• ...and so much more!
  • g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    My dad and I were driving back from Warsaw Rifle and Pistol Club after their USPSA match yesterday. Somewhere between Warsaw and Plymouth an East bound ISP officer clocked us (dad driving) at 75+(yeah he drives fast), and swung around to pull us over. The trooper came up on the passenger side and was very professional and courteous from the start. He simply asked if we knew why we were pulled over and how fast we were going.

He then saw our shooting shirts and asked if we have been fishing (since they look like a fishing team shirt as well). Dad told him we were shooting (oh great here comes the questions about where da gats at), and the trooper immediately sounded excited and talked shooting and a little politics for a few. We asked if he was an Oath Keeper, and he said, "hell yes." He went on to say there are a large number of "good guys" in blue. He came back to the truck with a warning and we were off.

I wish all stops could be this positive. I just felt like sharing since mostly we hear about stops gone wrong.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    He knew he was outgunned. His stock Sig vs 2 race guns, he didn't stand a chance.

Props to the trooper for not stealing your wallets too!

I travel that part of 30 often. It's almost as bad as 294 in Chicago. But there are LEO's around on a study basis.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    "You guys playing cards?"

It is good to remember that the gun culture is composed of a great swath of law enforcement. Some of the "heroes" of the gun culture served as full or part-time law enforcement.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    He knew he was outgunned. His stock Sig vs 2 race guns, he didn't stand a chance.

Props to the trooper for not stealing your wallets too!

I travel that part of 30 often. It's almost as bad as 294 in Chicago. But there are LEO's around on a study basis.

You did check to make sure you still have your wallets, didn't you? :D

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My dad and I were driving back from Warsaw Rifle and Pistol Club after their USPSA match yesterday. Somewhere between Warsaw and Plymouth an East bound ISP officer clocked us (dad driving) at 75+(yeah he drives fast), and swung around to pull us over. The trooper came up on the passenger side and was very professional and courteous from the start. He simply asked if we knew why we were pulled over and how fast we were going.

He then saw our shooting shirts and asked if we have been fishing (since they look like a fishing team shirt as well). Dad told him we were shooting (oh great here comes the questions about where da gats at), and the trooper immediately sounded excited and talked shooting and a little politics for a few. We asked if he was an Oath Keeper, and he said, "hell yes." He went on to say there are a large number of "good guys" in blue. He came back to the truck with a warning and we were off.

I wish all stops could be this positive. I just felt like sharing since mostly we hear about stops gone wrong.

Lucky for your Dad.

I got pulled over Sat for driving 73 mph on 465. The officer (Beech Grove oddly) told me I was "going too fast for a warning."

He was very professional, but I guess he didn't see my INGO sticker on the back window because I pulled away with a ticket in hand.

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    Sorry to be THAT guy, but, little irresponsible going that fast isn't it? I've seen some bad stuff happen on these dirty old roads in 17 years driving a truck. Mostly speed related. I've done my time speeding everywhere thinking I would die if I didn't get where I was going RIGHT NOW. But after you see a couple fatal accidents wholly responsible because of driving too fast you change your tune.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Yeah, very lucky it was ISP. The deputies and associated locals really enjoy that revenue maker (US-30) through their towns. Could have even found yourself a victim of civil forfeiture for that "arsenal" in your car.

Folks don't stop in town to spend their money any more, so they'll stop you and fine you on the highway instead. Some have even been given tickets for 'We just made that up' violations. Ruthless, and you'll only be arguing your case to their Judge buddy who has already made his decision.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

I have always thought that most of the guys in blue were good guys. All to often, all we hear about are the real bad guys or the ones that the mudia paint as bad.

:+1:to the men in blue.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Congrats on the positive encounter!

Sorry to be THAT guy, but, little irresponsible going that fast isn't it? I've seen some bad stuff happen on these dirty old roads in 17 years driving a truck. Mostly speed related. I've done my time speeding everywhere thinking I would die if I didn't get where I was going RIGHT NOW. But after you see a couple fatal accidents wholly responsible because of driving too fast you change your tune.

