also going to carry it on a pretty frequent basis.

Ideas? 5.11's 24 Hour Pack looks nice, but that's the only bag I've found so far in my magazines. Somebody edumacate me!!!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Camelbak Mule, my favorite for a run, ride, or for daily travel. I have one in each of the trucks (BOB), and a third for hunting/camping/trail marathons. Good size, very comfortable even when heavily loaded, and the Fobus clips to the front strap for quiet OC, Glock right at your hand when the dogs come at me on a run.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have messenger bags, tote bags, duffle bags, range bags, book bags, internal frames, external frames.

They all have their uses, however the ones that gets the most use is a single pocketed, single strapped, large single flapped haversack (try saying that three times really fast) & an old college book bag (soft non-framed backpack) that is just the typical two zippered compartments (one small front, one large main).

Anyway I keep the haversack loaded with crap that needs to be easily accessed but also needs to be easily grabbed in case of SHTF (medical testing supplies along with a couple months worth of prescriptions).

While the inconspicous book bag / soft backpack gets used to tote around summer stuff like a fullsized handgun & a couple of magazines (if I am wearing shorts), first aid kit, our GMRS/FRS handsets, a soft-sided small cooler w/food & drinks), camera equipment, an outdoor (weather proofed) picnic blanket tote, a small Trianga stove & bottle of alcohol fuel, a lighter, skewers, sunblock, insect repellent, I think you get the idea.

I did have a nice leather messenger bag that I had used for years as a GHB, it was small but held alot of stuff in a very organized and easy to access way & was easy to carry but I think it got stolen out of my truck because I haven't been able to find it, I of course blamed my girlfriend because she is always forgetting to lock up vehicles or the house, let's just say we grew up in two entirely different parts of town.

AB9ID

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Noblesville, IN
    I work in telephony as a field technician. I use one of those wide mouthed bags you can get at any home improvement center or electrical supply store. They're sturdy and cavernous. With the sling I can comfortably carry all the tools I need.

Though I have seen something like these CLC 75 Pocket Backpack Tool Bags. It has pockets and slots for all manner goodies.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    I'm going to suggest something different... Its not a "tactical" bag, but how about looking into a Jansport brand backpack at dicks, kohls, etc...

It is a very common brand (you won't stand out) and from my experience they hold up well. I have one of their backpacks, made our of the Mine here at school has withstood me for the past three years, and I' confident it will so just fine my senior year. It gets tossed around,sling up to my shoulders, flopped to the ground, etc... while carrying a days worth of text books, a computer, and maybe an additional textbook to study with later in the day. Its been backpasking in HNF, fourwheeling in michigan, a range bag, a suitcase, and anyhting else I need it for.

Similarly, the only backpack I wasn't able to completely distroy within a month during elementry, middle, and highschool was an old spalding backpack my dad picked up for me in the 2nd grade. I eventually gave up on trying to find a new one and carried it as far as my freshman year in college when I found the Jansport bag, but I can't vouch for Spalding's quality now, or even know if they make a backpack, as second grade was a while ago.

I know I'll probably get another Jansport for my BOB, but wouldn't hesitate in giving spalding another look.

EDIT: The one I have Big Student in black, but I've seen a few nice OD ones around here.
    The one's I'm thinking about for my BOB This one or This one

Last edited:

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    :yesway: on the Jansport. They work great and are cheaper and don't have the "tactical timmy" look.

I'm going to suggest something different... Its not a "tactical" bag, but how about looking into a Jansport brand backpack at dicks, kohls, etc...

It is a very common brand (you won't stand out) and from my experience they hold up well. I have one of their backpacks, made our of the Mine here at school has withstood me for the past three years, and I' confident it will so just fine my senior year. It gets tossed around,sling up to my shoulders, flopped to the ground, etc... while carrying a days worth of text books, a computer, and maybe an additional textbook to study with later in the day. Its been backpasking in HNF, fourwheeling in michigan, a range bag, a suitcase, and anyhting else I need it for.

Similarly, the only backpack I wasn't able to completely distroy within a month during elementry, middle, and highschool was an old spalding backpack my dad picked up for me in the 2nd grade. I eventually gave up on trying to find a new one and carried it as far as my freshman year in college when I found the Jansport bag, but I can't vouch for Spalding's quality now, or even know if they make a backpack, as second grade was a while ago.

I know I'll probably get another Jansport for my BOB, but wouldn't hesitate in giving spalding another look.

EDIT: The one I have Big Student in black, but I've seen a few nice OD ones around here.
    The one's I'm thinking about for my BOB This one or This one

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've got the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack, and it certainly lives up to it's claims in quality and durability. Used it last year during our trip to Puerto Rico, and, in tan, it doesn't stand out as tactical to most people. It held my camera, water bottle, snacks, first aid kit, plus other stuff you might need on a walkabout. It was comfortable, and kept everything safe. Walked all over Old San Juan, and hiking through tropical rain forest with it.

0412k3_1186_general.jpg

I normally keep this in my car at work, as it's only 60 feet or so from my office.

Now, I would also say this isn't a suitable everyday carry everything to the office kind of bag. I can't fit a large notebook, or papers in this thing.

I would suggest if you're going to carry with it, get the holster they make for it. I still need to buy that, so the gun isn't always position right when I open the bag to check on it.

I also keep a larger backpack in my vehicle which carries the serious gear, shelter, spare socks, stove, fuel, food, and a bunch of other essentials.

BTW I'm to bags, boots, and knives like my wife is with purses, shoes, and jewelry. Can never have to many, and have yet to find that's "just right."

I'm looking for a new camera bag right now, that is big enough for my digital SLR, plus 1-2 lenses, flash, spare gear, and room left over for snacks, a drink holder, AND doesn't shout rob me, I'm a photographer, when it's closed.

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I tried a Versipack and it's not quite big enough for my intended use. I think a messenger bag that would be may look a little silly, honestly, so the backpack is probably a better deal..

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Got it yet? I'm definitely interested at this price

no not yet its being shipped from ...china:eek: I pretty sure its a replica of the maxpedition colossus versipack. I couldn't pass it up for $25 shipped so when I get it I'll let you know if it's good or not.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Top Bottom