• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    The Art of the Tactical Carbine Two is a 4-disc DVD set featuring over four hours of actual live fire class instruction and additional instructional material.
    Instructors Travis Haley and Chris Costa take Carbine operation to the next level. An informative and exhilarating Dynamic Carbine class that focuses on pushing to your failure points and finding the perfect balance between speed and accuracy.

Using real advanced shooters from the shooting industry, law enforcement SWAT, and military special operations, this DVD set will show that no matter what level of the game you are in, you always have the ability to excel.

YouTube - The Art of the Tactical Carbine Volume II

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I'm sure there's an explnation, but what's up with the 'gangsta' shooting position?

Doug K

ps Mark, think I can borrow your vids tomorrow?

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure there's an explnation, but what's up with the 'gangsta' shooting position?

Something you always have to worry about using any optic is holdover - the difference between the center of the scope and the center of the barrel.

Holding the gun on its side like that allows the shooter to have more of their body mass (read: head) behind cover while still engaging the target by greatly reducing or even eliminating vertical hold over. Now, remember that hold over isn't actually totally eliminated by doing this, it is just moved to (in the video) the right side of the rifle.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Something you always have to worry about using any optic is holdover - the difference between the center of the scope and the center of the barrel.

Holding the gun on its side like that allows the shooter to have more of their body mass (read: head) behind cover while still engaging the target by greatly reducing or even eliminating vertical hold over. Now, remember that hold over isn't actually totally eliminated by doing this, it is just moved to (in the video) the right side of the rifle.

Yep, I thought about the hold over but as you said, it's just as bad, just to the side, rather than high. I'm thinking if you are that close and shooting center mass, you should still be hitting either way. Might as well go for the more comfortable shooting position!

Doug K

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I heard he is in the group that thinks that resting the magazine on the deck when firing is a no-no.

IIRC, in the first DVD Costa says that, then Travis follows up and seems to contradict him. They also mention SPORTS, which I thought had long ago gone the way of the dinosaur with most tactical trainers. Both those things struck me as kind of anachronistic, given how "cutting edge" a lot of their other concepts and methods seem to be. :dunno:

I guess I'll find out in person next month. :)

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    it should be a more fluid video, travis himself said when they filmed the first video costa had just been hired and it was there very first time working together and admitted it left something to be desired and this time around they raised the bar.

Top Bottom