I'm thinking most accidents would be related to speed and distracted driving / not paying attention. Speed by itself is rarely a problem, at least IMO.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah, I was very lucky it was ISP. The deputies and associated locals really enjoy that revenue maker (US-30) through their towns. Could have even found yourself a victim of civil forfeiture for that "arsenal" in your car.

Folks don't stop in town to spend their money any more, so they'll stop you and fine you on the highway instead. Some have even been given tickets for 'We just made that up' violations. Ruthless, and you'll only be arguing your case to their Judge buddy who has already made his decision.

...words never spoken in the Indy metro area, lol

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    Congrats on the positive encounter!

I'm thinking most accidents would be related to speed and distracted driving / not paying attention. Speed by itself is rarely a problem, at least IMO.

Distracted driving has taken over the top spot, but the last numbers I saw from iihsa put speed related still accounts for more than a quarter of fatal accidents

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    It sounds worse than it is. Most cruise there going 70. I at first didn't think he was coming for us because the car in front of us was going just as fast. But he just turned into the round about spot as that car passed and turned his radar on us first (radar dectector). So, we were the ones he lit up. I would venture to guess a lot of those speed related accidents had to do with passing cars that were holding up the flow of traffic.

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    I'm with you on the speeding and distracted driving, one generally leads to the other. There's also a matter of reaction distance. There's a whole process to crash avoidance. Perception, decision, reaction, and mechanical time and distance play a factor. The higher the speed, the higher the distance. Where distracted driving only effects the perception part, speeding effects all parts. Plus, I'd much rather run into something after slowing down 20 mph from 60 mph than after slowing down 20 mph from 75 mph.

Like I always say, speed limits are there for a reason. They don't just poll a random group of people and let them decide what to set it at. There is a team of engineers that take many aspects of transportation into account when setting those. Driving takes on a whole different aspect when you industrialize it and start taking a closer look at how transportation and logistics actually works. I've been on 30, 20 and 2 a lot through the years, I know how peer pressure works.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I've got a friend that is ISP. He broke it down quite well when he explained that as a state guy he has a HUGE area to cover which also means if he is an ass and makes a stop turn into a fight the nearest ISP officer might be over 30minutes away at best. He went on to joke about municipal (Carmel, IMPD) cops being jerks because they know they are a radio and 5 minutes tops from having backup.

That reads kinda rough, he was saying it as a humorous comparison. :)

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    You do what you do, I'm just saying that after 4 million preventable accident and incident free miles, I'm not in a hurry to lose that. I still completely stop at stop signs, look left, right, left before pulling out into the roadway, and stick close to the speed limit no matter how much the people behind me well up with tears and beat on their steering wheel.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I've got a friend that is ISP. He broke it down quite well when he explained that as a state guy he has a HUGE area to cover which also means if he is an ass and makes a stop turn into a fight the nearest ISP officer might be over 30minutes away at best. He went on to joke about municipal (Carmel, IMPD) cops being jerks because they know they are a radio and 5 minutes tops from having backup.

That reads kinda rough, he was saying it as a humorous comparison. :)

So let me get this straight, he work Indy metro area, or close enough to it that he can refer to CPD/IMPD as "Jerks," but he's 30 minutes away from backup? Odd. I won't dispute rural areas, but round these parts, ISP is the last agency you want to be pulled over by.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    So let me get this straight, he work Indy metro area, or close enough to it that he can refer to CPD/IMPD as "Jerks," but he's 30 minutes away from backup? Odd. I won't dispute rural areas, but round these parts, ISP is the last agency you want to be pulled over by.

I may be confused, I'm using "ISP" to mean Indiana State Police. Our kids have events together and he is the only ISP officer I've ever had contact with (other than a guy I met shooting FNS once). He works all over the state and doesn't actually think any specific PD is the stereotypical jerk. He was more saying that he feels he has to make extra effort to be a "nice cop" because backup is at LEAST 30 minutes away if he were to upset someones fragile ego with an over-expression of authority. The conversation started off with someone else asking him if he'd had to be in any confrontations. He said in the many years he's done this he's only had one guy try to get physical and he was so drunk he couldn't stand up.

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    Indy metro cops crack me up. Late at night you can catch some of them on the Cb chatting with the local idiot brigade down on S Harding. They kill me with some of the stuff they come up with.

Top Bottom